Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ryse: Son of Rome

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 22, 2013

Set in ancient Rome circa 68 A.D, this third-person action game follows Marius Titus as he sets out to avenge his fallen family. Developed by Crytek as an exclusive Xbox One launch game.

I really want to buy Ryse but cannot justify the $60

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By bigsocrates

When I first heard about Ryse it was on a bunch of podcasts where everyone was saying that it looked absolutely terrible and would be the worst launch game for either of the new systems. Because of this I didn't even consider pre-ordering it. Then the XBONE actually came out and reviews, even from those podcasters, were that the game was shallow but pretty, hyper violent, and reasonably fun. I am really in the mood for a game like that, and I thoroughly enjoyed Conan, which seems like the 360/PS3 equivalent, but I know the experience will be disposable and I can't justify spending $60 on a digital game that will just sit on my hard drive/account like a badge of shame for the rest of the time I own my console, reminding me that I paid more than it was worth, which in my twisted mind is worse than buying a game at a good price and never playing it.

A game like this is a guilty pleasure, to be bought for $15, played over a weekend, and put away. Even though I can afford the game I know I'd feel bad about buying it at full price, taken advantage of. But launch titles tend to lose value slower than most because there will be nothing else to play on the Xbone for the next few months, and lots of folks will be getting Xbones for Christmas, looking for stuff to play.

I guess I'll just try to play Remember Me from my backlog and then break down and buy Ryse while drunk at 1:30 in the morning.

P.S. Whenever I think of Ryse I am reminded of Gladius, one of my favorite RPGs of all time. I guess with Lucasarts gone we'll never see a sequel. Another reason to hate Ryse! Damn it Ryse, why aren't you a Gladius sequel?

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By bigjeffrey

Rent it?

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, seems like it is dropping in price, slowly. The msrp seems to be at $60, but as long as you don't mind making the rounds through amazon marketplace and ebay in the coming weeks, I don't see why it wouldn't be feasible to get it for 45 shipped.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@bigsocrates: Rent it or buy it once it's on sale. Plenty of people make judgment calls that a game isn't currently worth the price to them at the time. All that comes with that is possibly playing the game later than you might optimally like. Eventually, you'll play it though. :)

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By bigsocrates

Rent it?

This would be a good plan if there were a decent rental place near me. Alas there is not! And I'm not going to get a gamefly account for Ryse because then I will forget to cancel and end up paying more than $60.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_Ruiner

So wait a bit and buy it used at Gamestop. If you don't like it you can take it back.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Justin258

I'm sure if you looked around, you could find some dumb fun pretty easily.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigjeffrey said:

Rent it?

This would be a good plan if there were a decent rental place near me. Alas there is not! And I'm not going to get a gamefly account for Ryse because then I will forget to cancel and end up paying more than $60.

I think you would have to have a lapse of judgement for like 4-5 months for a gamefly single sub to exceed 60$ though. Even if you forget to cancel your free trial after 30 days the worst case scenario is that you are billed once, by the time that sub is up you will probably be finished with Ryse and only be out of pocket 15-17$(or how ever much a sub at gamefly is these days). Anyways, hope ya find a way to get it worked out, sounds like Ryse is important to ya.

FlaminB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It will not be $60 forever. I'll bet anything it will be $20 new, $15-ish used sometime next year. Problem is, you probably want something to play on your new console right now.

I think buying it used and selling it again is a good idea.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bigjeffrey

well if you really want it cheap stalk ebay for a used copy or a cheap code. Hell I got Dead Rising 3 and Forza 5 codes for $40 a piece last week

maverick1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

just buy a used copy?

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By ArtisanBreads

If you just wait a little while I'm sure the price will drop pretty quickly. Does with all games these days.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By Sergio

Just wait a couple of months, Ryse is destined to be a bargain bin game.

dionysis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

P.S. Whenever I think of Ryse I am reminded of Gladius, one of my favorite RPGs of all time. I guess with Lucasarts gone we'll never see a sequel. Another reason to hate Ryse! Damn it Ryse, why aren't you a Gladius sequel?

Wow! Gladius brings back memories... that game was way more fun than it had any right to be. I'm a sucker for turn based strategy and it did a pretty good job of it... not Fire Emblem, but definitely worth playing.

I've had more fun with the Ryse rental I have from GameFly than I expected... I keep thinking about just hitting the "keep it" button and selling it in a few months when the fun has worn off... or I may just return it and hope for a Steam style sale next year. Anything in the $30-$40ish range seems pretty fair for it right now... probably $20ish next Christmas.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.