Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ryse: Son of Rome

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 22, 2013

Set in ancient Rome circa 68 A.D, this third-person action game follows Marius Titus as he sets out to avenge his fallen family. Developed by Crytek as an exclusive Xbox One launch game.

Wait a sec, what exactly is wrong with this game?

xshinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

I'm on the last chapter of the SP portion of the game and I gotta say I don't understand the hate that this game has been receiving. I really like the gameplay and setting. The story is a bit simple but it is well told. I played a round in the CO-OP MP and I enjoyed my time with that as well. I know it all comes down to taste but the way people have been talking about this game you would think it was the worst thing ever made.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By csl316

People have been down on character action games since Bayonetta kicked so much ass. Unfairly so, I think.

BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Look guys! A dude with a differnet opinion about something than other people! i dont think ive ever seen this before.

In all seriousness, just like everything else that humanity deals with, its all up to personal preference. I'm glad you're enjoying the game, and I hope others who purchased it do as well.

reviews don't mean everything.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't played the game so I cannot give an accurate, detailed opinion, but it just looks boring from all the streams I've seen. I might play it eventually once I get a Xbox One, but besides the pretty visuals, nothing about this game looks very appealing to me.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Read their reviews and opinions for their answers. It seems to me this is a shallow launch game.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

From what I've played at a friends house, the entire time I played i just thought "Batman does this better..."

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By TheHT

because it's not special. it doesn't have any oomph. it's lacking any peculiar quirk. it's too generic. it's not revolutionary. etc. etc.

i dunno, it seems ok.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

People are far more critical of launch games than regular releases. If this game had come out in the summer or fall of 2014/5 then I doubt anyone would have noticed its passing. Since it's a launch title, though, it has invited far more criticism just by virtue of the fact that it's got a precious launch slot that could have or perhaps should have went to a better game.

ryanwhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get the catharthis of monotony, I play Dynasty Warriors games every now and then and its a good time in the right mindset. But I still understand why most people don't want to do the same exact thing over and over cus Im not living in a bubble. You can enjoy something someone else doesn't like and neither of you are wrong, crazy right. Cool you like killing the same 6 barbarians over 30 hours Im happy for you, doesnt mean other people are wrong not to enjoy that.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The same reason games like Golden Axe and Streets of Rage got played out in the '90's?

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@xshinobi said:

I'm on the last chapter of the SP portion of the game and I gotta say I don't understand the hate that this game has been receiving. I really like the gameplay and setting. The story is a bit simple but it is well told. I played a round in the CO-OP MP and I enjoyed my time with that as well. I know it all comes down to taste but the way people have been talking about this game you would think it was the worst thing ever made.

I don't see ANY reviews that have called it even close to "the worst thing ever made." Ryse isn't getting "hate", its just that most reviewers seem to feel its a merely competent game and nothing more. Games like that tend to get a more violent reaction from people who have spent their hard earned $60 on it because for that much money you'd prefer to be wowed rather than given an adequate game.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By JasonR86

@xshinobi:

Did you read the reviews or just look at scores? The issues people had are explicitly explained in writing.

MikeJFlick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's Rynse and Repeat.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The gameplay/combat is Batman: Arkham Asylum in a lot of ways, only without any exploring for collectibles, no flying, no multitude of villains, no semi-open world?

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Most reviewers are cynical, negative nancys. Did you read Brad's review? It's the only level-headed one around.

Gamers unfortunately are just as cynical and can also be easily herded. Durr da reviwers said it was bad so must be poo poo rys

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By EXTomar

Why is Brad's opinion more valid than another who was miffed they spent a lot of money and got bored with one of the few games they bought for it? Maybe some gamers are cynical and jaded because they spent several hundred dollars and didn't get that much out of it.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bigsocrates

The reviews haven't been THAT bad. It has a 60 on Metacritic as opposed to Knack's 55 and a fair number of the reviews are positive. I think things seem negative because the pre-release anti-hype was BRUTAL. Tons of podcasts and other places where people were like "RYSE looks pretty but is going to be AWFUL." Then it came out and it was just sort of viewed as mediocre. I'll pick it up on sale at some point and I think in the end it will go down as just another pretty but kinda shallow launch title, not some special car crash of terrible like it was shaping up to be.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By slyspider

It is a perfectly functional game that doesn't seem to be on fire or broken in any way.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xshinobi said:

It is a typical Crytek game. There is nothing really wrong with it. It is a medicore or decent lauchgame . Personally I do not like these Animations but otherwise it looks ok.

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

I had fun with it, so it did its job.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By ArtisanBreads

If you enjoy the combat you will like the game a lot. That's happened for me in the past before.

Some people just don't mind a lot of combat if it's fun. I like Dynasty Warriors so I understand. I never really get bored with the combat in the Batman and Assassins Creed games.

It does look incredible graphically though. I definitely want to play through it.

They really should just add more if they do another one. I think it would have more appeal if, like AC or Batman, you had other things to do besides fight dudes to break things up.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Snail

From what I've seen of it, it's too repetitive. You fight, fight, fight. Nothing else. No variety. It gets tedious.

You could watch the Quick Look? The guys were critical of it in valid ways. Brad seemed to like it more than Jeff (he is a sucker for good-looking games, after all), though apparently still not as much as you. Opinions!

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 10

It's a really simple game, but I agree. It's nothing like as bad as people think it is. Finished it last night.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By KaneRobot

It strikes me as a game that is a 3 out of 5, and that does not mean it is bad by any means. No one is going to lynch you for enjoying it like we'd be required to if you enjoyed...oh, I don't know... Kinect Steel Battalion.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By joshwent

Why did people not love this game?! If only there was some format of writing where they explicitly describe the qualities of a game and whether or not they are good!

Oh well, guess we'll never know.

Juzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By Juzie

Yep, as others said. It's basically Batman without the interesting characters, open world and predator mode + Batman itself is getting stale. Personally I think the game is scored too high.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It just seems like an okay game, and the E3 demo was terrible. That's basically why people are hating on it.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Clonedzero

I think it looks alright. Not great, but alright, I'd play it.

If you like it who cares what others think?

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

@xshinobi said:

I know it all comes down to taste but the way people have been talking about this game you would think it was the worst thing ever made.

I haven't heard anyone talk about Ryse the same way most people talk about games like Dead to Rights. From what I gather it's a run of the mill action game with some pretty visuals and scores around the 3/5 mark seem fair.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

It looks ok. I don't really have any urge to play it, but I don't think it would be much of a terrible time either.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xshinobi said:

I know it all comes down to taste but the way people have been talking about this game you would think it was the worst thing ever made.

I haven't heard anyone talk about Ryse the same way most people talk about games like Dead to Rights.

Dead to Rights? The PS2 series that had one mediocre entry this gen that jeff gave 3 stars to? Who says that is the worst thing ever made? I actually beat that Dead to Rights game and it was definitely not the worst game I've ever played by a long shot.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32  Edited By Justin258

It looked repetitive and uninteresting in the Quick Look. Not "bad", just "bland".

Syed117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Syed117

I finished it last night and I can understand where you are coming from.

It has some great ideas like the way perks are handled, but the combat does get repetitive. I think as a first game, it's not that bad. The combat system needs to be fleshed out more. A real combo system would make it a much better game. Eventfully you just get tired of doing the same exact thing against the same exact enemies. By the end of the game I had dozens of executions but I felt like I was seeing the same ones over and over because I only used the health and XP perks. They also needed a few more characters models. I must have killed the fat guy with the shield 500 times.

It's not a great game by any means, nor is it terrible. Brad used the perfect word, competent. Everything works the way it is supposed to and works well enough. It just needed more.

I think the average person who isn't consumed by metacritic and Internet forums could have a good time with it.

It does however look incredible. Might be the best looking launch game on either platform.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'd be down to play it. it impressed me the most out of all the launch games - the rich atmosphere is immediately apparent.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

It's an Xbox Exclusive

Iron_Tool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From what I've played I just thought "Batman does this better..."

Everything Batman does is just better... (sorry big Batman fan here)

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Haven't played it, don't plan on playing it. I will probably forget this game existed after a short time. Kind of like Kameo...shit, oh wait. Didn't play that one either. You know what I mean.

Mars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am a big fan of this game. For those that are saying "Batman was better" ... This isn't batman, though they were great games. I had more consistent fun playing this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.