Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Yakuza 0

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Mar 12, 2015

A prequel to the original Yakuza set in 1988, featuring a young Kazuma Kiryu and Goro Majima as dual playable protagonists.

Yakuza Zero 0 Coming 2015, set in 1998

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

"Yakuza Zero 0" is the 11th entry (Including spin offs) to come out. It will take fans back to the year 1988. Taking place years before the first Yakuza game,It will focus on it's two protagonists: Kazuma Kiryu and Goro Majima. If you have played the Yakuza games the past is always referenced to by the cast. This really sounds exciting and if you are a big Yakuza fan this is the time period that you always wanted to learn more about!

No Caption Provided

The game looks to also star fan favorite Goro Majima into the fold, maybe a playable character? I hope so! Here is also the full length trailer that was shown at TGS. Let's cross out fingers for a western release, even with the possibility as slim as it is, regardless this looks worth the import!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Yeah, this ain't coming out over here.... If they're not even willing to bring over Yakuza 5, then I imagine a prequel is practically impossible. Which is a shame because 90s Yakuza and playable Majima HNNNNNNGGG.

ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

Yeah, this ain't coming out over here.... If they're not even willing to bring over Yakuza 5, then I imagine a prequel is practically impossible. Which is a shame because 90s Yakuza and playable Majima HNNNNNNGGG.

I know right!!! It's a darn shame! Hopefully one day Sega comes around....

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Sega might be tempted to localize this entry because it's a prequel, but then again...

We're probably gonna be left in the dark. Again.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is the game actually called Yakuza Zero Zero?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#8 chaser324  Moderator

@counterclockwork87: In theory, it would probably be called Yakuza Zero if it ever got a western release (which it won't). For now, it's just Ryū ga Gotoku Zero.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yakuza: Zero Chance of Being Localized!

HA Ha ha haaaaaa.

I can't take this anymore guys... The lack of new Yakuza games in my life is slowly killing me.. And by killing me, I mean actually killing me, not just a rubber bullet.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

OH man why do you do this to us Sega. Probably another one that won't come over here. >_<

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

As someone who is slightly interested in playing this series, do the Yakuza games have some kind of continuity that requires one to play through them in order? I've only played the first one, and all I remember was that Michael Madsen was in it. I know that the second one is sorta hard to find nowadays, and the third and fourth had limited releases.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@viciousbearmauling: I like how Yakuza forums have slowly just become a place for yakuza fans to cry. I feel your pain man.

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By winsord

@thunderslash said:

As someone who is slightly interested in playing this series, do the Yakuza games have some kind of continuity that requires one to play through them in order? I've only played the first one, and all I remember was that Michael Madsen was in it. I know that the second one is sorta hard to find nowadays, and the third and fourth had limited releases.

There is continuity with returning characters and the like, but you can jump into the fourth game and still pick things up fairly quickly. From the main menu you can actually watch re-caps of each game, which outline all of the major plot and characters from each title, so you can get yourself up to speed. The fourth game was my first one, so I watched those re-caps and jumped in, and I felt like I had a pretty good grasp of things quite quickly. If you don't want to play the second game, I'd say jump in with Yakuza 3 and just watch the re-caps for the first two.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@thunderslash said:

Yakuza 4 has a recap mode that is over an hour long, if I recall correctly.

But yeah, the games are connected and expect you to know what's happened. So you can imagine the pain of a fan being invested in 4 games, and not being able to see the whole series through because localization has come to a halt.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is the ps4 region free?

I figured I'd import P5 if it has English subs with JP voice acting, and I'd probably prefer it that way.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dukest3 said:

Is the ps4 region free?

I figured I'd import P5 if it has English subs with JP voice acting, and I'd probably prefer it that way.

I believe the PS4 is indeed region free. If you're like Jeff I think you can just download it from the japanese store if you know how to do it.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viciousbearmauling: @winsord: Oh cool, I wasn't aware of there being a recap mode. That should make it easier for me when I decide to skip 2 and not replay the first one.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asilentprotagonist: Just wanted to let you know you made a typo in the thread title. 1998 instead of 1988

I was always super intrigued about this series, but never actually played one (other than a demo of fooouuur?) Having it set in the late eighties seems super cool. I could be completely wrong, but it seems like that would be Japan at its peak, atleast in modern times. I mean I wasn't born then, but it seems like Tokyo was future-city at that point.

Anyway!!! Who cares! This ain't going to come out in the west, so whatever!

ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asilentprotagonist: Just wanted to let you know you made a typo in the thread title. 1998 instead of 1988

I was always super intrigued about this series, but never actually played one (other than a demo of fooouuur?) Having it set in the late eighties seems super cool. I could be completely wrong, but it seems like that would be Japan at its peak, atleast in modern times. I mean I wasn't born then, but it seems like Tokyo was future-city at that point.

Anyway!!! Who cares! This ain't going to come out in the west, so whatever!

Ops! Thanks man, silly me =P. If you are into or at least the bit interested in Japanese culture I would play the Yakazu series especially 3. It's the most faithfully recreated japan I have seen in game, It took me back to walking through the streets of Tokyo - Shibuya,Shinjuku etc. I highly recommend you give it a try regardless!

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Corevi
    @dukest3 said:

Is the ps4 region free?

The JP versions of games very rarely have english subs and never english menus.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.