Silent Storm on GOG.com. Yay!

#1 Edited by Grimhild (719 posts) -

D/ling it right now. So happy about this since my disk version refuses to work on my newer PC with Windows 7 64. The only way to get it to work before was jumping through various 3rd party patch hoops or hex-editing.

If you never played it, and have an interest in turn-based tactical strategy, you should definitely check it out.

Gonna get my TBS/RPG skills back up to snuff for Xcom. Wewt.

EDIT:

Also, endorsed by Dave, if that means anything for you.

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/snide/my-return-to-rts-games/30-22490/

#2 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11001 posts) -

It's been there for a couple of weeks, and what I've played of it seems quite promising. If nothing else, a step up from trash like the UFO series.

#3 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3595 posts) -

It's a damn good game but it hits a snag late with a big change in unit types. Otherwise, it's very fun. As far as the battle system goes, turn based tactical has never been done better. It's unfortunate the meta game isn't as compelling as Jagged Alliance or X-Com. Also, personality wise it is severely lacking, though the translation and corniness are pretty funny.

If you are a fan of the genre, you can't go wrong. One of the best ever made.

#4 Posted by briareosph (14 posts) -

Finished this before when it was new back then. Enjoyed this game very much. Glad some people are noticing it.

#5 Posted by Grimhild (719 posts) -

@ArbitraryWater:

Oh, whoops hehehe I got tired of constantly looking through the same stuff they usually have so I stopped checking. Just looked again after browsing the Steam sales and there it was. Glee!

@ArtisanBreads said:

It's a damn good game but it hits a snag late with a big change in unit types. Otherwise, it's very fun. As far as the battle system goes, turn based tactical has never been done better. It's unfortunate the meta game isn't as compelling as Jagged Alliance or X-Com. Also, personality wise it is severely lacking, though the translation and corniness are pretty funny.

If you are a fan of the genre, you can't go wrong. One of the best ever made.

Yeah, that was a very baffling moment the first play through lol But everything up to that point is delicious, which is fine since it's pretty late in the game.

#6 Posted by demonbear (1860 posts) -

When it came out, it was awarded Gamespot's Best Game No One Played which describes this game perfectly. Very few people know how kickass this game really is. Its fantastic and still very fun to play to this day. It aged very well.

Get it!

#7 Posted by Stahlbrand (835 posts) -

This game is sick as hell, if you liked the new XCOM you'll love it. There are mods that remove the PZ stuff from the endgame.

I wish XCOM cribbed a few details like the ability to free-aim at the deformable terrain, but you know, whatever.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.