How is Sackboy not the face of the Sony Move already?

#1 Posted by Jimbo (9936 posts) -

Sony own Media Molecule now, right? And therefore Sackboy.  Why aren't they using him more?  

Sony need a mascot,  particularly a family friendly one - a Mario equivalent.  Sackboy seems perfect to me.  His inherent customizability also makes him a great Mii equivalent.  When Move inevitably gets bundled with their happy-family-funtime Wii Sports equivalent, Sackboy should be all over that.  When we see videos of Move and they're showing some stupid doll looking thing having his hair cut, that should be Sackboy having his hair cut etc.  LBP2 and Move Sports (or whatever) should be the flagship games of the Move, and both should have Sackboy plastered all over them  - all of that size and shape manipulation stuff we have seen them doing with the Move, again, it seems like a perfect fit for LBP2.

If Sony can't ship the Move with Sackboy fronting it then they don't deserve to succeed.  And if they can't put two and two together and figure out that Sackboy should be fronting it then they're really in trouble.

What do you think?  Do you think they will end up linking Move with Sackboy and LBP?  Or is the Sony Move perhaps aimed at an older audience?

The Best Mascot Sony Will Ever Have.
#2 Posted by Demyx (3237 posts) -

Do not want. At least mario games were good.

#3 Posted by Organicalistic_ (2954 posts) -

what is 360 family friendly equivalent of mario?

#4 Edited by luce (4045 posts) -

Inb4Playstation 3 is balls

#5 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

You're right, dude. I don't even own a PS3 and I LOVE that little guy. Is that your Sackboy in the picture? I'm so jealous, dude.

#6 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19377 posts) -
@organicalistic_ said:
" what is 360 family friendly equivalent of mario? "
Banjo and Kazooie.
#7 Posted by mosdl (3243 posts) -

They were going to call it the SackMove originally... :)

Sackboy mini games compilation for the Move for free would rock

#8 Posted by Snail (8648 posts) -

Sony of Japan already has a mascot btw. It's Toro. But I don't see why Sony needs a mascot, Microsoft does pretty well without one.

#9 Edited by chrissedoff (2159 posts) -

the move exists purely as a response to natal. i don't anticipate that sony will put a huge amount of marketing behind it (if they're smart). it's there so they can say to their shareholders "yeah we have a funky motion controller too" just like home wound up being nothing more than a bullet point they used to fool investors and get write-ups in mainstream news sources.
therefore i don't think it needs a mascot, and you definitely don't want a beloved game like littlebigplanet to be tainted by the lameness of the move in the eyes of consumers.

#10 Posted by teh_pwnzorer (1482 posts) -
@Snail said:
"  Microsoft does pretty well without one."
Microsoft does have a mascot.   His name is Steve Ballmer.

#11 Posted by Jimbo (9936 posts) -
@organicalistic_ said:
" what is 360 family friendly equivalent of mario? "
Good question.  I suppose the answer is that neither Microsoft or Sony have really needed one until now, because they haven't been going after that market.  Move and Natal are looking increasingly like statements of intent that this is going to change, and that they both want a slice of Nintendo's market.  Microsoft undoubtedly have a stronger general-purpose mascot than Sony, in the shape of Master Chief, but I can't think of a particularly 'family friendly' option for Microsoft off the top of my head.
#12 Posted by zombie2011 (5036 posts) -

they don't need a mascot, besides Sackboy is kinda dumb. That picture you posted looks like some retarded Tim Burton character.

#13 Posted by Godwind (2597 posts) -

Crash Bandicoot?
Spiro The Dragon?
Jak and Daxter?
Sly Cooper?
Ratchet and Clank? 
God of War?

Sony has nothing on Nintendo when it comes to icons, always swapping out for the latest game around.  Even Microsoft has only been able to match something in the name of Master Chief.  The best other that Microsoft has is Marcus Fenix, but that will only matter as long as Epic Games continue making Gears of War Games.

#14 Posted by MikkaQ (10335 posts) -

Sackboy's cool, he'd be a good mascot if this were the early 90s and mascots mattered.  

I think LBP should have replaced playstation home. Throw in a social lobby and BOOM. Instantly more fun. Social interaction with creative levels.

#15 Posted by Jimbo (9936 posts) -
@XII_Sniper said:
" Sackboy's cool, he'd be a good mascot if this were the early 90s and mascots mattered."
I think they still matter in that market.  Nintendo can put Mario on anything and it sells.  Granted, they're good games for the most part, but it's still Mario that shifts most of the copies.
#16 Posted by MikkaQ (10335 posts) -
@Jimbo said:
" @XII_Sniper said:
" Sackboy's cool, he'd be a good mascot if this were the early 90s and mascots mattered."
I think they still matter in that market.  Nintendo can put Mario on anything and it sells.  Granted, they're good games for the most part, but it's still Mario that shifts most of the copies. "
That's true, but I feel like short of Mario, no one has a REAL mascot for their brand, or company. Sure they have mascots for individual franchises, but when I think... Ubisoft for example, I think a purple swirly, not Ezio or Sam Fisher. 
#17 Edited by cap123 (2477 posts) -

Mario is pretty much what videogames are to the average person so he's an exception, i don't think any mascot started today would work at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.