Sackboy Better Than Another Scarf

Posted by Ryan (1263 posts) -
Sackboy is the heart and soul of LittleBigPlanet, an adorable little avatar that informs the rest of the game's unmistakably tactile, arts-and-crafts-inspired aesthetic. Considering how much of the game looks like it was assembled with construction paper, toilet-paper tubes, and whatever's in the junk drawer in your kitchen, it's not too surprising that the latest issue of Simply Knitting Magazine features instructions on how you can assemble your own custom Sackboy. According to CVG, the Sackboy pattern was created by Alan Dart, a man who Simply Knitting inaccurately and hilariously refers to as “The Grand Theft Auto of knitting.” Seriously, what the hell does that even mean?

I'm usually baffled by DIY video-game handicrafts like knitted caps and tasty cakes, but this is one that makes sense beyond the basic novelty. Hopefully Sony won't hit Simply Knitting with a cease-and-desist over the copyright infringement.
Staff
#1 Posted by Ryan (1263 posts) -
Sackboy is the heart and soul of LittleBigPlanet, an adorable little avatar that informs the rest of the game's unmistakably tactile, arts-and-crafts-inspired aesthetic. Considering how much of the game looks like it was assembled with construction paper, toilet-paper tubes, and whatever's in the junk drawer in your kitchen, it's not too surprising that the latest issue of Simply Knitting Magazine features instructions on how you can assemble your own custom Sackboy. According to CVG, the Sackboy pattern was created by Alan Dart, a man who Simply Knitting inaccurately and hilariously refers to as “The Grand Theft Auto of knitting.” Seriously, what the hell does that even mean?

I'm usually baffled by DIY video-game handicrafts like knitted caps and tasty cakes, but this is one that makes sense beyond the basic novelty. Hopefully Sony won't hit Simply Knitting with a cease-and-desist over the copyright infringement.
Staff
#2 Posted by LiquidPrince (15606 posts) -

Cool!

#3 Posted by Media_Master (3283 posts) -

who has time to knit?

#4 Posted by aylien (111 posts) -

man, that pic poses way too many questions...
are sack-things asexual? coz I think it's reproducing...

#5 Posted by StrangerDanger (5 posts) -

Sackboy is too kyoot. ^ ^

#6 Posted by Player1 (3839 posts) -

The grant theft auto of knitting.

The only explanation I can think of is that they looked up a highly rated game, found out it was popular/good and compared it to a good knitter. They both like video gamez? So it works?

My guess is at good...or bad for that matter and yours.

#7 Posted by erinfizz (1048 posts) -

I wish this was being printed in a US magazine, Simply Knitting is a UK mag, but I think I have seen it at Borders before...and it's going to cost me an arm and a damn leg. However, I knit quite a bit and will be all over this as soon as I am done with presents!  :)

#8 Posted by TwoOneFive (9461 posts) -

aylien, hahahah so true, its knitting a baby. 

#9 Posted by Fr0Br0 (3084 posts) -

God dammit for the last time it's Sackperson. SACKPERSON!

At least that's what the English fellow tells me...

#10 Posted by daniel_beck_90 (3159 posts) -

now that is a wonderful news

#11 Posted by gia (39 posts) -

I need a copy-- the from-scratch version I'm working on is going pretty so-so. :/

#12 Posted by DECA555 (400 posts) -

knitting + gaming = apocalypse 

#13 Posted by DiGiTaL_SiN (1789 posts) -
#14 Posted by lamegame621 (975 posts) -

"The Grand Theft Auto of Knitting?" That sounds "...almost too plausible."   

#15 Posted by Gio5py (9 posts) -

Too awesome!

#16 Posted by AspiringAndy (332 posts) -

“The Grand Theft Auto of knitting." WTF
Simply Knitting is one fucked up company.

#17 Posted by dtran1212 (299 posts) -
#18 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

I have a friend who does papercraft/clothcraft, I will get him to make me one of these!

#19 Posted by Six (611 posts) -

Granny Craft Auto.  

Knitting, Driving missions that are limited to 15 mph, baking, and babysitting...  who says games are only for kids now.

#20 Posted by ocdog45 (675 posts) -

GTA of knitting. you mean he goes around killing people who don't pay him for his work or something.

#21 Posted by DukeTogo (1505 posts) -

The only problem is there are official toys.  Just go to Play Asia or NCS.  Sony can't go after them since it's just a pattern, not a finished product.

#22 Posted by Pkshields (810 posts) -

My mum knits. Wonder could I convince her to do this...

#23 Posted by dsplayer1010 (2227 posts) -

I might learn how to play just for this

#24 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

Me wants one, and knitting in video games is the apocalypse. 

#25 Posted by thenexus (324 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.