Blind Guardian In-Game Concert Surprise!!!

#1 Edited by jakob187 (21640 posts) -

Given that I'm still fairly new to Sacred 2, I was not aware of ALL the awesomeness contained in this game. 

At 5:00am last night, while playing through to finish out my side quests achievements (which I'm still about 40 quests shy of completing), one of the side quests involved me APPARENTLY picking up instruments for some people.  Now, given that I've been just blasting through the game and generally having fun, this isn't my "pay close attention to the story" run.  As it turns out, the quest line is called "Blind Guardian", and you are retrieving instruments for the actual members of Blind Guardian.  After completing the quest, you are treated to ONE OF THE MOST EPIC FUCKING EVENTS TO EVER HAPPEN!  It was a shellshock...as I was extremely tired...but it filled in the blanks on who keeps singing the little bard songs in the game from time to time: 

So...not only is this a seriously excellent song...but you get all of the instruments as weapons after the concert is over.  Yes, that's right....you get that wicked axe guitar as a weapon!!! 

Now, why can't MORE games do awesome shit like this?
#2 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3500 posts) -

Yes, yes, and more yes.

I haven't played Sacred 2 yet, but it is on my backlog of games to buy.  I have such a long list for that though that it is tragic.  Maybe I'll take less credit hours next semester so I have time after work to play :P

#3 Edited by jakob187 (21640 posts) -
@Origina1Penguin said:

" Yes, yes, and more yes.  I haven't played Sacred 2 yet, but it is on my backlog of games to buy.  I have such a long list for that though that it is tragic.  Maybe I'll take less credit hours next semester so I have time after work to play :P "

The 360 port of it has got a handful of problems, like load times in cities that are annoying as sin and a few bugs, but it's almost easy to overlook all that with the fact that it's got incredibly gorgeous graphics (I'm not kidding, it's fucking pretty!) and great controls for a PC hack 'n' slash on the consoles.  To top that off, there's a ton of depth with the combat arts and the side quests (something like 500-600 side quests...Oblivion, eat your fucking heart out!).  The thing I like the most is that I'm 29 gameplay hours into the game on my Bronze playthrough (the lowest of four difficulties)...and I'm at level 36 with only 34% of the map explored!!! 

However, THAT SINGLE VIDEO made the $60 price tag totally fucking worth it!
#4 Posted by pweidman (2282 posts) -

Yeah I agree Jakob that concert was an unexpected treat.  I repeated that quest with several characters just for the cool concert even though the weapons end up being being $ after you get other stuff later. And the game is just addicting as well.  I really enjoyed the game, and it has so much replayability with all the characters you can choose from.  It's a pretty rare treat for console guys like me....not much quite like it available on the 360. Enjoy!!
#5 Posted by ajamafalous (11802 posts) -

Why does this exist?

#6 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

I bought this game already but I havent turned it on yet. Hmm why?

#7 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

Blind Guardian making music for Sacred 2 was pretty high up on my list of why I bought the game in the first place.  I love their LOTR album, amazing stuff.

#8 Posted by jakob187 (21640 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:
" Why does this exist? "
Pure unadulterated epic awesomeness! 

@c1337us said:
" I bought this game already but I havent turned it on yet. Hmm why? "
Why indeed?  I didn't get into the franchise when the first game was around, mainly because the only time I ever saw it was the bargain PC game rack at Wal-Mart...and I figured that meant it sucked since it was next to games like, ya know, Cabela's.  However, it's definitely quality material.
#9 Posted by ajamafalous (11802 posts) -
@jakob187 said:
" @ajamafalous said:
" Why does this exist? "
No, I mean really, why does this exist?

Surely, Blind Guardian gained nothing out of this.
#10 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:
Surely, Blind Guardian gained nothing out of this.
Except money, the universal motivator.

Not like they did it gratis.
#11 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

You get some epic loot from this, but the whole quest line is ridiculous.

#12 Posted by jakob187 (21640 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:
" @jakob187 said:
" @ajamafalous said:
" Why does this exist? "
No, I mean really, why does this exist?   Surely, Blind Guardian gained nothing out of this. "
Ascaron was a German-based company.  Blind Guardian is a German band who writes music based on fantasy elements.  The two pretty much seem like a perfect fit. 

What makes it even better is that you hear bits and pieces of the song in different forms during your gameplay.  For instance, the part where he starts singing "I'm wishing, I'm fading" is sung acapella randomly as you wander across the world.  It's really awesome and fits perfectly into the world of Sacred 2.
#13 Posted by PureRok (4235 posts) -

I love Blind Guardian, and I wasn't interested in Sacred 2, mainly because I thought it was a completely different game for some reason.

Now I have to get it.

#14 Edited by Vision (796 posts) -

I need to get back into Sacred 2 (i'm playing it on the PC) i'm only lvl 79 out of 200 on my main so i've got some work to do. (I've got most of the achievements).

And i fully agree the Blind Guardian video is awesome.. It was a great moment in S2.

Thanks Jakob. ^^

#15 Posted by jakob187 (21640 posts) -
@PureRok said:
" I love Blind Guardian, and I wasn't interested in Sacred 2, mainly because I thought it was a completely different game for some reason.  Now I have to get it. "
If you dig stuff like Champions of Norrath, Neverwinter Nights, or Titan Quest, you'll ABSOLUTELY dig Sacred 2.  It sucks that Ascaron went under, but it sucks even more that it has had such little distribution in America.
#16 Edited by Bucketdeth (8003 posts) -

I have a few Blind Guardian albums, I recently bought Somewhere Far Beyond and love it, there a great band, and btw what console are you playing Sacred on, I own it for PS3.

#17 Edited by jakob187 (21640 posts) -
@Bucketdeth said:

" I have a few Blind Guardian albums, I recently bought Somewhere Far Beyond and love it, there a great band, and btw what console are you playing Sacred on, I own it for PS3. "

360.  I need people to play with. 

I feel like such a baller now, because I blew 1 million gold on socketing Blind Guardian today.  It's not a poisonous guitar of DOOM!!!
#18 Posted by Jeffsekai (7025 posts) -

Just started playing this game again, first thing i did was go watch this concert again so epic.

#19 Posted by sixghost (1679 posts) -

I would have turned the xbox off 45 seconds into that.

#20 Posted by xyzygy (9867 posts) -
@sixghost said:
" I would have turned the xbox off 45 seconds into that. "
It was pretty bad. The song was ok but the whole premise was just weird... the audience was all sorts of different enemy types, just random enemy types that you come across in the game and the faces on the band was like terrible. It was kind of funny actually

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.