A nice touch (spoilers)

#1 Posted by wemibelec90 (1838 posts) -

Anyone else marvel at how they managed to use your particular character model for the side-scroller part with Johnny? I remembered noticing that it was my exact outfit and hair color, so it had to somehow pull the current model and insert it into that part. Pretty neat trick.

#2 Posted by Yummylee (22575 posts) -
#3 Edited by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

the fact that it had the clothes you had blew me away

#4 Posted by Demoskinos (15164 posts) -

As pointed out in other threads it most likely not actual sprites but some crazy post processing however still damn impressive either way.

#5 Edited by DeadeyeMcCoy (259 posts) -

Definitely, that was so great. Probably my favorite rescue mission.

#7 Edited by Noblenerf (332 posts) -

Definitely. That segment was one of the most amazing parts of Saints Row IV.

It was my exact character. It blew my mind.

#8 Posted by Iodine (550 posts) -

This entire game was a nice touch

#9 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

It was funny because I had my character in the tiniest bikini that covers the least amount of skin in the game when I went into that mission, so it looked like she was naked due to how they pixelated it. I found it extra funny because of it.

#10 Edited by HatKing (6114 posts) -

If you study it a bit more closely, and put together how they might have done it, it's not as mind blowingly insane as "holy shit they created every combination of character as a 2D sprite!?" It's just a side image of the 3D character with a real well done 2D filter over it. Not to take away from it though, because it's probably the nicest faux-2D I've seen in a game. Usually they just throw a shitty mosaic effect over something and call it retro mode. The effect was especially great for me because my character was dressed to fit right in with the cast of Streets of Rage. Seriously, it's like he invaded Galsia's wardrobe.

#11 Posted by DeeGee (2143 posts) -

Yeah, it's not particularly impressive when you realise that they literally just took your characters 3D model and applied a filter to it. It's not a sprite, just a fixed camera and new animations.

#12 Posted by Demoskinos (15164 posts) -

I really wanna go back and just play this level with a character naked wearing the horse mask or something.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.