Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Saints Row IV

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Aug 20, 2013

When invading aliens capture the Saints and imprison their minds in a digital recreation of Steelport, it's up to the Boss (who by now has become the President of the United States) to free Earth from its oppressive new overlords.

A nice touch (spoilers)

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

Anyone else marvel at how they managed to use your particular character model for the side-scroller part with Johnny? I remembered noticing that it was my exact outfit and hair color, so it had to somehow pull the current model and insert it into that part. Pretty neat trick.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Rhaknar

the fact that it had the clothes you had blew me away

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

As pointed out in other threads it most likely not actual sprites but some crazy post processing however still damn impressive either way.

DeadeyeMcCoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By DeadeyeMcCoy

Definitely, that was so great. Probably my favorite rescue mission.

noblenerf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By noblenerf

Definitely. That segment was one of the most amazing parts of Saints Row IV.

It was my exact character. It blew my mind.

Iodine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This entire game was a nice touch

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

It was funny because I had my character in the tiniest bikini that covers the least amount of skin in the game when I went into that mission, so it looked like she was naked due to how they pixelated it. I found it extra funny because of it.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By hatking

If you study it a bit more closely, and put together how they might have done it, it's not as mind blowingly insane as "holy shit they created every combination of character as a 2D sprite!?" It's just a side image of the 3D character with a real well done 2D filter over it. Not to take away from it though, because it's probably the nicest faux-2D I've seen in a game. Usually they just throw a shitty mosaic effect over something and call it retro mode. The effect was especially great for me because my character was dressed to fit right in with the cast of Streets of Rage. Seriously, it's like he invaded Galsia's wardrobe.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yeah, it's not particularly impressive when you realise that they literally just took your characters 3D model and applied a filter to it. It's not a sprite, just a fixed camera and new animations.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I really wanna go back and just play this level with a character naked wearing the horse mask or something.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.