Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Saints Row IV

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Aug 20, 2013

When invading aliens capture the Saints and imprison their minds in a digital recreation of Steelport, it's up to the Boss (who by now has become the President of the United States) to free Earth from its oppressive new overlords.

Does this game sometimes feel like a chore to you?

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

It's something I dealt with in the last game. There are so many side missions that I want to do for the reward, for completion, for whatever reason, but getting through them feels like a chore. Everytime I finish a side quest path I'm like "glad that one is done with," then do a few more story missions then decide to knock out some more side stuff as quickly as possible like it's my job. Even traveling the world feels like a chore - I have to pick up every blue orb thing on my way to my objective.

And I know I could just not do the side stuff, but I WANT to, for whatever reason. I guess I get just enough feedback out of it that it makes it feel worthwhile.

Does anyone else feel this way? I don't really 100% many open world games, but I did with SR3, even though I didn't particularly like it. Maybe the side quests are just do-able enough that I feel like I need to complete them.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Nah, I liked having excuses to keep playing the game. Eventually finished everything them was sad there was nothing left.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#3  Edited By donutfever

@demoskinos said:

Nah, I liked having excuses to keep playing the game. Eventually finished everything them was sad there was nothing left.

This. I was so glad when that DLC came out, even though it wasn't that good. Feels so good to fly and run around in that game.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You're a chore.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The side stuff does sort of seem way worse this time around. I mean, all the new mini-games are outright terrible. The platforming one is probably the best of the new stuff, but these sorts of action games have never been particularly well-suited for that type of precision. The target thing is clunky, and uninspired. The race thing, that seems flawed from the ground up. I'm not even really sure what they were going for there. The pre-existing side activities are so outlandishly easy once you get most of the super powers that they might as well not exist. I don't know, I enjoyed the game a lot. I thought they did some really great stuff with the characters and story telling. But it wasn't as fun to play. Which is weird because you'd think all those super powers would make it way more fun.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By morningstar

Sure. However, I'm not a big fan of the Saints Row games, so my opinion doesn't really matter much on the subject.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah man, and that's from playing only two hours of main story. The rocket and spaceship sections were great, and so is jumping around the city collecting orbs, but every mission is just kill 50 cops, hack these terminals, eliminate this horde of aliens, kill this tedious miniboss, collect these 4 things etc. So tedious, and the humor is hilariously mistimed, but I'm sure there's enough good stuff left to keep going.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It totally does. Every side quest is, "Go do this series of minigames".

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rick_Fingers

Nope, I loved every second. The powers were so fun to use that most of the side stuff was trivial anyway and more about fun messing around with yhe mechanics

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#10  Edited By Yummylee

Nah, I was pretty engaged from beginning to end. I'd probably still be playing it here and there if I wasn't restricted to the bipolar framerate of the console versions...

Some of the side stuff was definitely pretty weak, though - specifically the Super Hero Fight Club. But that's no different than every prior Saints Row game, where there's the few duds amidst the gold mine of stuff to get lost in.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

No. Why do you want to do something you don't enjoy? They made that stuff as optional as possible. I really enjoyed it and there are the challenge things I decided not to spend to much time bothering with.

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By BoFooQ

I thought that way about third but haven't had a problem with 4. The only problem I have is getting side tracked by orbs which I never had a shortage of. The side missions are fast so I didn't mind also its real easy and fast to get across map, unlike GTA. I could probably do 10 side mission in SR4 in the same time as one for GTA5.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By ArtisanBreads

The side missions totally. I was very surprised to hear a lot of people talk about them being better in this game than the last ones (didn't the Giantbomb guys do this?). There was no challenge or method or learning curve to them, they were cookie cutter, and some were just outright bad. The insurance fraud was pretty much the only fun one in the past games to me and this time they just made it totally meaningless as I literally cartwheel down freeways at 80 mph smashing into cars. Not fun.

And then the put all the unlocks behind them in pointless bundles to get upgrades from your Saints... it just all felt very lazy to me. I enjoyed the game but it felt rushed and slapdash in a lot of ways.

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By bkbroiler

@korwin said:

You're a chore.

Hey!

I think it might be a problem I have with open world games in general, but the missions are so uninteresting. Like

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.