I really wanted to like this game, but...

#1 Edited by SgtReznor (209 posts) -

... I just think it's awful. I don't want this to turn into a hate-filled game, but I've not been enjoying myself at all playing this. I've loved all the previous Saints Row games. Granted I'm only a couple of hours into it, but it just feels more like a Saints Row 3 DLC pack than a brand new game. There's a lot here that's just too similar to the previous one for me - same side-missions, the character creation looks like it's not been changed at all - even the damn main-menu music is the same! Is there something about this game I'm just not "getting"? Or is there a part where it just kicks it into high gear? I feel terrible saying it, but I'm really not liking this game at all.

#2 Posted by ShaggE (5980 posts) -

It's not going to be for everybody, of course, but there are all kinds of new and different side missions as it opens up, and the game doesn't feel quite so similar after you've started amassing powers and the missions get crazier.

As for the main menu music, it's not the same. It's a remix of the SR3 theme (probably not helping my case by saying that, but it *is* different).

#3 Posted by Poppy_Persona (149 posts) -

@sgtreznor: wasn't the game begun as dlc which was then expanded into a new game? That's probably why it feels so similar. I've just finished the game and i agree with you. I didn't hate it but it was veeeeeeeeery similar to sr3 and it really shows. The city scape especially was just like sr3 very boring, but the game was a kind of dumb fun i guess.

#4 Edited by BaconAndWaffles (57 posts) -

The game is very much an old school expansion pack game, before DLC shrunk everything.

I think this game boils down to: do you want to play Saints Row 3 with super powers? The powers add an interesting twist to the series, but the underlying game has not changed.

I enjoyed it a lot - there is no other video game series that takes itself less serious and enjoys throwing stuff at the walls to see what sticks.

#5 Posted by SeanFoster (835 posts) -

I got about 10 hours in, I thought it was pretty fun but switched to Grand Theft Auto V when that came out and I'm not sure I'll go back whenever the heck I actually finished GTAV.

#6 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

6/10 from me. Would have been better as a 30 dollar expansion pack for SR3. It still has it's moments.

#7 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3595 posts) -

I totally agree gameplay wise. It was quite boring to me. The city is repeated from 3 and in 3 it was very forgettable anyways, there is no challenge, the powers feel tacked on rather than integrated into the gameplay in the way a game like Prototype or Infamous would handle them.

I liked the story a lot though. It was good in the same way 3 was, but the gameplay was a big let down.

#8 Edited by TheMor (13 posts) -

The city itself was completely forgettable and I could care less about it. But there was something very fun about being a super powered gangsta president.

#9 Posted by narujoe93 (2426 posts) -

@baconandwaffles: old school expansions never cost full price. Definitely not 60 bucks. And they never passed themselves off as a sequel

#10 Posted by Rorie (2088 posts) -

It's fun for the most part but the way the side missions are constructed is definitely lame. I don't mind the tasks as they are, but having every interaction with your crew be a series of minigames is kinda lame. Should've put more effort into that.

Staff
#11 Posted by TheHT (10262 posts) -

@sgtreznor: wasn't the game begun as dlc which was then expanded into a new game? That's probably why it feels so similar. I've just finished the game and i agree with you. I didn't hate it but it was veeeeeeeeery similar to sr3 and it really shows. The city scape especially was just like sr3 very boring, but the game was a kind of dumb fun i guess.

Apparently the DLC was scrapped and they made a whole new thing with SR4. The first DLC for SR4 will be the DLC that was planned for SR3, but more tongue-in-cheek.

#12 Edited by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

I think the structure is very clever, the whole lets parody Mass Effect.

Said so, that much craziness broke the spell for me, it went from good wacko, to just plain wacko. I don't know how to explain it, lets says SR3 obey a internal logic, I don't think there is any logic in SR4, it became kind of like Family Guy, the reference for the sake of the reference.

Also the plot is kinda lame, and yeah the city being a refurbish of Steel Port with nonsense Sci Fi elements... not cutting it for me.

#13 Posted by MrCaptain (361 posts) -

I have the same feeling and i have completed the game.

especially when there already where mods for saints row the third who did almost exactly this. I played through the story and enjoyed it but expected a lot more.

#14 Posted by EXTomar (4121 posts) -

There is nothing wrong with disliking popular games. I am unsure where people think there is something wrong with them if they don't automatically jump onto some bandwagon with a bunch of other people.

#15 Posted by King_of_Winter (12 posts) -

It certainly doesn't feel like a expansion pack for me.

#16 Posted by MonkeyMitcho (113 posts) -

I agree with you to a point. It is extremely similar to the last one. Even using the same map as the same map as the third one which i thought to be a bit cheap, but also it was just more saints row which is what i was looking for. The super powers were also a neat inclusion.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.