Reused dialog, or is Pierce supposed to be gay?

#1 Posted by BBAlpert (1478 posts) -

Mild, mild spoilers for the "romance" options, I suppose.

I'm playing as Lady Boss (Female 1 is the One True Boss), and when I use the "romance" option with Pierce, he says "Well, I don't normally swing that way, but what the hell!" I don't know if he says the same thing when you're playing as Dude Boss.

The way I see it, there are 3 ways to interpret that line.

1. He's not normally interested in women, but he'll make an exception.
  2. He isn't normally into casual sex and/or banging friends.
  3. Volition wrote/recorded that line to be used as a reaction for when Dude Boss proposes getting it on, and didn't make an alternate version for Lady Boss.

Not that it makes any sort of difference with his character or the plot or anything, one way or the other, it just seemed like a curiously worded response.

#2 Edited by MildMolasses (3221 posts) -

You are over thinking it

#3 Posted by GreggD (4505 posts) -

Well, he did really like that stripper's shoes in SR2.

#4 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

He said the same thing to Troy Baker and British guy.
He's sending mixed signals!

#5 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

It's reused. The interaction is the same for everyone no matter your player character sex.

#6 Edited by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

Odd, I took it as he was into monogamous relationships.

#7 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3102 posts) -

Personally, I like to take it as hanging out with The Boss put him off of whatever gender The Boss is.

#8 Edited by alternate (2707 posts) -

As far as I can tell all the romance options are the same lines. Likely deliberate. Like if you are male Keith David acts all evasive and seems like he is making an excuse because he is not in to guys but it is exactly the same read if you are female.

No really worth over thinking a throw away joke about Mass Effect.

#9 Posted by Iodine (547 posts) -

You mean a video games romance options don't feel fully fleshed out?

Well shit

#10 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

Yeah I actually always thought pierce was gay.

#11 Posted by BBAlpert (1478 posts) -

As far as I can tell all the romance options are the same lines. Likely deliberate. Like if you are male Keith David acts all evasive and seems like he is making an excuse because he is not in to guys but it is exactly the same read if you are female.

I figured the Keith David reaction was more a clever(ish) way of handling certain provisions in the "use of likeness" contracts, similar to the way that a lot of car manufacturers will let companies include their vehicles in racing games, but not allow modeled damage.

But you're right, I am over thinking this.

#12 Posted by TruthTellah (9127 posts) -

It is reused dialog, as the dialog is the same for male or female, and Pierce is supposed to be gay/not gay. It's malleable, and it doesn't matter. That's the point.

#13 Edited by Nictel (2412 posts) -

They are I think its one of Pierce´s lines that goes something like `Do you sometimes have the feeling we´re all very repetitive?'

#14 Edited by Karkarov (3111 posts) -

Pierce isn't gay, he spends half of Saint's Row 2 all mopey cause Shaundi has banged everyone in Stilwater except the boss and him. I think it is just that he isn't normally into the casual sex thing :P, that and yeah, it is just a joke.

#15 Posted by DonChipotle (2763 posts) -

Pierce's sexuality has been a comedic point since SR2.

#16 Edited by BBAlpert (1478 posts) -

I guess one of the reasons I was confused was that I never played SR 1 or 2, so I didn't know whether or not that line was supposed to be a callback that I just didn't get.

#17 Posted by Yummylee (21695 posts) -

Pierce's sexuality has been a comedic point since SR2.

Yup. They probably intentionally left that in here just to throw people off. Man, the fanservice in this game is overwhelming; I felt like crying whilst playing the Benjamin King 'recruitment' mission.

I also like how pretty much every fucking gang ever now spawns throughout Steelport. Like, what.

#18 Edited by TheHT (11300 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.