Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Saints Row IV

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Aug 20, 2013

When invading aliens capture the Saints and imprison their minds in a digital recreation of Steelport, it's up to the Boss (who by now has become the President of the United States) to free Earth from its oppressive new overlords.

Wired 360 controller not working on PC

JSwan13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

The controller works fine in any other game but in Saints Row 4 it's like it doesn't even recognize it. I've tried unplugging everything that's connected to my PC other than the controller but no luck. Has anyone else had this problem? Know any solutions?

kickahaota

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

One of the FAQs suggests unplugging and replugging the controller while the game is running. Other than that, I don't know what to tell you, unless you have a chatty mouse. (There are a few mice that constantly generate mouse-moved events in Windows, rather than only sending events when the mouse actually moves. This is problematic for a variety of reasons, but it especially effects games like Saints Row that support both mouse/keyboard and controller, and that pay attention to the most recent device to generate input; since the mouse is constantly generating input, the controller gets shouted down.)

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By chilibean_3

I was having that issue also. After some plugging and unplugging and replugging I just dealt with the keyboard and mouse. Hopefully I'll figure it out this evening.

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

k/m and 360 controller working great for me.. i switch between them..

running around and jumping == 360... shooting ppl == k/m

i'm using win8.. most games need the controller connected and "active" before the game starts

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

One of the FAQs suggests unplugging and replugging the controller while the game is running. Other than that, I don't know what to tell you, unless you have a chatty mouse. (There are a few mice that constantly generate mouse-moved events in Windows, rather than only sending events when the mouse actually moves. This is problematic for a variety of reasons, but it especially effects games like Saints Row that support both mouse/keyboard and controller, and that pay attention to the most recent device to generate input; since the mouse is constantly generating input, the controller gets shouted down.)

This might be part of the problem. One of the things that I noticed (and appreciated, since it doesn't seem as common a feature as it should be) was that as soon as I started to use my controller while on the main menu, the mouse cursor disappeared. That could imply that the game makes a substantial distinction between "controller mode" and "keyboard/mouse mode," as opposed to games that recognize controller inputs but still show a mouse cursor and keyboard prompts.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, still couldn't get it to work. Annoying.

Haze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Haze

Do you have a bluetooth dongle plugged in? In order to get the controller working I had to plug mine out. Very annoying indeed.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

That's too bad. I have had brief issues with keyboard prompts coming up when I'm using only the gamepad but other than that it's been fine.

mike45week

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I had that same issue, turned out the 360 controller wasn't the primary game remote, it was a program called unified remote (an exe for my phone to controls video players) all I did was uninstalled it...then presto game worked no ish

ninjakitten9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had that same issue, turned out the 360 controller wasn't the primary game remote, it was a program called unified remote (an exe for my phone to controls video players) all I did was uninstalled it...then presto game worked no ish

Omg thank you! I made an account just so I could say that.

chrjz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By chrjz

I have the same problem with a wireless 360 gamepad... It occurs in Dead Island as well.

The gamepad works in the menu until I load a game and then it stops working altogether. The button prompts are for a gamepad, though.

Anybody have any insight? I like to play in front of my TV, so I'd really like the use of a gamepad.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Nictel

@bbalpert said:

@kickahaota said:

This might be part of the problem. One of the things that I noticed (and appreciated, since it doesn't seem as common a feature as it should be) was that as soon as I started to use my controller while on the main menu, the mouse cursor disappeared. That could imply that the game makes a substantial distinction between "controller mode" and "keyboard/mouse mode," as opposed to games that recognize controller inputs but still show a mouse cursor and keyboard prompts.

Yes it does. The keyboard doesn't work if you have any of the controls pressed on the gamepad and vice-versa. I noticed this when I wanted to change radio stations which is kind of a hassle on the controller.

@chrjz said:

I have the same problem with a wireless 360 gamepad... It occurs in Dead Island as well.

The gamepad works in the menu until I load a game and then it stops working altogether. The button prompts are for a gamepad, though.

Anybody have any insight? I like to play in front of my TV, so I'd really like the use of a gamepad.

So in light of this weird suggestion maybe but try unplugging your mouse and see if that works.

chrjz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nictel said:

So in light of this weird suggestion maybe but try unplugging your mouse and see if that works.

Yeah, I tried that already, no luck.

Any more ideas would be appreciated.

BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@chrjz said:

@nictel said:

Yeah, I tried that already, no luck.

Any more ideas would be appreciated.

Do you have a gaming keypad? (G13, Nostromo etc)

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
    deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems fine on my system.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

On my PC the issue was conflicting drivers. Beyond installing additional drivers what I ended up having to do was disable another driver that automatically loads up when you connect your controller.

First I installed the official Xbox 360 Controller Drivers via http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/d/xbox-360-controller-for-windows. After I got it installed (maybe with a reset, too, I forget since this is something I did way back in the day for another game that had similar problems) I went to the Windows' Device Manager and saw that there were two separate entries for HID Compliant Devices (Microsoft Common Controller should be its own category so that's the one thing in the device manager you don't touch). I basically disabled one and since haven't had issues at all with my controller.

So if installing the drivers themselves doesn't work you might have to play around with the Device Manager like I did. You can't really mess anything up since you can reenable anything you disable; just be careful to not uninstall drivers or something.

chrjz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, I dug up a powered USB hub and plugged my wireless receiver into that; I didn't actually expect it to work but it did.

Anybody else having gamepad issues might want to try this as well...

JSwan13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

On my PC the issue was conflicting drivers. Beyond installing additional drivers what I ended up having to do was disable another driver that automatically loads up when you connect your controller.

First I installed the official Xbox 360 Controller Drivers via http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/d/xbox-360-controller-for-windows. After I got it installed (maybe with a reset, too, I forget since this is something I did way back in the day for another game that had similar problems) I went to the Windows' Device Manager and saw that there were two separate entries for HID Compliant Devices (Microsoft Common Controller should be its own category so that's the one thing in the device manager you don't touch). I basically disabled one and since haven't had issues at all with my controller.

So if installing the drivers themselves doesn't work you might have to play around with the Device Manager like I did. You can't really mess anything up since you can reenable anything you disable; just be careful to not uninstall drivers or something.

This worked! Thanks duder!

satlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By satlas

I made an account just to post this. I was having a hard time getting my Xbox 360 controller (actually I used a PS3 controller with an emulator) to work with Saints Row IV as well as Splinter Cell Blacklist. It worked with all games except those two (at least thats what I was able to tell..). Well it turned out it was my Razer nostromo, It was conflicting with the games ability to recognize my controller. I uninstalled it since i hardly use it anyway. Well hope this helps people, It was a pain in the ass to figure out.

rcs1673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was having the same issue. I tried unplugging keyboard/mouse and everything else but the gamepad and it worked. Was able to plug keyboard and mouse back in and worked in game with no issue. Found out the reason it wasn't working was because I had the Razer Orbweaver plugged in as well. Once I unplugged that the gamepad worked fine!

claire_bargo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okee! I made an account just for this so pardon me on that one.

Heres the thing, you can have a nostromo, and 360 controller function at the same time, the problem is when these devices install, and are plugged in for the first time, they both run off the same IRQ, which for many things isn't really a problem, but in the case of this game it is, it will always choose Nostromo over 360 controller. So the solution is to move the nostromo to a new IRQ, which is done in control panel, just view devices by resources find the controller and reassign it.

and if you dont want to do that, just disable the nostromo from the devices.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.