Fun references

• 52 results
#1 Posted by Djratchet (669 posts) -

They seem to be scattered throughout the game, and most can be easily missed. What are some of your favorites?

Off the top of my head, here are some of mine.

-One of the waves in Whored Mode is called Y. Kanno. The description is "3.2.1. Let's Jam!" You control a tank in this wave. Cowboy Bebop Reference.

-In the end of Gangstas in Space, the default Male voice (Troy Baker) straight up says a line word for word from Red Faction Guerrilla's protaganist, Mason.

- The challenge for completing the Assassination missions is called "Everything is Permitted". Assassin's Creed Reference.

I know there are plenty more I am missing. I'm surprised I caught the ones I listed, to be honest.

#2 Edited by zaglis (910 posts) -

Hank East.  
He's covered wars, ya know.

>Spawn with a chainsaw.

In whored mode. That made me smile

#3 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (1046 posts) -
#4 Posted by Djratchet (669 posts) -

Found another one in Whored Mode.

The Real Girl
"Make Lars Proud"

>Spawn with blow up doll

#5 Posted by darkvare (780 posts) -

the wave on whored mode called "he covered wars you know"

#6 Posted by Andorski (5366 posts) -

One of the options your character can have as a compliment is called "It's not unusual." It's the Carlton dance from Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

#7 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

@Andorski said:

One of the options your character can have as a compliment is called "It's not unusual." It's the Carlton dance from Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

I break this move out at any possible occasion. In the middle of fire fights, in front of cops, whatever. Always.

One of my favorites was the mission titled "Stop all the downloading" that gave me a good laugh.

#8 Posted by Loyal_Dragoon (118 posts) -

I love the "I still believe" reference. Not only is it one of the best taunts, but its also a great reference to a great song and movie.

#9 Posted by hbkdx12 (779 posts) -

I could be stretching on this one either that or it's super obscure...

In the mission "Stop all the downloading" when you have to steal the chair from the deckers, the chair is called a Neurological Electro Magnetic Onieroscope (NEMO) Chair

Are Kinzie hacks the uplinks and shutdowns the power, she begins to tell your character what she needs to do to locate the chair but you cut her off. She says they have to fly around the area as she needs more time to get a lock on the chair in other words, more time for FINDING NEMO 

:)

#10 Posted by bjohn55 (3 posts) -

And Boom Goes the Dynamite

#11 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8607 posts) -

Shaundi to Gat in the opening mission.
"I should be so lucky".  

#12 Posted by EVO (3941 posts) -

The power plant is called Burns Hill Reactors.

#13 Posted by Djratchet (669 posts) -

Found not one, but two Idiocracy references in the trophy list.

Ow My Balls!

and

Double Dose of Pimping

#14 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

Cyber Buster = Mega Buster. I mean... Duh. Also, in the deckers.die mission, the tank minigame you play is a reference to the Atari game Tank.

#15 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

Viola makes a comment about a "comma and three friends dead" this is a reference to the first and second saints row. also the SOLAR is just a rebranded Prius. and the Kamata( motorcycle ) is just a rebranded Ninja.

also I refuse to believe that Gat is dead, that man is larger then life.

#16 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@Dagbiker said:

Viola makes a comment about a "comma and three friends dead" this is a reference to the first and second saints row. also the SOLAR is just a rebranded Prius. and the Kamata( motorcycle ) is just a rebranded Ninja.

Kia also talk about Carlos, Lin and Aisha. It's pretty cool. Also, i've played SRII and SR after i beat The Third, so the time i saw that i was all like: "Who are these guys?"
#17 Posted by LTSmash (659 posts) -

Killbane references The Montreal Screwjob early on.

#18 Posted by Yummylee (22568 posts) -
#19 Posted by Tuggah (1073 posts) -

@LTSmash said:

Killbane references The Montreal Screwjob early on.

this had me in stitches.

#20 Posted by Vextroid (1429 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

@Dagbiker said:

Kia also talk about Carlos, Lin and Aisha. It's pretty cool. Also, i've played SRII and SR after i beat The Third, so the time i saw that i was all like: "Who are these guys?"

Also Cyrus Temple (STAG Leader) references the Brotherhood mission from SR2 where:

You put Maeros girlfriend (Jessica) in a car trunk an trick Maero in to crushing it with his Monster truck.
#21 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

@Loyal_Dragoon said:

I love the "I still believe" reference. Not only is it one of the best taunts, but its also a great reference to a great song and movie.

All I can think of is the Mariah Carey song... What am I missing?

#22 Posted by Loyal_Dragoon (118 posts) -

@TheGreatGuero said:

@Loyal_Dragoon said:

All I can think of is the Mariah Carey song... What am I missing?

Its from the movie The Lost Boys

#23 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

The Scroob taunt, for all your Spaceballs needs.

#24 Posted by StalkingTurnip (150 posts) -

During the Tron Segment, Kenzie tells you that defeating Miller now will be a piece of cake.

The female Russian Boss will respond Kenzie I told you I dont understand any of your computer babble.

It was the only portal cake reference I have ever laughed at.

#25 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -

None of you have listed the Karate Kid reference with that "You're the best song." Shame, because the final reveal of how they use that song is awesome.

#26 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@mfpantst said:

None of you have listed the Karate Kid reference with that "You're the best song." Shame, because the final reveal of how they use that song is awesome.

That part was so great! 
#27 Edited by craigymail (209 posts) -

Some of the taunts are based on lots of wrestlers

The Marine is John Cena's "you can't see me" taunt.

Angelmania is Hulk Hogan's ear cupping taunt complete with signature muscle flexes

Natureboy is Woos then struts

Neck Slice is Undertaker's cut throat.

#28 Posted by Yanngc33 (4461 posts) -

Empire Strikes Back reference at the end, expected which is why it made it so great

#29 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

In the final mission in the Kill Killbane route, the boss says (s)he's not going down in another explosion on a ship, referencing the end of the first Saints Row.

Also, Oleg does his best Terminator impression after being freed from the Syndicate cloning facility.

#30 Posted by SketchPanic (54 posts) -

@Vextroid: I thought that was a nice nod, amongst many others to the first few games. SR:TT is chock full of pop-culture and previous game references. I had one to contribute but forgot... -__-

#31 Posted by Andorski (5366 posts) -

@mfpantst said:

There is also a Karate Kid taunt (the one-legged stance at the end of the film).

#32 Posted by Little_Socrates (5715 posts) -

I'm super fond of the motorcycle named the Kaneda. I wish it had been that bike straight-up, but the reference is enough.

#33 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

Fairly obvious: one of the taunts ("Westbound and Up") is a recreation of the Kenny Powers entrance dance from the HBO show Eastbound and Down.

#34 Posted by Optix12 (625 posts) -

almost every taunt and compliment has some form of reference I think. The Ninja i love referencing That song from Tennage Mutant Ninjas 2 that Vanilla Ice did.

#35 Posted by Daiphyer (1352 posts) -

I fucking love this game.

#36 Posted by emergency (1190 posts) -

Killbane is pretty great. He makes a lot of wrestling puns etc. For example he always has a folded steel chair.

#37 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -
@Andorski said:

@mfpantst said:

There is also a Karate Kid taunt (the one-legged stance at the end of the film).

Ahh had not seen that one.  Will have to look it up.  Also, on the subject of 80's movies there's a bill and ted taunt, that if you use actually makes guitar sounds.
#38 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@Little_Socrates said:

I'm super fond of the motorcycle named the Kaneda. I wish it had been that bike straight-up, but the reference is enough.

There's also the Kenshin, named for the protagonist of Rurouni Kenshin, and the Estrada, for Eric Estrada.

#39 Posted by Anonymgeist (30 posts) -

I liked the Bronco-like SUV was named the Nordberg, after OJ's character in the Naked Gun movies, and McMannus sniper rifle, which was Stephen Baldwin's character in The Usual Suspects.

#40 Posted by natetodamax (19220 posts) -

I love the Breaking Bad reference (the Door Knocker facial hair)

#41 Posted by beeryayghost (342 posts) -
@Voxel said:
I love the Breaking Bad reference (the Door Knocker facial hair)
.....It all makes sense now! Time to cook.
#42 Posted by BatmanReturned (49 posts) -

Kinzie, a hacker lives in the neighborhood of Salander. As in the hacker Lisbeth Salander the titular girl in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

#43 Posted by Ben_H (3439 posts) -

Reading all these makes we want to play the game all over again, and I just finished it three days ago. 

YOU'RE THE BEST AROUND NOTHING'S GONNA EVER KEEP YOU DOWN!

#44 Posted by SaintOfKillers (66 posts) -

i didn't get the reference the first time but In the airport there's a plane named Snipes 57

#45 Posted by Nottle (1915 posts) -

@Loyal_Dragoon said:

I'm sorry, but what movie/ song is it a reference to? It is probably something called "I Still Believe" but I have no idea.

#46 Posted by Loyal_Dragoon (118 posts) -

@Nottle said:

@Loyal_Dragoon said:

I'm sorry, but what movie/ song is it a reference to? It is probably something called "I Still Believe" but I have no idea.

Its a reference to the movie The Lost Boys.

#47 Posted by MideonNViscera (2252 posts) -

@craigymail said:

Neck Slice is Undertaker's cut throat.

I took that as Benoit, which is about 100x funnier of course.

#48 Posted by lusence (350 posts) -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petronas_Towers

hehe when i saw those towers in game i knew right away that im a damn genius for knowing what those towers represented... ;)

Love how they have the Wild Stallions air guitar from bill and teds excellent adventure. i think the 'im the best around' was a parody of that southpark episode where stans dad randy (treys birth name btw randolph hehe ;) starts gettig in drunken brawls at the baseball games, eventually facing BATDAD!!!!! where they play that song and randy puts the smack down... um where am i?

#49 Posted by N7 (3677 posts) -
@Ben_H said:
Reading all these makes we want to play the game all over again, and I just finished it three days ago.  YOU'RE THE BEST AROUND NOTHING'S GONNA EVER KEEP YOU DOWN!
I shit my pants when the song came on during that mission. I. Shit. My. Pants. ISMP. I've got the pictures.

I fucking love this game.
#50 Posted by lusence (350 posts) -

forgot about this one .... they needed the karate kid stance for a high kick for a taunt ;p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oomCIXGzsR0

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.