Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Saints Row: The Third

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 15, 2011

After turning their infamy into worldwide fame, the Third Street Saints now find themselves at war with a powerful criminal organization called The Syndicate. Strap it on.

Game of the year

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By DG991

This should be game of the year.

Will alex giving it 4/5 mean that it doesn't have a chance?

One of the reasons I don't like the rating system.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MideonNViscera

Was it your favorite game this year? Yes? Then it's the game of the year.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Its all about what you think lad, not what some site thinks.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By monetarydread

It might be your game of the year, but it isn't my game of the year (it's skyrim). Not bashing it or anything, because I think it at least deserves a spot in the top 5.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By eroticfishcake

GoTY is just some label. The game doesn't get any worse or better with or without it so it just boils down to how much you yourself enjoys it. The industry will disagree but then again the industries relies on Metacritic. Take that for what it is.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By altairre

Oh, I´m sure Saints Row 3 will (deservedly) get mentioned in at least one category. Ryan and especially Jeff really liked it and the craziness will be awarded in one way or another. For their GotY I guess Skyrim takes it and I don´t think that SR3 would have had a chance even if it got 5/5.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Sooty

Why care?! If nobody here shares my opinion, then that's fine.

My GoTY picks will be Catherine and UMvC3. No site agreeing or disagreeing with me will change it.

MayorFeedback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MayorFeedback

Hot Pursuit was 4/5 last year and made the top 5, if I'm not mistaken. Stars are just one duder's opinion. I can see SR3 making the list. It'll be on mine, for sure.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Commisar123

Well I'm going to champion it not necessarily because I think its the best, but because its going to get the least amount of recognition.

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By hbkdx12

It's my GOTY right along with Arkham City. 

The only two games i played and thoroughly enjoyed this season

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By dtat

I played it and it doesn't get my game of the year. It just doesn't have enough to it for me. The bombsquad made it out to be way crazier than it actually is.

Neferon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Neferon

I thought it was fun. Especially co-op.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ravenlight

SR3 is undoubtedly awesome but my personal favorite game of 2011 is Bastion.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Afroman269

I like how some people were actually getting angry at the thought of this game being a candidate for GoTY after what the guys were saying in the recent podcast. I say fuck off to those people, a fun game is still a fun game.

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

and this.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MikkaQ

Does it really matter?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#16  Edited By Yummylee

@MikkaQ said:

Does it really matter?

Nope. I'm sure we'll agree that the best part of it all is listening to them debate and discuss about what should be their GOTY, rather than witnessing the end result of what the actual GOTY is.

For me it's definitely up there, nestled nicely against Dark Souls and inFAMOUS 2. I still haven't played Skyrim or Bastion, which I really want to play (or at least play a solid chunk of, regarding Skyrim) to better decide what'll be my own personal GOTY, though.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MikkaQ

@Abyssfull: I agree. The deliberations are the most amusing part, it's great to hear everyone's arguments and justifications.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Dtat said:

I played it and it doesn't get my game of the year. It just doesn't have enough to it for me. The bombsquad made it out to be way crazier than it actually is.

I felt the same way. I was a little let down because Jeff acted like it was non stop crazy. Only one mission I felt lived up to that. It was ultimately a over the top sandbox game with a pinch of crazy.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#19  Edited By Yummylee

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Dtat said:

I felt the same way. I was a little let down because Jeff acted like it was non stop crazy. Only one mission I felt lived up to that. It was ultimately a over the top sandbox game with a pinch of crazy.

I think Jeff built it up so much because he (and a lot of the other staff it seems, minus Ryan) didn't play a lot of Saints Row 2, which is where a lot of what people love about Saints Row The Third originated from. I still disagree, though, and found the game to have a lot of pretty outlandish and zany moments. But at the same time I agree, to some extent, that Jeff lavished a little more praise towards its inventive insanity than it probably deserves.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By 234r2we232

I don't think Brad would allow it. It wasn't "His" game, and we all know how he can be at this time of the year.

Saints Row 3 is certainly my GOTY :D. Those were some genuinely awesome video game moments that I will cherish for a long time.

Mikewrestler5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Mikewrestler5

How? When compared to Saints Row 2, this one was disappointing.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#22  Edited By benspyda

Could probably put it as my second of the year. But you just can't beat Skyrim for GOTY. It would certainly be a shock it Skyrim didn't get it but I would totally love it if they made SR3 as GOTY as it would seem as absurd as the game itself.

flopper165

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By flopper165

Mmmmmm

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

I'm sorry sir, but you seem to have all your facts wrong. It's quite obvious that Skyrim is GOTY.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dtat

@Abyssfull said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Dtat said:

I think Jeff built it up so much because he (and a lot of the other staff it seems, minus Ryan) didn't play a lot of Saints Row 2, which is where a lot of what people love about Saints Row The Third originated from. I still disagree, though, and found the game to have a lot of pretty outlandish and zany moments. But at the same time I agree, to some extent, that Jeff lavished a little more praise towards its inventive insanity than it probably deserves.

Yeah I didn't play Saints Row 2 either. It was a really fun game, but walking away from it I sort of said "Yeah that was a pretty fun game with some crazy over the top moments!" not "Oh my god! I've never seen anything like that!!" Which is how Jeff said he felt.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#26  Edited By bibamatt

Woah, do you guys like CRAZY antics and PROSTITUTES and SILLY COSTUMES and other ZANY shit?! Then you'll love Saints Row the Third!

I hate the word over-rated, but I was hugely disappointed with this game (specifically the level of 'crazy') after that Bombcast. Sure, it's GTA without the boring bits, but it's also GTA without any substance. And that's not to say bits of SR3 aren't stupid fun, but I just found it really easy and super repetitive. Just nothing dragged me back and LOADS of it made me cringe. I kinda don't want people to know that I've played it, know what I mean?

PerfidiousSinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27  Edited By PerfidiousSinn

@Mikewrestler5 said:

How? When compared to Saints Row 2, this one was disappointing.

You're right. I wish I could say this game is definitively better than Saints Row 2, but I can't. It's a good game but it has a lot of unfulfilled potential, especially when it comes to the story missions.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

The review shouldn't come into it at all, since Navarro did it and he isn't a part of the GotY deliberations.

ckeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ckeats

Skyrim will sweep it in Giant Bomb's and my own personal GOTY debates, but the more I play Saints Row, the more I love it. I hope it wins every other category it's nominated in.

Hashbrowns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By Hashbrowns

In all honesty, I wish they would just do their personal top ten lists and leave it at that. Having a website GotY doesn't really seem to jive with the individual personality-driven style of Giant Bomb. And I assume it's just going to be Ryan, Jeff, Vinny, Brad and Patrick involved in the debate. Why just them? Drew, Dave, Alex and Kessler all reviewed games this year that will be up for consideration. Why would their opinions be of any less value?

The debates are sometimes entertaining, but I find it incredibly frustrating to listen to four hours of arguments without having some kind of input. The user-choice GotY awards make way more sense, and exclusively featuring it as the official Giant Bomb GotY Awards would help to promote the community involvement that is so essential to Giant Bomb. They could still produce a long-form podcast to discuss and compare their own lists in more detail than the video segments allow, and we would be sparred the rambling, circular-reasoning arguments we get during a GotY debate.

This isn't directly related to Saints Row, so sorry about the tangent.

ColinWright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ColinWright

I hate these threads. I mean really, who gives a fuck about some label? Just play the games you enjoy.

zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By zaglis
    @TheDudeOfGaming said:
    I'm sorry sir, but you seem to have all your facts wrong. It's quite obvious that Skyrim is GOTY.
    COMEDY!
    234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#33  Edited By 234r2we232

@bibamatt said:

I hate the word over-rated, but I was hugely disappointed with this game (specifically the level of 'crazy') after that Bombcast. Sure, it's GTA without the boring bits, but it's also GTA without any substance. And that's not to say bits of SR3 aren't stupid fun, but I just found it really easy and super repetitive.

That's funny, because every GTA game I've played has used "substance" to the exact same effect and in the same predictable and tedious way. I've seen enough crime thrillers and South Park episodes to understand GTA's tone, and I'm totally done with it. The gameplay is so thinly layered and shallow (read: like all Rockstar games) and always seems to take a firm backseat to all that important hype and branding. 'Third may be easy, but it is at least it bothers to make it's shortcomings entertaining.

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By samcotts

I think Saints Row The Third has made what would have been a fairly predictable GOTY Giant Bomb podcast, into something where I really don't know what the result will be. Really looking forward to the Saints Row The Third vs Skyrim discussion.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By fjordson

Ugh. Everyone's got their personal GOTY, sure, but I just don't get all the praise. Game is garbage. Especially the driving.

Playing it just made me think about how GTA V can't come soon enough.

Edit: Okay, that was unnecessary. The game isn't garbage. I just...I don't know, it's simply not clicking with me. And I really don't like the way the cars handle.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#36  Edited By musubi
    @Afroman269 said:

I like how some people were actually getting angry at the thought of this game being a candidate for GoTY after what the guys were saying in the recent podcast. I say fuck off to those people, a fun game is still a fun game.

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

and this.

Indeed.  Like we need to have the same discussion we've had about GOTY with essentially the same games like Uncharted, Batman, Skyrim etc...sure all great games but just because those games are higher profiled doesn't mean that  they   1. Deserve it.   2. something else can't win.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By napalm

Saints Row: The Third not winning Giant Bomb's Game Of The Year category would be UNETHICAL. 

Extended realityyyy!

wafflez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By wafflez

The rating they give really means nothing. I've heard Jeff say multiple times they've considered getting rid of the stars all together. Personally, I think it is easily a game of the year candidate. The guys in the office (aka the guys who make the decision on GOTY) love this game. I think it will be between SR3 and Skyrim. But whatever, as much as I'd love to say they went with the less popular pick (SR3) I could understand the Skyrim pick. I guess.. yes its a candidate. And dont get worked up over what other people say.. Have your own opinion.

The_Big_Rough

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By The_Big_Rough

Still think GOTY means fuck all these days......

But yeah Skyrim...

Rekt_Hed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40  Edited By Rekt_Hed

I've never had such a turn around in opinion. Before playing it I could have not have been more on the fence. After completing it I was left with some amazing experiences and some of my fav gaming moments this year.

For me I now have to think hard about how this stacks up against the other heavy hitter this year. But is say this would be nothing less than in the top 5.

To answer your question. No I don't think 4 stars will effect its chances of being goty. If you base all your opinions on a score you've already gone off the right path for a healthy train of thought.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.