Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Saints Row: The Third

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 15, 2011

After turning their infamy into worldwide fame, the Third Street Saints now find themselves at war with a powerful criminal organization called The Syndicate. Strap it on.

Genkibowl VII is Out! An Error, and Impressions

ionagenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ionagenda

Genkibowl VII HAS BEGUN! Let us all prepare for the wild world of Professor Genki: "Murder Time, Fun Time!"

In general, what is everyone thinking about it, for those of you who are playing it?

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Hector

Season Pass does include Genkibowl.

ionagenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ionagenda

@Hector: Ah, the phrasing of the Pass implies that there is a discount, not that you get the whole thing free. I simply must have misinterpreted it.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By SMTDante89

@IonAgenda: With the Season Pass, you've paid for the three major DLC coming out for Saints Row: The Third, but by buying the Season Pass, you save 33%, buying all three separately would have been $30, but with the Season Pass, you only paid $20, so GenkiBowl, Clones and Gangsta's in Space will be "free" for you when they come out, because you already paid for them.

ionagenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ionagenda

@SMTDante89: Ah, that makes a lot of sense. Is anyone else playing it? I feel like I should probably reserve my judgement until I finish it.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@IonAgenda said:

In general, what is everyone thinking about it, for those of you who are playing it?

@IonAgenda said:

@SMTDante89: I feel like I should probably reserve my judgement until I finish it.

Way to be good example, champ !

Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
    SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By SmasheControllers

Super fun, not enough.

ionagenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ionagenda

@SmasheControllers: Yeah, I just finished it in a little under 2 hours. Missing like, 4 achievements, I'll go back later.

I definitely loved it but was hoping for it to extend the game in a meaningful way and it felt more like something meant to be played alongside the story rather than post-game. New outfits or weapons to sink some money into would have been nice, considering how it piles up.

MildlyPsycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MildlyPsycho

The DLC was kinda fun, the activities are enjoyable, but there really isn't anything added to the story. I hope that there are some story beats added in the next pack. The play time was kinda short probably took me about 2 hours to complete and pick up the all the new achievements .

Rerejo28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Rerejo28

So, would you say its worth paying for it? Seeing as I didn't get the season pass.

MildlyPsycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MildlyPsycho

I really don't know if it is worth the money. I love this game so much, but in reality its like 6 bucks for 4 new side missions. So unless you love to strap it on, you probably shouldn't get this one.

ionagenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ionagenda

Purely economically, you get (correct me if I'm wrong here):

• 4 Homies
    • 3 Vehicles
    • 3 Masks
    • 1 Suit
    • 6 Missions

All for around 2 hours of gameplay. If you loved strapping it on this much, I'd say you probably already bought the Season Pass. I definitely do not consider it worth the non-discounted price.

I noticed in the intro one of the tickers says something along the lines of "People are questioning if Johnny Gat is really dead," which gives me hope that the upcoming Clone-themed DLC has some sweet Johnny Gat action.

MildlyPsycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MildlyPsycho

@IonAgenda: You forgot to add that they licensed the Monday NIght Football theme music. Which was pretty awesome haha.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#14  Edited By musubi

Lets not forget that PC players all get a set of Team Fortress 2 character masks in Saints Row 3 to wear for FREE.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By napalm
    @IonAgenda: Who are the four homies you get?
    ionagenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ionagenda

@Napalm:

• Angry Tiger, the Sexy Angry Tiger
    • Sad Panda, the Sexy Sad Panda
    • Sexy Kitten, the Sexy Sexy Kitten
    • Tammy Tolliver, a reporter and announcer for the Genkibowl. (She's really reminiscent of Jane V. in SR2)
    • (Also there's a delivery homie for "Yarnie")
    stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By stackboy

I think I will still bite on this one.

Djratchet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Djratchet

Waiting on PSN to update so I can get it with my Season Pass, can't wait

valiantgrizzly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By valiantgrizzly

Not yet available on XBL for me, for some reason. Has it been officially released in Europe?

cyraxible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By cyraxible

I don't think I have downloaded it yet on Steam, even though it's been released and the Steam store says I own it...

I got Cheapy-D and the TF2 heads though.

vaportra1l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By vaportra1l

I'm pretty sure if you have Cheapy D which means you have the compatibility patch, you can play Genkibowl. I just bought the seasons pass and already had the patch and it didn't download anything new. I was then able to access the new missions.

kwyee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By kwyee

@IonAgenda said:

• 4 Homies
    • 3 Vehicles
    • 3 Masks
    • 1 Suit
    • 6 Missions

All for around 2 hours of gameplay. If you loved strapping it on this much, I'd say you probably already bought the Season Pass. I definitely do not consider it worth the non-discounted price.

I noticed in the intro one of the tickers says something along the lines of "People are questioning if Johnny Gat is really dead," which gives me hope that the upcoming Clone-themed DLC has some sweet Johnny Gat action.

I was also in the disbelief + denial camp of Johnny Gat's demise, but here's hoping that with enough fan demand, he'll make an appearance in #4.

Also, can't wait to get home and Bowl me some Genki

Djratchet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Djratchet

Just reclaimed my SR3 S-Rank. It was short, but man it was fun, and I was laughing all the way. Can't wait for the next main DLC.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By chilibean_3

Finished it in about an hour. It's pretty much what I had expected but not what I had hoped. Six missions but they are all side activities. Had a few funny moments though. I already had the season pass so I'm all in but if you're on the fence I can't recommend it.

bassman2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By bassman2112

I finished up the DLC in around an hour as well, and I'll probably replay some of the missions - they were actually pretty fun. The stuff you get after all of it is pretty cool, and some of the writing is pretty funny; but I'm not sure if I recommend it for someone just to pick up on a whim. I thought it was pretty good as I have the season pass, and I had already 100% the game; but I'm hoping they end up putting some more story-type missions in with the next pieces of DLC they release =)

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By darkvare

cheapy d is free for everyone just in case anyone was wondering

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By Dreamfall31

I think it's not bad. A few more activities which are decent. One is pretty much Katamari, but destroy everything. The new costume, hats, and homies are neat too. Just maybe not as meaningful after you finish the rest of the game.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By Vonocourt

Well that was alright, found some of the activities a little frustrating though. Found myself overshooting a bit in Sad Panda's mission, landing on the balcony just below the top, hoping there was a ethical balloon somewhere near, but overall those missions were fun. But I hated those PR activities, mostly because the game glitched out at the end of one so the drop-off location wasn't coming up.

I didn't get to try it, but does the panda suit have the same ability outside the missions?

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By gike987

It was fun but short, finished it in one hour. All of the activities were much better than most of the activities in the main game.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#30  Edited By Hizang

It was fun but short, got everything + trophies in about an hour or so.

Rekt_Hed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31  Edited By Rekt_Hed

Just to echo what bombers are saying, Yeh its pretty short lived but all the content that is there is fucking great. That car you get.....ohhh my days :)

Only thing I would of liked more of is at least 1 or 2 more of each type of mission you can have for this DLC.

I'd say if your on the fence about this its probably best to sign up for the season pass for your discount. I don't think I could recommend this full price, especially if your not heavily into saints row.

Djratchet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Djratchet

@Vonocourt said:

I didn't get to try it, but does the panda suit have the same ability outside the missions?

I was really hoping so, because gliding through the air like that would be badass.... but no, its gliding abilities are only limited to the sad panda skyblazing events :(

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By phish09

Is CheapyD part of this DLC?

Djratchet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Djratchet

@phish09 said:

No, CheapyD is his own free DLC.

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
    deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kwyee said:

@IonAgenda said:

• 4 Homies
    • 3 Vehicles
    • 3 Masks
    • 1 Suit
    • 6 Missions

I was also in the disbelief + denial camp of Johnny Gat's demise, but here's hoping that with enough fan demand, he'll make an appearance in #4.

Also, can't wait to get home and Bowl me some Genki

I believe it has been there intention all along to bring Gat back.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#36  Edited By Hizang

How much is it by the way, I had the season pass so I don't know.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By JoeyRavn

I just finished everything in around an hour. Hour and a half at most. It was OK. I wouldn't buy it alone, but as part of a season pass it's a nice appetizer. The activities (because they are not really missions, despite what the description of the DLC may want you to believe) are completely taken from the main campaign. Tank Mayhem becomes a yarn ball and you have to drive Genki around and please him while avoiding the "fans", just like that in that other activity.

The Sad Panda Skydiving is the most original one, but it's clearly based on the "Power mission" from the campaign. You jump from a helicopter and have to go through loops, pop balloons and kill enemies on rooftops to earn money. When you have enough money ($10,000 and $15,000 depending on the each level), you have to land in the same target as in regular skydiving.

And that's the DLC. By far the most interesting aspect of it is the mention of Johnny Gat.

Phoenix778m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Phoenix778m

I love the professor genki idea and I didn't buy season pass; so I will buy it. Don't know about the rest of the DLC.

onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#39  Edited By onan

@Djratchet said:

@phish09 said:

Not sure what platforms you guys are on, but on 360 it's the same thing if you've got a season pass. CheapyD is part of the compatibility pack, which is basically a 125mb download that includes all of the content of the DLC for coop purposes (e.g., if your friend wears an unlocked suit or something), or if you've got the Season Pass, it unlocks all of it. I was confused by the wording, but that's how it works.

Guess they took a page out of Mortal Kombat's book, offering people minor free stuff to get them to download large files for co-op purposes.

Ronald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Ronald

Fun but short. I found the second traditional Genki level to be a little frustrating because the path several times looped around with one small opening leading where you needed to go. But the jungle theme was cool. I just wished there was more. The regular missions in the game had what, six of each? I think six of each here could have been fun without getting to be too much and offered a bit more value. Still, it was really fun being able to go back to SR3.

It is nice that you can still purchase the Season Pass, which is what I did to get it after it came out. And now I have my 100% of the trophies, finally (for now).

lockeyness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41  Edited By lockeyness

I really, really enjoyed the Genkibowl VII DLC, but felt that it was a little too short. Loved hanging out with the Professor, though. Considering it's "only" seven bucks or so, I'd say it's worth the cash for anyone who enjoyed Saints Row The Third.

Djratchet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Djratchet

@onan said:

@Djratchet said:

@phish09 said:

Not sure what platforms you guys are on, but on 360 it's the same thing if you've got a season pass. CheapyD is part of the compatibility pack, which is basically a 125mb download that includes all of the content of the DLC for coop purposes (e.g., if your friend wears an unlocked suit or something), or if you've got the Season Pass, it unlocks all of it. I was confused by the wording, but that's how it works.

Guess they took a page out of Mortal Kombat's book, offering people minor free stuff to get them to download large files for co-op purposes.

Yeah, On PS3, Cheapy D is just his own DLC. The PS3 got the compatibility pack stuff from a patch, like it should be done. They had to make a pack on 360 because of stupid XBLA policies or something.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.