Great Breaking Bad reference

#1 Posted by GioVANNI (1285 posts) -

In the character creator the name of the goatee is "Door Knocker". I can't think of any other explanation than an awesome reference to Breaking Bad.

#2 Posted by applet0n (652 posts) -

@GioVANNI: I will admit, that reference went completely over my head when I picked that character option. Gosh, what a great scene.

Kudos to you, sir.

#3 Posted by mlipkin (41 posts) -

I thought it was because it was in the shape of a door knocker, you know those brass rings-type ones.

#4 Posted by OroJackson (680 posts) -

ok, I'm going to buy Saints Row the Third now...

#5 Edited by MayorFeedback (674 posts) -

@mlipkin said:

I thought it was because it was in the shape of a door knocker, you know those brass rings-type ones.

Pretty much a lot of the names of costumes and hairstyles are pop culture references so I definitely wouldn't put a Breaking Bad nod past them.

Also that's the first bit of Breaking Bad I've ever seen and it kinda made me want to watch the show for the first time.

#6 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3023 posts) -

Every now and then I forget how great Breaking Bad is. Goddamn.

Also, yeah, it could easily just be because of the shape of the goatee resembling a door-knocker itself, but since more of the hairstyles are references than not, I'd just assume it was one.

#7 Posted by Ghostiet (5229 posts) -

Okay, next playthrough I'm making Walter White.

#8 Posted by VilhelmNielsen (1734 posts) -

Spoiler alert, haven't seen the 4th season. Thank god I checked the description first. Probably not a big deal, though.

#9 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7056 posts) -

What an obscure and awesome reference. I should have caught that considering my character was made to look like Walter. Kudos, OP.

#10 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Amazing scene, that and the episode with walter in the craw space, fantastic

#11 Posted by JustinNotJason (422 posts) -

I love that show, and this game is pretty awesome too.

#12 Posted by Mars (310 posts) -

Now I have to get a goatee.

#13 Posted by Hailinel (23967 posts) -

@drhans said:

@mlipkin said:

Pretty much a lot of the names of costumes and hairstyles are pop culture references so I definitely wouldn't put a Breaking Bad nod past them.

Also that's the first bit of Breaking Bad I've ever seen and it kinda made me want to watch the show for the first time.

As are the taun/compliment gestures. You can bust out the Carlton Dance from Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

#14 Posted by zombie2011 (4969 posts) -

NO.

A that type of goatee is called a door knocker, it has nothing to do with Breaking Bad.

#15 Posted by plaintomato (598 posts) -

@mlipkin said:

Well...there's that, but Breaking Bad is cool.

I once saw a guy post that the face on the Sunlight Shield in Dark Souls was an easter egg reference to Kuso Miso Technique just because it has a standard kind of anime face on it. I actually looked up Kuso Miso Technique because of the post and found out that...well, not cool. I'll take a Breaking Bad fan reading into things any day.

#16 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@zombie2011 said:

NO.

A that type of goatee is called a door knocker, it has nothing to do with Breaking Bad.

Pretty much.
#17 Posted by MildMolasses (3214 posts) -

Except that the design in question is called a van dyke. A goatee is simply just the chin.

While they do make a lot of cultural references, that one seems way too specific to be a breaking bad reference. If it was called the walter, maybe, but since it does actually resemble a door knocker, I think its meant to be very literal

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.