Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Saints Row: The Third

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 15, 2011

After turning their infamy into worldwide fame, the Third Street Saints now find themselves at war with a powerful criminal organization called The Syndicate. Strap it on.

In-game store = probably wait for the bargain bin.

Sander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Sander

I just found out that Saints Row 3 will have an in game store. I hate the idea of locked content and being nickel and dimed for it. I hate needing an internet connection when you shouldn't need one. 
    One of the most fun things about the Saints Row series is all the ridiculous customization but this time, if I see something cool and want to get it, it may end up being 240ms points. Fuck that noise. I don't want to deal with slow online menus, transfer tools etc. either.
    And the idea that development time/resources have been used to create all this instead, of say, getting Eliza Dushku to voice Shaundi again, pisses me off. 
    SR3 looks great, but it's just gone from a day one purchase to waiting for the bargain bin.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Tennmuerti

link?

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Twisted_Scot

I'm skeptical until I see proof but even then  If you ever want any  DLC you need the connection and for me the most fun thing about Saints Row is the online co-op. Either way the game will still work fine without being connected, it just has extra options if you are.

Sander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Sander

http://investor.thq.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=96376&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1589772&highlight=
    "THQ continues to focus on its four-pillar digital strategy: 1) create a digital ecosystem around key title console launches such as the November 15 release of Saints Row: The Third, which includes a robust DLC schedule, online Season Pass, and in-game store for consumables"

bslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By bslayer

It's still going to have an in-game store when it goes to the bargain bin. If anything (as long as Volition continues this and doesn't scrap it), those items may be a little cheaper.

sjosz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sjosz

Personally, I think you're overreacting, but if you're cool with missing out what looks like a kick-ass game for a good while until it hits bins, then I guess you go have fun with that.

Yeahbuhwhat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Yeahbuhwhat

You hate needing an internet connection? It's 2011, man. If an internet connection isn't  a given in your life, you're doing something wrong. And I don't even know what you're talking about with "slow online menus" and "transfer tools". 

Making games is expensive, and companies do whatever they can to recoup costs and turn a profit. That means DLC. Making a modern game that can compete on the shelves costs so much that one dud can sink a studio. The Red Faction series just ended because one game in the series underperformed. Saints Row could be next if even the fans that think it looks good aren't going to buy it, and if they kill two big THQ franchises in a row, there isn't going to be a Volition anymore. But you think it's out of line for them to want to sell some DLC? Get over yourself and find something REAL to be mad about.

Sander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sander

Yeah but a game you buy from the bargain bin has less opportunity to disappoint you because you're buying it from the bargain bin. You've already lowered your expectations.

Sander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sander
    @Sharkington said:
    You hate needing an internet connection? It's 2011, man. If an internet connection isn't  a given in your life, you're doing something wrong. And I don't even know what you're talking about with "slow online menus" and "transfer tools".  Making games is expensive, and companies do whatever they can to recoup costs and turn a profit. That means DLC. Making a modern game that can compete on the shelves costs so much that one dud can sink a studio. The Red Faction series just ended because one game in the series underperformed. Saints Row could be next if even the fans that think it looks good aren't going to buy it, and if they kill two big THQ franchises in a row, there isn't going to be a Volition anymore. But you think it's out of line for them to want to sell some DLC? Get over yourself and find something REAL to be mad about.
    I didn't say DLC. I said in-game store. In game stores don't service DLC, they service in game consumables.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Sander said:

http://investor.thq.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=96376&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1589772&highlight=
    "THQ continues to focus on its four-pillar digital strategy: 1) create a digital ecosystem around key title console launches such as the November 15 release of Saints Row: The Third, which includes a robust DLC schedule, online Season Pass,and in-game store for consumables"

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
    deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it gives me a gang of furry animals for 240ms points I'm happy it's not like its breaknig the bank.

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kashif1
    @Sander said:
    Yeah but a game you buy from the bargain bin has less opportunity to disappoint you because you're buying it from the bargain bin. You've already lowered your expectations.
    and why does the online store lower your expectations?  They clearly put tons of work into everything else.
    Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Twisted_Scot

Im not sure if you think this game looks good that it will disappoint you just because it has in-games stores where you can purchase optional DLC much like many games release in the last 2 years.  Im guessing you dont own or play things like Mass Effect 2, Need for speed, Burnout, Rock band, etc?. Saints Row 2 had a few pieces of DLC but I didnt purchase any of them as they were not something that interested me but I still love the game.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By kingzetta

you don't have to buy them you know.

Crixaliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Crixaliz

Consumables makes it sound like the Fable 3 online store.
    It had weird cheat potions on sale, like reviving your dog or changing its breed.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jack268
    @Sander said:
    I don't think the quality of the game is reduced by adding more content to it.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Animasta

wait, instead of hiring shandi's voice actress, they're making this in game store!? I'm so interested to find out how you knew that

Sander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Sander

They're going to try to give you a reason to purchase from the in-game store. So anything in that category that isn't in the in-game store will be gimped. So, if the in-game store has cars, planes, costumes, weapons it stands to reason they will be better, more fun etc than they stuff that isn't. Otherwise, why would you spend 120ms points for it?

Sander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sander
    @Jack268 said:
    @Sander said:
    No, the content is created regardless. But additional resources have to be diverted to create and maintain the store and for the gimped versions of the items to be created as well.
    BackseatBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BackseatBoss

In-game store for consumables really doesn't sound good.It will probably be selling things like clothes and guns that you can only get with paying real money and I know I won't be doing that.Still I will probably buy the game as soon as it comes out.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jimbo

@Jack268 said:

@Sander said:

No, it's reduced by taking content out of it to put in a store.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#22  Edited By KowalskiManDown

This is the state of games in the modern era. It ain't going away, in fact, it's going to become more prevalent whether you like it or not.

So as much as I hate to say it...

Deal with it.

elyk247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 25

#23  Edited By elyk247

I'll probably only play this a couple times with all the other games coming out, so I guess I don't care that much.

Sander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Sander

"Deal with it" is a defeatist attitude that'll hurt in the long term.  It's a dark cloud over video games and many people may begin to do the countless other things that compete for your time. Why should I have to deal with a shitty in game store when I could sit down and watch a good movie? Or play beach volleyball? Or hangout with friends, read a book or play poker?
    Think of all the gamers(most) that will buy this game not realizing they'll be nickel+dimed, locked out of content or whatever. That surprise won't easily be forgotten.

Winger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Winger

This guy has posted on several forums about getting games in the bargain bin today. 

Seriously, if you can't afford internet then you shouldn't be buying 60 dollar games anyway. 

Also if bargain bin means like 10 dollars you're going to be waiting until fucking 2014 to play this game.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Pinworm45

In game store for this? Are you fucking serious? 

@Winger said: 
    TSeriously, if you can't afford internet then you shouldn't be buying 60 dollar games anyway.
    What are you talking about?
    Soffish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Soffish

So? I really don't see why an in-game store would make you not want to buy a game.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By kingzetta

I'm buying this day one happily 
    suck it

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By neoepoch

Why has this shit suddenly become acceptable to you people? I've been reading these comments and it baffles me to how game players are willing to accept to pay for things that should ALREADY BE IN THE GAME! I may sound like an old fucker, but back in the day you never had to pay for extra costumes and weapons in the game. They were just unlocks you got while progressing through it, or stuff you were able to purchase using some type of in-game currency. The thought of actually paying sums of money for costumes and what-not is fairly revolting because it has suddenly become a crutch for developers to make another quick buck. Even map packs used to be free but now we pay 15 bucks for 3 maps? I could go online and download a bunch of custom maps with actual thought and balance put in them for free by a community who doesn't want to nickel and dime its player base.

I get that game development has gotten expensive, but developers, publishers, and console makers have done that to themselves by being overly reliant on the need for generating super duper brain exploding visual assets instead of working on interesting gameplay to carry their game. Why can't they just generate meaningful content in order to grab a fan base's support instead of putting monetary value to things that should be unlocks. I guess we can also blame EA sports games for this to a degree, for basically making it okay for people to pay their way for what are essentially cheat codes. People want a max character instantly? What ever happened to putting forth the effort to play through a game? You don't have time? Well maybe you should spend your time better instead of playing a video game...then you might have time for it.

/rant

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ShaggE
    @Winger said:
    Seriously, if you can't afford internet then you shouldn't be buying 60 dollar games anyway.
    What the hell does affording the internet have to do with an in-game store? 
    ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ThunderSlash

It sounds like by consumables they mean stuff like health items. Not really something that would affect the game's quality as a whole.

UncleClassy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By UncleClassy
    @neoepoch: God damn dude, well said! My thoughts exactly.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @neoepoch: You can complain about it all you want, but the reality is that people will pay for these things and there's not much we can do about it.
    Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Subjugation

Cool story. I still plan to enjoy it. I just won't buy anything from that in-game store. I'm not childish enough to write off the entire game due to the store.

Don't like the store? Don't use it.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Yeah, that's lame. Though I think the whole series has been bargain bin, at best. My cousin actually lost my copy of Saints Row, and normally I'd be really upset about him losing one of my games, but umm... being Saints Row... I guess I don't really care.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36  Edited By crusader8463

Well that fucking sucks.... I was going to pre-order, but hearing about them doing this crap I'm going to pass on the game until it's on a Steam sale for $5 next year. What a god dam shame they had to ruin a game by adding that crap. This was easily the game I was looking forward to more then anything going.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37  Edited By crusader8463
    @Creamypies said:

This is the state of games in the modern era. It ain't going away, in fact, it's going to become more prevalent whether you like it or not.

So as much as I hate to say it...

Deal with it.

No thanks. I will just refuse to buy games that use it. If it comes to the point that literally every game starts cutting content to nickle and dime then I'm just going to get a new hobby.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#38  Edited By Yummylee

So SR3 is going to have it's very own avatar marketplace. =/

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Origina1Penguin

That's not a very detailed source. Do you know anything else about it? I can't find anything about it on the official forums. How do you know it's not just an easy way to get clothing/item DLC to non-Steam PC players? The previous Saints Row titles have had DLC like that but the consoles have their own distribution service. All I'm saying is don't light your torches yet.

Scapegoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Scapegoat

I think you should take a step back and wait and see how the in game store and consumables fit into the game before making up your mind. 

Sander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Sander

True, though I won't be pre-ordering that's for sure. And remember that DLC and the in-game store aren't the same thing.
    Anyway we'll see- there are plenty of single player games out there that won't downgrade my experience because I'm at the cottage.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.