Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Saints Row: The Third

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 15, 2011

After turning their infamy into worldwide fame, the Third Street Saints now find themselves at war with a powerful criminal organization called The Syndicate. Strap it on.

In terms of story - did anyone else think.. (spoilers)

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By Humanity

Throughout the entire game, up until even the credits I kept thinking Johnny Gat is alive. I actually thought either earlier on or at least halfway through he would pop up and be all like hey I'm alive! Theres that scene when Viola is defecting to you and you're talking in a park, and when she mentions Johnny the homeless bum playing the sax stops playing for a sec, the camera pans and everything.

I just can't believe they killed him off like that in the beginning of the game - you literally don't even know what happens. I guess he gets shot on the plane?

Do you guys think this is DLC setup or were they really just THAT loose with the plot, cause it got pretttty loose throughout the game.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By napalm
    @Humanity said:

Theres that scene when Viola is defecting to you and you're talking in a park, and when she mentions Johnny the homeless bum playing the sax stops playing for a sec, the camera pans and everything.

Huh. I never noticed this.
    Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#3  Edited By Soap

@Napalm said:

@Humanity said:

Theres that scene when Viola is defecting to you and you're talking in a park, and when she mentions Johnny the homeless bum playing the sax stops playing for a sec, the camera pans and everything.

Me neither.

I dunno, he probably is dead, or maybe they will bring him back for DLC/ Saints Row 4

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By Humanity

@Napalm said:

@Humanity said:

Well my bad I remembered it wrong. It was a guitar player and they show his face. For some reason I remembered he was only shown neck down. ( http://youtu.be/4A3W19OSqek >>> 1:57)

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By napalm
    @Humanity said:

@Napalm said:

@Humanity said:

Well my bad I remembered it wrong. It was a guitar player and they show his face. For some reason I remembered he was only shown neck down. ( http://youtu.be/4A3W19OSqek >>> 1:57)

I mean, no shit he isn't Johnny Gat, but that could be signaling at something, regardless. Also, yeah, it was a guitar, not a saxophone.
    mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By mrcraggle

@Humanity: I was super surprised that they killed him off. I actually really liked Gat and thought he was a great character and like he says "Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Gat?"

It's kind of weird how he dies because they never properly show him dying. You see that he's stabbed in the stomach by Loren but he basically shrugs it off and goes to the cockpit to fight while you and Shaundi run to the back of the plane. I assume while fighting everyone for you and Shaundi to escape he ends up dying in the process.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Barrock

I have a feeling that if the game does well they might bring him back for the 4th.

Notice most of the celebs are gone.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By SomeDeliCook

When I got to the last mission (Gangstas in Space) and noticed Johnny was one of the homies, at first I thought "Wait wtf, did a cutscene bug out and his grand 'revival' was skipped?"

Then it turned out, nope, whole mission was just a fake.

Then you unlocked zombie johnny as a homie for beating the game. Thats when I finally realized that, yeah, he doesnt have a comeback in the story. Really lame

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Andorski

@mrcraggle: Right before Shaundi and your character fall out of the plane, Shaundi talks to Gat on the intercom. He's in the middle of telling her something when all of a sudden you hear a shots fired. Shaundi just says "Johnny... ?" before she falls out of the plane.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By mrcraggle

@Andorski: I completely forgot about that. In my mind I probably thought it was Gat doing the shooting.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By donchipotle

There was also the part right after you arrive in Steelport where Philippe tells you that Gat is dead.

wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By wunder_

I was honestly quite surprised Gat didn't just appear near the end or near the end of the Loren storyline as a sort of "Fuck You" to Philippe and stuff, but I guess Saint's Row has killed off characters before so it's not that big of a surprise. He was much more likeable than Aisha though. :|

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

My guess and hope is that he is still alive and being cloned, like Oleg and hence the name of one of the DLC packs.
    They cloned his ass, send that body to the saints, meanwhile they used the real Gat for cloning.

I mean, sure, brutes...but Gat was quite the opponent, someone like Phillipe should have seen his value...
    But then again, Kiki and Viola were present, they would have known if he was still alive or being cloned, I take it, them being his right (and left) hand and all.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By Xeiphyer

I was in the same boat, I thought it was impossible for them to kill off one of (In my opinion *THE*) best characters in the series in such an unceremonious fashion. He gets no death scene, and dies in the second mission of the game in a completely lame and unnecessary way. He didn't need to stay, or fly the plane, he could have just bailed with everyone else. Hell, he doesn't even kill the badguy or anything.

And then he doesn't even get a funeral scene? Apparently some dumb bitch cutting a ribbon on a bridge is his funeral? I didn't even realize it was anything until Shaundi gets upset at the luchadores "Ruining Johnny's funeral". And then that's it for one of the most important characters in the series? A few boohoo's and a "That's for you Johnny!"s thrown in and they never address it further. 

I played the entire game waiting for him to show up again and be a badass, right up until the end of the game. Then I thought "Well fine, those fuckers are saving that for DLC or the 4th game I guess", and then bam "Zombie Gat homie unlocked!". That's such a fucking slap in the face. 

I really want to hear the story behind this, did the Voice Actor not want to do the character anymore? Why did they do it so poorly?! 

Also, has anyone else been able to call in the zombie gat homie more than once? I did it one time and its been greyed out for me ever since.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.