Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Saints Row: The Third

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 15, 2011

After turning their infamy into worldwide fame, the Third Street Saints now find themselves at war with a powerful criminal organization called The Syndicate. Strap it on.

Is SR2 worth getting after playing SR3?

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By BonOrbitz

(I posted this in the Saints Row 2 forums, but I get the impression nobody visits those anymore.)

I LOVE Saints Row: The Third. I really love the game. Before it came out, I didn't even bat an eye at SR1 or 2 based on sheer ignorance and the perception that it was a substandard GTA clone. Boy, do I feel like an idiot.

As I near the end of SR3, I'm considering picking up SR2. Finishing the game will be so bittersweet for me and I want to experience to continue, so how does SR2 compare to The Third? Is it as crazy silly? Is it lacking anything that SR3 has? Or should I just mosey onto something else like Just Cause 2?

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By peacebrother

It's not as crazy silly. It has crazy silly moments, but it's not so pervasive like SR3. If you enjoyed the gameplay itself in SR3, you should check out 2, as it's pretty much the same, just dialed back.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Deranged

if you really need another game to play, but I went back and played SR2 and disliked it a lot. The mechanics are extremely clunky, the character creation is boring and the voice acting leaves more to be desired.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By Yummylee

Hard to say. Saints Row 2 is a much bigger than The Third I think, with dozens upon dozens of stuff to do. Secrets and shit are everywhere in this game. The city is much more vibrant and full of life (and features the likes of Nolan North voicing like 80% of the Stilwater Denizens, with Fred Tatasciore voicing the other 20), but SR2 plays kinda crappy in comparison to SR3--pure open-world jank on display here across every facet. The story takes itself a wee bit more seriously than you'd expect as well, actually operating within a flimsy sense of realism about gang warfare and the like; don't expect zombies or diving out of planes or anything like that.

That's not to say the story's bad, and I personally think it's much better than The Third, but for a lot of people who loved The Third's storyline for its absurdity and sheer randomness, SR2's probably will disappoint if you're expecting more of the same.

Mikewrestler5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Mikewrestler5

Yes. It's better than SR 3.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By fox01313

Saints Row 1 & 2 had a few odd moments here & there, with breaking the silent protagonist in #1 at a good spot in the game & #2 with some of the wacky side activities but that's it. SR2 is a good game with with descent music & some funny bits but it's nowhere near off the wall crazy as SR3.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BonOrbitz

@fox01313 said:

Saints Row 1 & 2 had a few odd moments here & there, with breaking the silent protagonist in #1 at a good spot in the game & #2 with some of the wacky side activities but that's it. SR2 is a good game with with descent music & some funny bits but it's nowhere near off the wall crazy as SR3.

That's disappointing to me because I love how crazy SR3 is. I love how colorful, messed up, and unpredictable the world is. Still, I'm sold. I'll be picking up SR2 from Steam one of these days...

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@bonorbitz said:

(I posted this in the Saints Row 2 forums, but I get the impression nobody visits those anymore.)

I LOVE Saints Row: The Third. I really love the game. Before it came out, I didn't even bat an eye at SR1 or 2 based on sheer ignorance and the perception that it was a substandard GTA clone. Boy, do I feel like an idiot.

As I near the end of SR3, I'm considering picking up SR2. Finishing the game will be so bittersweet for me and I want to experience to continue, so how does SR2 compare to The Third? Is it as crazy silly? Is it lacking anything that SR3 has? Or should I just mosey onto something else like Just Cause 2?

I'm glad to hear that you're gonna get SR2, it's a better game than SR3 in a lot of ways and it has a much more meaningful story IMO (gotta find the secret last mission!), better characters, and a better city. Plus, it's way, way bigger. If you do play it (since it sounds like you're gonna be getting it on the PC) get the Gentlemen of the Row mod megapack, it adds a ton of stuff to the game that should have been there already and makes it crazier.

http://idolninja.com/sr2.php

Plus, the character customization stuff is way, way better.

Really, combat is better in SR3 and there's more crazy set-piece memorable missions, but I think SR2 is a better game overall (that I bought on two platforms) and have logged in about 350 hours in thanks to Gentlemen of the Row.

Get it!

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BonOrbitz

@InfamousBIG: Thank you so much! I love modding PC games and appreciate the hook-up. I'm really looking forward to playing SR2 now, and anything that makes it crazier can only-

WHAT? 350 HOURS?!
    WHAT? 350 HOURS?!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.