Local co-op confirmed by IGN?

#1 Posted by BadNews (556 posts) -

Not sure if they accidentally meant system link but when asked if online or local they said yes both online and local. Can we get confirmation? Do you believe if this is a misunderstanding?

It's at 7:12 on the ign interview.

#2 Posted by Kyle (2325 posts) -

@BadNews: I don't think so because in this interviewhe only says online co-op and system link. The game is only five months away at this point, so if there was going to be local it would already be confirmed.

#3 Posted by rmanthorp (4045 posts) -

Yeah I think local means system link these days.

#4 Posted by buft (3321 posts) -

i could theoretically use system link but why would i, both consoles are connected to the same router and online play is a lot simpler to set up. still need 2 copies and thats the worst part. 

#5 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2699 posts) -

Local coop in an open world game sounds horrible. Ew.

#6 Posted by Generiko (445 posts) -
@Rolyatkcinmai: In GTA:San Andreas it was pretty fun
#7 Posted by believer258 (12099 posts) -

Aw, poo. 

I always take "local" to mean "split-screen" when talking about video games. 

Anyway, I still need to play through Saints Row 2. It's on my to do list, damn it! I'm trying to run through Red Faction Guerilla first, though.

#8 Posted by Sogeman (874 posts) -

They already said it only has online and system link.

#9 Edited by ShockD (2431 posts) -

That would be great. I totally loved the co-op in SR 2.  

But... They probably won't add.
#10 Posted by sirdesmond (1256 posts) -

Split-screen co-op would be a blast in a stupid, fun, and over-the-top game like this. There's about a 99% chance it will never happen though.

Also, how many people really use the System Link function in an environment in which they couldn't just as easily be playing "online" in the same environment? It seems odd that they keep supporting that technology but not split-screen which makes far more sense (at least to me). Obviously, I can think of a specific situation or two where system link would be nice but it just doesn't seem all that common.

#11 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3503 posts) -

Sandbox games are usually too taxing on consoles for local co-op from what I've heard. I hope in SR3rd they fixed the issue of player 1 seeing objects that didn't exist on player 2's screen.

#12 Posted by Teran (877 posts) -
@buft said:
i could theoretically use system link but why would i, both consoles are connected to the same router and online play is a lot simpler to set up. still need 2 copies and thats the worst part. 
People have their reasons.  I don't believe you can play online without a gold subscription so system linking would allow you to play without upgrading the xbl account.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.