Saints Row The Third will have about 40 weeks of DLC

#1 Posted by Metal_Mills (3001 posts) -

Already, THQ is thinking about such digital revenue streams for its top games. Saints Row the Third, a major THQ crime game world debuting on Nov. 15, will be accompanied by about 40 weeks worth of downloadable digital content after the launch.

“We totally change how we keep consumer engaged for a very long time,” Farrell said. “We intend to create an online digital ecosystem that keeps them interested for a year or more.”

http://venturebeat.com/2011/09/08/thqs-farrell-on-how-the-cloud-will-change-the-video-game-business/

That's pretty crazy. If they start cutting tons of stuff out and then charge money for it that's pretty despicable.

#2 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

Not gonna lie but the stupidity in that statement kinda matches the stupidity of the game, with that said, it's probably a bunch of skins and weapon bullshit.

#3 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

that's a lot of weeks

#4 Posted by SMTDante89 (2582 posts) -

Yeah, I'm guessing clothing items and the like will be a majority of the DLC.

#5 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -

Yeah, since they are making co-op DLC, this isn't surprising.  

#6 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3757 posts) -
@Metal_Mills said:   

That's pretty crazy. If they start cutting tons of stuff out and then charge money for it that's pretty despicable.

Are developers really going to have to go through this shit every time they talk about DLC?  Granted that some DLC is complete BS, but when it comes to this subject, why is every developer guilty until proven innocent?
#7 Posted by zaglis (910 posts) -

YES, MY BUTT IS READY FOR CUT CONTENT, THQ

#8 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

@Arker101 said:

Wow, really? DoW2: Retribution's ridiculous assortment of skins and online weapons were just a warm-up then. Doesn't bode well.

#9 Posted by SSully (4199 posts) -

Couldnt they have just said 9 months? Or are they just using 40 weeks to sound like there is more content?

See above to make the content sound even bigger

#10 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@Arker101 said:
They already said that's not true
#11 Edited by Arker101 (1474 posts) -
@ervonymous:  
There's a thread in this forum about it being a rumor. 
@kingzetta:  
Can you link me the confirmation? This makes 40 weeks of DLC not as bad, then.
#12 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

Here comes the uncensored DLC! TITIES

#13 Edited by ProfessorEss (7401 posts) -
@Yanngc33 said:

TITIES

40 weeks of titties is a lot of titties. 

May I also add... 

I'D BUY THAT FER A DOLLAR!!
#14 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@Arker101 said:
@ervonymous:    http://www.giantbomb.com/saints-row-the-third/61-25725/rumoured-dlc-list-for-sr3-co-op-now-dlc-and-5000-other-things/35-510911/#29   It's still a rumor, but if they are really trying to sell one of the biggest things about that game as day 1 DLC, that would really miff me.
They already came out and said that list is 100% fake
#15 Posted by Metal_Mills (3001 posts) -
@SpaceInsomniac said:
@Metal_Mills said:   

Are developers really going to have to go through this shit every time they talk about DLC?  Granted that some DLC is complete BS, but when it comes to this subject, why is every developer guilty until proven innocent?
When they start pumping out 40 weeks of DLC right from launch? Yeah, they do.
#16 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

Well yeah, if they intend to introduce meaningful extra content I'm all for it. I just fear they're out to nickel and dime you to death with single weapon unlocks à la Just Cause 2, but we'll see soon enough.

#17 Edited by SpaceInsomniac (3757 posts) -
@Metal_Mills said:

@SpaceInsomniac said:

@Metal_Mills said:   

When they start pumping out 40 weeks of DLC right from launch? Yeah, they do.
40 Weeks of DLC just means that they have plans to release DLC for as long as nine months after the game has been released.  Wouldn't 40 weeks of DLC actually be LESS of a reason to be upset than a company who promised 2 weeks worth of DLC?  Now THAT would mean that it almost certainly mean that the DLC was developed alongside the game itself. 

And let me use Call of Duty to make a point.  Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare shipped with 16 maps on disc.  Modern Warfare 2 shipped with 16 maps on disc.  Modern Warfare 3 will ship with 16 maps on disc, and it has been announced that it will be getting 20 pieces of DLC content.   

Now, no matter how disagreeable or despicable you find the idea of paying for new multiplayer maps--when just several years ago all add-on maps were free and made by fans, often using the same tools that the developers used in the first place--nothing has changed.  If it wasn't for DLC, it's not like MW3 would ship with 36 maps on disc (and yes, I'm aware not all of the MW3 DLC will be maps this time around). 

DLC often uses a different budget and different development cycle than the main game.  I'm fine with hating DLC on a piece by piece basis, but it's just ridiculous to slam a company for their DLC when the specifics haven't been explained, and when no one outside the company really knows what was and wasn't ever planed to be part of the main game.
#18 Posted by DH69 (61 posts) -

I'll pay an additional $20 just for a uncensored dlc patch on day one, cause i can't stand censorship.

#19 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5834 posts) -

I don't even know what that means

#20 Posted by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

@SSully: I can't wait for 2.4190000000 seconds of DLC!!!

#21 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3501 posts) -
@Still_I_Cry said:

@SSully: I can't wait for 2.4190000000 seconds of DLC!!!

That's not how multiplying by 10 to the seventh power works.
#22 Posted by Still_I_Cry (2494 posts) -

@Origina1Penguin: 21490000

My bad.

#23 Posted by emergency (1193 posts) -

This makes waiting a year for a GOTY edition or sale on all DLC seem like a spiffing idea if you have the patience

#24 Posted by Jimi (1126 posts) -

Seems fitting, the game is a huge troll anyway. After the latest MW3 / BF3 I think these guys have mastered the art of giving no fucks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.