Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Saints Row: The Third

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 15, 2011

After turning their infamy into worldwide fame, the Third Street Saints now find themselves at war with a powerful criminal organization called The Syndicate. Strap it on.

So what's so awesome about SR3?

• 62 results
    paparoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Heard so much about this game on the bombcast that I finally decided to give it a try, in anticipation for GTA5. I played up until the mission that you free that big naked russian guy, and I have to say that I am profoundly disappointed.

First of all, the graphics suck and the framerate is bad (I am playing on PS3). Second, all the missions thus far have been really boring, and most of them seem like they are setting up side activities. If that's the case, I hope this stops soon. Third, I fail to see the "dumb", the outrageous, the "they went all out" that the GB guys have been talking about. It's all pretty standard gangster stuff, and all the characters are bland as hell.

It doesn't help that I am not fond of the gameplay either. Enemies take to many bullets to kill, are all basically the same male and female clones and the weapons suck. And the sound design for the car engines and ambient sounds is abysmal. My guy's voice (I chose the british guy is really not that great for me, either.

So, please tell me that there will be better stuff coming up, cuz I really plan on finishing the game (it's free on PS+), but if it doesn't get any better I might be burned out. For the record, I loved GTA4 and Sleeping Dogs is probably one of my favorite games of all time.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

People like the goofyness of it.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Keep playing.

Avatar image for lapsariangiraff
    lapsariangiraff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I can't really convince you otherwise about the core gameplay, but I can say this: It gets goofier. Far, FAR goofier. As the game progresses the combat itself becomes less and less important as you get better weapons, health, etc. It's worth seeing through to the end.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

The writing is the best part. The rest is ok.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Keep playing. You haven't seen the good stuff yet.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By GunslingerPanda

A lot of people love it. I'm not into it at all despite loving SR1. People like different things, hey ho!

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Expectations is the key here. When I first played it two years, I went in with hardly any expectations and was pleasantly surprised. When you go in expecting the best more than often you'll be let down. Really though, sometimes games just don't click with people and that's okay. The reason why I like it is because of the writing, tone, and sheer goofiness.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't teach you to be cool, man.

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the all the hype set up by Jeff and the others causes unrealistic expectations to people that haven't played it and at this point makes is hard for the game to live up to all that's been said about it. It is crazy, extremely over the top, the humor hits more than it misses, the game play is fine but its definitely not the draw, I found the characters great and absurd. It gets better the more you get into it but chances are if your not into it now you wont be later even though it gets way crazier.

I played it on the PC around the time of release so I didn't see any frame rate problems and it looked pretty damn good at max settings. I don't recall any of the bad sounds with the cars and stuff that you mentioned I thought the sound design was fine.

I suggest you stick with it, it's definitely worth finishing. The game play gets more enjoyable the more abilities and specs you unlock and the story gets so crazy its hard not to enjoy it. I haven't tried to go back and play it yet but I imagine the beginning can be a bit of a slog to get through but yes, the missions that introduce the side quest show up once and the "real game' gets moving soon after.

It's a great game, at least when I played it, its not perfect but I think its worth playing through.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Clonedzero

Its the humor, and it is pretty damn funny. The gameplay however is extremely generic and bland. Verging on bad at times honestly. The humor makes up for it, but it is overpraised here on GB. Still worth playing though.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Slaegar

Well the graphics and framerate are bad on all the console versions. The 360 version has even more problems. Its really a game that shines on the PC and looks pretty nice (even has directx 11 support). Even on the PC it demands a lot of power. My HD 7850 can't run it on max without the framerate dying.

The fun part about the game is that it plays better than GTA4 (which was a mess) and makes fun of the story of those games. Even though its silly things like the Power mission make you feel like a bad ass even while its very goofy.

Also this

No Caption Provided

RainbowCarnage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can wear women's' lingerie.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I thought it was bad. Others find it zany.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dildo jokes or something IDK.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If you have to ask then this game is not for you, sir.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Sounds like you were a victim of the hype train, homie. I spent a lot of time with the SR series and I loved 3, but you can't go in there with crazy expectations. At the end of the day, it's an open-world game with a lot of charm.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By lego_my_eggo

The humor is what it does great, everything else is basically good enough and nothing amazing. So if you don't find its style of humor to be funny yet, then everything else the game has to offer will just be "meh" for you.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People who open with "First of all, the graphics suck" generally don't have much to offer by way of an opinion.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

How do you not find the story kinda crazy and silly?

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korwin said:

People who open with "First of all, the graphics suck" generally don't have much to offer by way of an opinion.

Particularly when playing on the ugliest version.

This Halo for the Atari 2600 looks like shit

Nitrocore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the Giant bomb crew liked it a little too much, I wanted to like it, but I just couldn't see what all the hype was about.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#26  Edited By Humanity

@paparoach: Not everyone will like everything. I do think they overhyped it a bit but underneath all the talk I found the gameplay to be really fun. It was the GTA4 that I wanted when I instead got a too-serious mess with an awful story and bad driving physics. Some people love GTA4, so who knows.

If it's not going to click with you in the next couple of missions I say just don't bother, it's probably not your thing, and that is totally ok.

Avatar image for boom_goes_the_dynamite
    Boom_goes_the_dynamite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like there is a new topic every month with someone asking to be convinced why Saint's Row the Third is good.

I enjoyed almost everything with the game, sure the side missions got old after the second or third time playing them, but the highs of the game greatly out weighed the lows. Including the writing, and off the wall craziness that so many games today lack due to the desire for realism and grittiness. So I guess part of my love for the game comes from the fact that it came out at the perfect time to help buck a trend, for me at least, and it played well on top of it all.

But you know...opinions? Those might be the answer for why you think one thing and others think another.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Standard gangster stuff? What kind of stuff do think gangs get up to out there?

But yeah, SR3 was my GOTY that year. Just a game all about fun and was pretty much exactly the humor/style I wanted. Some people don't aren't going to love it. It happens.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I don't expect someone with the username "paparoach" to really get Saints Row.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I don't understand these threads. You don't like the game and that's fine, you don't need anyone to convince you to start liking it because you've clearly made up your mind.

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

standard gangster stuff? really?

gogosox82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By gogosox82

Because opinions that's why. And "standard gangster stuff"? lol there is nothing in the game that is "standard gangster stuff" other than the shooting and driving cars around. I think that's why some don't like it and why others love it. I thought it was good but its definitely over hyped by GB. Its a good game that is fun to play. Not amazing, or crazy, or pushed to 11 or anything like that. Just a solid, fun experience.

Scotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redroach said:

standard gangster stuff? really?

Yeah, seriously. Even the side activities aren't "standard gangster stuff" by a country mile. You know, typical banger shit like riding in a car with a tiger you have to keep happy, or driving a flaming 4x4, haha.

If the story feels like a series of side missions, that's probably because you're going through the one early part of the story that the GB guys criticized - which is the part where it makes you try all of the side activities once. Once you've finished that gauntlet, it goes back to being crazy again. And even then, the story setups for why you need to do some of those activities is pretty funny.

The action is just typical GTA-style action, though I don't get this idea of guys taking too long to kill. 2-3 shots will kills most people, 1 if you get them in the head. The STAG guys are a bit more resilient, but by then you should have upgraded your weapons anyway. The cars are way more fun to drive than in GTA.

At the end of the day, the insane story is what makes SR3 great. So many memorable missions, and hilarious song choices at just the right times. Killbane references the "Montreal Screwjob", for fucks sake. The voice acting is top-notch, too. You either get the humour, or you don't.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

If at this point you haven't started to enjoy the game, then just drop it. There are good parts of that game, but on the whole it's not a particularly good game for many of the reasons you stated. It's especially not a good game if the humor doesn't appeal to you (I need some clever with my stupid and goofy, sorry).

Also, how is rescuing a giant naked Russian guy "standard gangster stuff"?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#36  Edited By Justin258

If at this point you haven't started to enjoy the game, then just drop it. There are good parts of that game, but on the whole it's not a particularly good game for many of the reasons you stated. It's especially not a good game if the humor doesn't appeal to you (I need some clever with my stupid and goofy, sorry).

Scotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But yeah, SR3 was my GOTY that year. Just a game all about fun and was pretty much exactly the humor/style I wanted. Some people don't aren't going to love it. It happens.

I think Skyrim was still technically my favourite game of that year, but I was so happy to see Jeff go to bat for SR3 in the GOTY talks. And frankly, I think Brad/Patrick made a really lame case for Skyim, that dismissed anything wrong with it because of the game's scope and ambition.

SR3 was a close second for me. So many hilarious moments, and great writing. I can't fucking wait for SR4 in August. They look poised to do it again, based on what I've seen. Going to do the smart thing, and go PC-first this time. Framerate was definitely sketchy on consoles, for SR3. Game looks and runs great on PC.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#38  Edited By ThePickle

It can be kind of hard to quantify. Just stick with it. I've got 70 hours on my first character and am 6-7 hours into a second playthrough.

Murdoc_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you have technical issues with the game, play it on PC.

But other than that, if you're not catching what it's throwing, save your time and give up. I thought it was amazing from the get go, so apples and oranges.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In one of the first few missions in the game you drop you partner thousands of feet up in the air, fly through an airplane window, impossibly take out a gang leader while traversing this currently flying airplane, and then freefall and catch up to the partner that you dropped. If that's standard gangster shit, then you have some sweet ass gangsters in your town.

If this isn't flamebait and a legit thread, just stop playing. If you don't get it yet and actually think all those things that you've been saying then you're just not going to like it. Chances are you're playing it because it's free on PS+, so there's probably nothing stopping you from just not playing it anymore.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dildos and stuff xD and theirs a autotuned guy rofl

Scotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@49th said:

dildos and stuff xD and theirs a autotuned guy rofl

Assuming this is sarcastic, it misses the mark by a wide margin, as to what a lot of people find hilarious about the game.

The dildo bat is way down the list, for one. Do you really think a dildo in a game is what made Jeff say "oh wow, game of the year"?

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

Not only that, but fighting along side a naked Russian dude, in a sci-fi compound. ahah

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#44  Edited By Yummylee

I enjoyed SRTT for its writing and a select few missions later in the game. Otherwise it was primarily a weaker SR2 for me, and was ridiculously overhyped by the staff.

Though with all you've said, I wouldn't recommend you give either of the older SR games a try instead.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

For me all the awesome went away after I played it through once(well, I restarted last mission to get the different endings) the writing was funny and a few of the missions were alright. Now that was before all the Giant Bomb hype was even a thing but it was a fun time playing through it and doing most of the side stuff as well.

Also, Burt Fucking Reynolds

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know what to tell you. I played it after hearing the guys on the Bombcast rave about it and thought it was beyond awesome. Keep playing though. the craziness keeps going up especially after you free the pimp.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

A handful of the main story missions make the game worth playing, everything else I didn't care for.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't a big fan. There was definitely some great moments in the game, but it was way too much of a slog otherwise to really enjoy.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I don't know why everyone's shitting on the gameplay, it's so much better than most of it's contemporaries (sleeping dogs does combat better, but...).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.