Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Salt and Sanctuary

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Mar 15, 2016

Side-scrolling 2D action RPG about a sailor shipwrecked on a mysterious island.

Finally out

violet_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

this game looked cool, anyone play it? Thoughts?

UnInvincible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought it last night and told myself I'd just play for a few minutes to see how I liked it. Ended up playing for like more than two hours, not going to bed until after 2am. So it's good. Fans of the Souls games should love it, but it's definitely got a lot of its own stuff going on. I really appreciate how visceral the combat is, hitting the weaker enemies with a good hit just fucks them up.

betterley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uninvincible:

O my, I can't wait to get home and try it tonight.

This game has me way more excited than I expected

Bummlmitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too bad, neither the PC nor the Vita version is out today. I hope they don't wait too long before releasing those. Otherwise they'll probably get stomped by Dark Souls 3.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By maginnovision

I don't know, its taking ALOT from dark souls which I love but it's still not getting me. Watched some streams yesterday and just decided to proceed ds3 on steam. For me it just looks too simple and ALOT of the exploration aspect gets lost when going to 2d. Not like I have time to play it anyway, so maybe I'm just convincing myself I wouldn't like it.

mathj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

considering what ive been hearing about it, very excited to play it, bought it seeing nothing of what it is, so im stoked.

fightingfalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bummlmitz: I'm guessing there isn't a set release date for the PC or Vita versions then?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@fightingfalco: I haven't heard anything, I'm guessing it'll be at least a few months for the PC version, though.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@maginnovision: The exploration aspect is still very strong in the game, there are issues with 2D mostly related to backtracking by necessity (like it's practically impossible to replicate DS1's compact vastness without three dimensions), but in general the game is incredibly immersive, not to mention challenging.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone know anything about the date for the PC release? This game looks pretty cool, but temporary exclusivity still not enough to get me to get a PS4.

Avatar image for deactivated-58670791014d2
    deactivated-58670791014d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I am a huge Dark Souls fan and I am loving this, I played it for 2 hours this morning only stopped because I had to go to work and man I can't wait to get off to play it again, I rarely think about video games that I am playing at work but can't get this off my mind.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

6 hours in and I love it. The first hour, it took some experimentation to find a playstyle I liked. I was home sick yesterday and planned to start The Division. But nope, 4 hours in this and I can't wait to play more.

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Jeez, apparently the developers just ran the entire text of the game through google translate, at least for the German version. The result is ... absolutely hilarious.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red Hall of Cages made me so mad I wished for the breakdown of a marriage of a couple I never met. I've never felt such relief as finding that shrine near the boss. 18 hours man, Jesus. At this rate I'll finish my first playthrough at the 30 hour mark.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

Am I enjoying this game? Yes, as progressing gives me the same sort of satisfaction of overcoming insane odds as the Souls games do. At the same time, this has got to be one of THE most fucked games I've ever played. It's giving me way, way more trouble than any of the Souls games have early on. It's certainly more frustrating, and only time will tell if that frustration is worth constantly suffering through to push further. I think it's much harder to get a grasp on the gameplay. For as solid as the gameplay generally is, I also think some of the mechanics don't actually work quite as well as they were intended, adding to the difficulty.

The ass-raping difficulty aside, I do think this is a very well-made game that wears its inspirations on not only its sleeve, but every other part of it as well.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@shindig: I've meandered for like 4 hours and I'm still sub 15 or so, well past that. YMMV on length apparently. I still have a shitload of deaths of course, since the game has pseudo hard platforming (like the jumps themselves are simple but their presence in a souls game isn't) elements and those are the ultimate way to get cheap deaths into your game. ~80 deaths to falling so far? I think the old record was like 40, granted deaths have much less impact and meaning than they do in a main Souls game so it's all pretty immaterial.

There's at least a few enemies that are just badly designed, and others that just don't work in a 2D context. No bad bosses so far though, hopefully they can keep that up (5-6 bosses left at least according to the trophy list).

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Shindig

Teleporting skeletons can do one. Also found out that the electric witches attack range is misleading. I'm all about trying to manage agro and range at the minute with this greatsword. As soon as this next boss is done, I'm pegging back to the sanctuary.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.