Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Samurai Shodown

Franchise »

Known as Samurai Spirits in Japan, Samurai Shodown is an SNK fighting game.

New Samurai Shodown & Anime Due In 2017

Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Skinky

According to Hadoken.net via two independent sources, SNK are bringing back the Samurai Shodown series to current platforms, alongside the release of a new Anime series.

The last game in the Sam Sho series was 2009's Edge of Destiny on Xbox 360, a 3D fighting game which wasn't great. This new rumoured game is said to be going back to it's roots in the 2D style, and is part of SNKs wider efforts to ramp up it's software production. While the animation aims to attract new potential markets, namely China, from where heavy investment in the company has already been forthcoming.

Is this the second coming of SNK? Looks like it.

Ippon!

Via Gematsu

http://gematsu.com/2016/02/rumor-new-samurai-shodown-due-out-2017

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

Oh heck yeah!!!

I'm feeling a little more optimistic for a new Samurai Shodown animated series than I usually do with these tie-ins. I used to read the Samurai Shodown comic books, and I kinda liked the story as a kid.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember really liking samurai showdown but never playing much because it cost more quarters than street fighter 2 and other fighting games.

Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There hasn't been a decent game in the series for a long time now, so it's imperative they hit the spot with all that made the series great and distinct, from SF. A blend of II and IV would be a good foundation.

Excited by the prospect of an animation, could be huge if done well.

I'd also like to see more of their classic titles on Android/IOS as part of this new output strategy. Currently only Metal Slug, Kof 97, Kof 98, MOTW, Samurai Shodown 2 and FF:S are available, there needs to be more.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

Sure why not..... I mean it's really a series that's nostalgic for part 2 and then 4 other games that fans forgot. At this point, making a good fighting game today can be done well compared to that awkward 1998-2008 period where 2d graphics were just too expensive too produce and 3d weight was still babysteps..... ugh, just had a mental image of the floaty jumps of Rival Schools there for a second.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.