The secert to a great Club Sandwich

Posted by sociald1077 (263 posts) -

No one can deny the great-factor of a really good club sandwich. Be it basic with just lettuce, tomatoes, turkey and bacon, or decadent  by adding ham, cheese, cucumber, dressing and a fried egg, they are about the most delicious sandwiches one can have. But the thing that really holds it all together is the bacon. Now I know that it is cliche here on the internet to put bacon up as the end-all be-all of food, but in this sandwich, it really is the glue that holds it together, much the same way it can make or break a B.L.T.

The bacon must be cooked correctly to really bring out the rest of the club. It can not remain too gummy by not rendering enough fat out, but it can not be so crisp that it shatters on the palate. That perfect bacon crisp is the hardest part to achieve, and the most important. Nothing ruins an awesome club like un-rendered bacon fat. A properly cured bacon is also necessary. One that is not overly salty and brings with it a slight sweetness really goes well with the other meats and fixings in the sandwich. 

Well now I hope that I have instilled a little hunger in you to go out and experiment with this wonderful sandwich. Feel free to put up your favorite combination of club for others as well!
#1 Posted by sociald1077 (263 posts) -

No one can deny the great-factor of a really good club sandwich. Be it basic with just lettuce, tomatoes, turkey and bacon, or decadent  by adding ham, cheese, cucumber, dressing and a fried egg, they are about the most delicious sandwiches one can have. But the thing that really holds it all together is the bacon. Now I know that it is cliche here on the internet to put bacon up as the end-all be-all of food, but in this sandwich, it really is the glue that holds it together, much the same way it can make or break a B.L.T.

The bacon must be cooked correctly to really bring out the rest of the club. It can not remain too gummy by not rendering enough fat out, but it can not be so crisp that it shatters on the palate. That perfect bacon crisp is the hardest part to achieve, and the most important. Nothing ruins an awesome club like un-rendered bacon fat. A properly cured bacon is also necessary. One that is not overly salty and brings with it a slight sweetness really goes well with the other meats and fixings in the sandwich. 

Well now I hope that I have instilled a little hunger in you to go out and experiment with this wonderful sandwich. Feel free to put up your favorite combination of club for others as well!
#2 Posted by supermike6 (3645 posts) -

It's midnight and now I'm hungry. 

Thanks.

#3 Posted by ajamafalous (12165 posts) -

It's 2 a.m. and you just made me hungry. Where am I supposed to go get food? 

Anyway, I don't think I've ever had a club sandwich. Almost half the things you mentioned I don't like on sandwiches.

#4 Posted by Tearhead (2218 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:
" Anyway, I don't think I've ever had a club sandwich. Almost half the things you mentioned I don't like on sandwiches. "
Get the FUCK out! 

Also, I think I'm gonna have a club sandwich fro lunch tomorrow. Thanks.
#5 Posted by ajamafalous (12165 posts) -
@Tearhead said:
" @ajamafalous said:
" Anyway, I don't think I've ever had a club sandwich. Almost half the things you mentioned I don't like on sandwiches. "
Get the FUCK out! "
:(
#6 Edited by jorojoserojas (259 posts) -

"I order a club sandwich all the time, and I'm not even a member, man!" 

#7 Posted by sociald1077 (263 posts) -
@supermike6:  Can't say that wasn't my intent :D Though I did forget its the middle of the night in the states.
#8 Posted by supermike6 (3645 posts) -
@sociald1077 said:
" @supermike6:  Can't say that wasn't my intent :D Though I did forget its the middle of the night in the states. "
Don't forget Canada! 
#9 Posted by sociald1077 (263 posts) -
@supermike6 said:
" @sociald1077 said:
" @supermike6:  Can't say that wasn't my intent :D Though I did forget its the middle of the night in the states. "
Don't forget Canada!  "
You know, Canada has some decent beer. Might go good with a Club!
#10 Posted by JJWeatherman (14573 posts) -

That bacon strip is marvelous.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.