I guess Giantbomb isn't reviewing this?

#1 Posted by Hammerjelly (221 posts) -

Kind of disappointing that despite being released on PSN/XBLA weeks apart this game still hasn't gotten any kind of official GB review. Although the QL for this was pretty bullshit and Jeff didn't seem to really care about this game at all. Brad didn't even get to play, and it seemed like he wanted to. I'm sure the review would have been 2/3 stars, but I'm just surprised they didn't do it at all. Its not a long game!

I don't really care, I am having a great time w/ the game, its just curious that it got left out.

#2 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

Not to mention that the game is ridiculously fun. I figure the QL is good enough, they don't really need to review it.

#3 Posted by SniperXan (223 posts) -

The Quick look was surprisingly negative I really don't think I want a review. 

#4 Posted by Sparklykiss (1983 posts) -
@SpikeSpiegel said:
" Not to mention that the game is ridiculously fun. I figure the QL is good enough, they don't really need to review it. "
@SniperXan said:
" The Quick look was surprisingly negative I really don't think I want a review.  "
These statements pretty much sum it up. A few of the user reviews *cough* weren't so bad. I don't think I'd want to read a review by the staff after that super negative and biased QL.
#5 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5364 posts) -

They don't have to review every game they quicklook.

#6 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

The QL gave a pretty good indication of what a review probably would've been like, but then again, Quick Looks have been deceptive (the one for Darksiders definitely made the game seem like a 2 or 3 star review, but then it was given 4, for example).

I'm okay with no review. Most of the people who were interested have probably already made up their minds about the game anyways.

#7 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -

Based on the comments it like you'd only want a review if it's favourable, so is there a point in them reviewing it, when it seems you'd instantly dismiss it.

#8 Posted by Interfect (981 posts) -
@SethPhotopoulos said:
" They don't have to review every game they quicklook. "
Like Aero Racer. That QL definitely shows you what you want to know about the game. But yes you are right.
#9 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@Sparklykiss: Eh, I try not to be like that when it comes to different tastes. I don't wanna turn into one of those retards who saw the 3/5 for BlazBlue and then bitched at the 3/5 review for King Of Fighters XII. Jeff might not be too hot on it, but he doesn't seem to think it's bad, per se. Some of the stylistic choices and homages to older games might rub him the wrong way, but I don't think it'd be enough to give the game a negative score, y'know? If he wants to dislike it for those choice, that's his prerogative. I wouldn't agree with him, but then again, reviews aren't meant to be objective analysis of videogames. They are meant to opinions based on taste.
#10 Posted by jkz (4049 posts) -
@Ineedaname said:
" Based on the comments it like you'd only want a review if it's favourable, so is there a point in them reviewing it, when it seems you'd instantly dismiss it. "
This, a thousand times this.
#11 Posted by Sparklykiss (1983 posts) -
@Napalm: That's true. I guess I was just being a bit too butthurt for a game I really enjoyed. >.<;; I dunno, I just find it to be a bit annoying when I see an extreme bias for something being all thrown in my face. I tend to get a little wound up in my own fandom. If he had been showing a ton of love for that game and all the references, this thread wouldn't exist and a "I hate Scott Pilgrim, that game needs to die, it's for hipsters" thread would be here instead, I guess. 

I am the worst critic. :D
#12 Posted by Milkman (17179 posts) -
@Hammerjelly said:
"  Jeff didn't seem to really care about this game at all.
That's why it didn't get reviewed.
#13 Posted by Damien (1384 posts) -

I always wonder why people who have already bought and played through a game want a review.  What's the payoff for you?

#14 Posted by BunkerBuster (1042 posts) -

The people that like Scott Pilgrim already have the game and the ones that don't never will. There's no need for a review for a game like this.

#15 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4779 posts) -

whatever happend to the giantbomb that would give us good video reviews and such, Its like much of the video content on the side has went towards stupid crap instead of indepth reviews and such...

#16 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -
@WilliamRLBaker said:
"whatever happend to the giantbomb that would give us good video reviews and such, Its like much of the video content on the side has went towards stupid crap instead of indepth reviews and such... "

What kind of person would want to watch an indepth video review of Scott Pilgrim?
#17 Posted by Cincaid (2959 posts) -

I can understand that you want to see a GB review of a game you obviously enjoy. But I have to also ask you; why? You already have it, and you already seem satisfied by buying it. So what would a GB review give you? Either a pat on the shoulder saying "yes, you bought the right thing", or a slap on the face saying "bad man, you spent money on a bad product". And obviously a negative review would just make you angry and probably write more dumb threads than this.

Sorry, don't mean to come off as a jerk, I just don't understand why people so desperatly want to see reviews of games, especially on those they already have and personally enjoy.

#18 Posted by NTM (7517 posts) -

Eh. Yeah, this was a good/great game, but I don't mind the fact there's no review. It would have been nice to see a five star review for Red Dead Redemption though. That may very well be my favorite game of the year so far. The only reason I don't like the fact there was no review was because, how would it factor in to game of the year? I'm not saying it should win since the year isn't over, but still. As for Scott Pilgrim, that's probably my favorite PSN game of the year.
#19 Posted by Hammerjelly (221 posts) -
@Damien said:
" I always wonder why people who have already bought and played through a game want a review.  What's the payoff for you? "
Its not that I want a review, I just thought the game was big enough to warrant one. Just surprised that it didn't get reviewed. I don't care either way, as I enjoyed it quite a bit.
#20 Posted by Animasta (14718 posts) -
@WilliamRLBaker said:
" whatever happend to the giantbomb that would give us good video reviews and such, Its like much of the video content on the side has went towards stupid crap instead of indepth reviews and such... "
yes because other M didn't have a video review, or kane and lynch 2...
#21 Posted by AlisterCat (5706 posts) -
@Hammerjelly said:
Its not that I want a review, I just thought the game was big enough to warrant one. Just surprised that it didn't get reviewed. I don't care either way, as I enjoyed it quite a bit. "
They didn't review Red Dead Redemption, and that's the biggest game this year. They seem to pick and choose what they review, and they just didn't want to or didn't have time. Not really to do with whether or not it's big.
#22 Posted by Nasos100 (727 posts) -

nope

#23 Posted by TekZero (2686 posts) -

I'm still waiting for a Risen review or at least a quicklook. 

#24 Posted by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -
@Hammerjelly said:
" Kind of disappointing that despite being released on PSN/XBLA weeks apart this game still hasn't gotten any kind of official GB review. Although the QL for this was pretty bullshit and Jeff didn't seem to really care about this game at all. Brad didn't even get to play, and it seemed like he wanted to. I'm sure the review would have been 2/3 stars, but I'm just surprised they didn't do it at all. Its not a long game!  I don't really care, I am having a great time w/ the game, its just curious that it got left out. "
wait what do you need a review for if you already made the purchasing decision. I guess they didn't review it cause nobody from the crew cared enough about it
#25 Edited by damswedon (3200 posts) -
#26 Posted by gingertastic_10 (4141 posts) -

They didn't review Red Dead. I can see why they wouldn't review this. The fact that they didn't seem interested at all in it would be the reason I think.

#27 Posted by EpicSteve (6495 posts) -

Here's your review:

"You run to the right and fight dudes. The game encapsulates the personality of the franchise, so it delivers the Scott Pilgrim-style of humor and character fans would expect. Oh, and it's fucking hard to play by yourself, bring a friend".

#28 Posted by GetEveryone (4458 posts) -
@Damien: Having their opinion qualified? People don't seem to believe that their own impression is simply enough, they need the "critics" to back them up.
#29 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -
@EpicSteve said:
" Here's your review:  "You run to the right and fight dudes. The game encapsulates the personality of the franchise, so it delivers the Scott Pilgrim-style of humor and character fans would expect. Oh, and it's fucking hard to play by yourself, bring a friend". "
Hahahaha, bravo sir.
#30 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

I did not like the game one bit but if they reviewed it and gave it a negative score people would go crazy.

#31 Posted by Wraxend (568 posts) -

Man if you like this game why do you need somebody elses opinion, yours is the only one that matters.
#32 Edited by Noodles (539 posts) -
@Wraxend said:

" Man if you like this game why do you need somebody elses opinion, yours is the only one that matters. "

Pretty much this. None of the staff seems to have any interest in the Scott Pilgrim universe to begin with, so (judging from the quicklook) they would miss why the game is so great. I would much rather have GB pick and choose what to review based on their interest in the games rather than how 'big' the game is.
#33 Posted by Hammerjelly (221 posts) -
@Hammerjelly said:
" @Damien said:
" I always wonder why people who have already bought and played through a game want a review.  What's the payoff for you? "
Its not that I want a review, I just thought the game was big enough to warrant one. Just surprised that it didn't get reviewed. I don't care either way, as I enjoyed it quite a bit. "
I don't need my purchase justified by the staff of GB, I just thought it was weird they didn't bother to review it.
#34 Posted by Yummylee (22280 posts) -

You'll get used to it.

#35 Posted by TheDevler (2 posts) -
@Damien:  To get the word out there for more people to see i would imagine.....
#36 Posted by FoxMulder (1709 posts) -

They didnt seem to be too fond of it.  It kinda came off as they saw it as ripping all of those classic games rather than paying homage to them.  I had a blast playing it and plan on playing it again and again!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.