Inspired to read the graphic novels...

#1 Posted by DryvBy (249 posts) -

Playing through this game a few times only did one thing: inspire me to read books 1 - 6. It's the only graphics novel I've read outside of the Bone series back in the day. I must say, very funny stuff. Playing back through the game made sense this way too.

#2 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -
@DryvBy: I saw the movie last night and now I can't wait for the game to come out on XBLA. I also want to get the graphic novels. Have you seen the movie yet?
#3 Posted by ArcLyte (883 posts) -

i would strongly encourage you to read any of the graphic novels with art by Ben Templesmith, such as Welcome to Hoxford, Wormwood: The Gentleman Corpse series, Groom Lake, etc.

#4 Posted by gingertastic_10 (4141 posts) -
@T0mF5 said:
" I read Scott Pilgrim and I wouldn't consider it to be a graphic novel. It is clearly a comic book. "
It's listed as a Graphic Novel on the books :/
#5 Posted by fenixREVOLUTION (735 posts) -

The books were very good, I only read the first three when I saw the movie, then promptly finished the last three after getting home. I've just been procrastinating on getting the game.

#6 Posted by Hailinel (24255 posts) -
@gingertastic_10 said:
" @T0mF5 said:
" I read Scott Pilgrim and I wouldn't consider it to be a graphic novel. It is clearly a comic book. "
It's listed as a Graphic Novel on the books :/ "
More accurately, it's a series of six graphic novels.
#7 Posted by DryvBy (249 posts) -
@SpikeSpiegel:  Not yet. I plan on it by this weekend, since it's my birthday. Ugh, I wanna be a younger 20 again.
#8 Posted by ImpendingFoil (555 posts) -

I've picked up all the graphic novels the day they have come out since volume 3.  You are so lucky now if you are buying them and not having to wait a year to a year and a half gap per volume.

They are really good though and are probably one of my favorite graphic novels ever.

#9 Posted by gingertastic_10 (4141 posts) -
@ImpendingFoil said:
" I've picked up all the graphic novels the day they have come out since volume 3.  You are so lucky now if you are buying them and not having to wait a year to a year and a half gap per volume.  They are really good though and are probably one of my favorite graphic novels ever. "
The gap between 4 and 5 was two years. I couldn't have done that, I would have killed someone.
#10 Posted by Vonocourt (2124 posts) -
@gingertastic_10 said:
" @T0mF5 said:
It's listed as a Graphic Novel on the books :/ "
I was always under the impression that a graphic novel was just a more sophisticated, i.e. pretentious, way of saying comic book.
#11 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -
@DryvBy: Bone! Fuck yes,man. That's awesome. I literally know no one who has even heard of it.

I've got the big 1000 odd page tome. Its such a fantastic read.
#12 Posted by ImpendingFoil (555 posts) -
@gingertastic_10 said:
"The gap between 4 and 5 was two years. I couldn't have done that, I would have killed someone. "

Maybe that is why it had a nifty foil cover when it finally came out.  I didn't even realize it was that long.

I'm probably going to reread the whole thing in one sitting this weekend.
#13 Posted by gingertastic_10 (4141 posts) -
@ImpendingFoil said:
" @gingertastic_10 said:
"The gap between 4 and 5 was two years. I couldn't have done that, I would have killed someone. "
 Maybe that is why it had a nifty foil cover when it finally came out.  I didn't even realize it was that long.  I'm probably going to reread the whole thing in one sitting this weekend. "
I've been wanting to do that for awhile. It's a good way to spend 2hrs or so.
#14 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

I read the graphic novels in a week, and finished a couple days ago; good stuff. Now I really want to play the game.
#15 Posted by Rmack (1078 posts) -
@Vonocourt:
Nope. Comics are the thin little things that come out monthly. Graphic novels are not.
#16 Posted by DryvBy (249 posts) -
@GetEveryone: Ha! Same here. I've been reading for years. I'm missing one book but I'm thinking about getting that huge book myself. I love it. Too bad they never finished the series via TellTale Games. (If you didn't know, they have Bone adventure games that are pretty accurate to the novel)
#17 Posted by Enigmatical (132 posts) -
I tore through the six volumes like the night after watching the movie.  

I think I ended up enjoying the movie more thanks to the graphic novels -- there are a ton of winks and nods to the audience in the movie if you've read the books.  

On that night, I would have hated having to wait years between volumes, especially with some of the cliffhangers in the books.  (Poor Scott...)

#18 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (1863 posts) -

They're pretty great, I'm going to re-read Scott Pilgrim's Finest Hour (6th and final volume) again in a few minutes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.