It's up on PSN, impressions thread

• 70 results
#1 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

Right now it's up if you use the PSN search option.  Supposedly Ubistore codes aren't working just yet.  I'm downloaded and about to play.  EU store version goes up tomorrow.  I've been really hyped for it and I'm about to play!

#2 Posted by tallTuck94 (553 posts) -

as a massive fan of sp i cannot wait for this game, it looks way too awesome

#3 Posted by Kombat (2205 posts) -

I have a PS3 but I'm waiting for the 360 version. Why? Because I'm a shameless achievement whore. Oh, and Monday Night Combat comes out tomorrow and I need to afford that.

#4 Posted by TurboMan (7724 posts) -

Downloading demo... I want to buy, but I'm going to be sure first.

#5 Posted by EpicSteve (6499 posts) -

Is this a franchise that exists outside of the movie or something? If so, can someone give me the gist of what it's about?

#6 Edited by tallTuck94 (553 posts) -
@EpicSteve: it's an american manga/graphic novel were this likable loser jerk called scott pilgrim meets the literal girl of his dreams but to date her properly he has to defeat the league of evil exes which consist of 7 of her evil exes. then hilarity ensues
EDIT!!! sorry it's canadian and set in toronto, sliped my mind there
#7 Posted by EpicSteve (6499 posts) -
@tallTuck94 said:
" @EpicSteve: it's an american manga/graphic novel were this likable loser jerk called scott pilgrim meets the literal girl of his dreams but to date her properly he has to defeat the league of evil exes which consist of 7 of her evil exes. then hilarity ensues "
so do the characters have powers or something? I saw some weird fighting going on in the trailer.
#8 Posted by tallTuck94 (553 posts) -
@EpicSteve: well it's set in a world where video games and the real life are mashed together so when scott fights the first evil ex he does a 68 hit combo or somthing like that, although some people think that it's just how he views every day situations in his own mind
#9 Posted by TurboMan (7724 posts) -
@tallTuck94: 60+ hit air  combo.
#10 Posted by EpicSteve (6499 posts) -
@tallTuck94 said:
" @EpicSteve: well it's set in a world where video games and the real life are mashed together so when scott fights the first evil ex he does a 68 hit combo or somthing like that, although some people think that it's just how he views every day situations in his own mind "
So the craziness may or may not be happening?
#11 Posted by tallTuck94 (553 posts) -
@TurboMan: sorry for not remebering that tiny detail Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh
#12 Posted by tallTuck94 (553 posts) -
@EpicSteve: well it's very crazy but not sure about how crazy the game is cause i have to wait till tomorrow
#13 Posted by animateria (3259 posts) -

I'm more interested in the game because of the artist who worked on the game.

He does a lot of small stuff shown on his groups blog. (His work is generally... NSFW)

But I think he is more famous for this.

#14 Posted by TurboMan (7724 posts) -

just finished playing through the demo.... 

there's a few things the game NEEDS: 
1. Grabs 
2. Online Co-Op 

other than that... I just gave Ubisoft 10 bucks..

#15 Posted by tallTuck94 (553 posts) -
@TurboMan: to grab you gatta stand over thier downed bodys and press heavy attack
#16 Edited by Diamond (8634 posts) -

Been playing it.  Very awesome so far.  The music is so great.  Battle gameplay has a lot of stuff to it.  Just got in the 4th level and lost and I'm starving and have to do some other stuff so taking a break!

I do hope some of those side paths on the main map are actual secret levels, that would be awesome.

You unlock a few grabs later on too.

#17 Posted by TurboMan (7724 posts) -
@Diamond said:
" You unlock a few grabs later on too. "
Thank God.
#18 Posted by DonChipotle (2839 posts) -

Love it so far. Wish it had online co-op. Hopefully they patch it in or something

#19 Posted by tallTuck94 (553 posts) -
@Diamond: the demo is damn hard
or i'm just shite
are there major differences between characters?
#20 Posted by DonChipotle (2839 posts) -
@tallTuck94 said:
" @Diamond: the demo is damn hard or i'm just shite are there major differences between characters? "

The game is hard too. I died on the first level. 

Fuckin' dogs. 
#21 Edited by SuperfluousMoniker (2913 posts) -

I've been playing it and like it a lot. Very River City Ransom, with more than a few references I've spotted already (hidden shop in the tunnel past the shopping district? Flat Irons Books?) 

My only real complaints thus far are that it takes too long to get back up after being knocked down and the walk speed is way too slow.

#22 Posted by GhostX406 (15 posts) -

It's real buggy.

#23 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@tallTuck94:  Yea, I'm playing it on the easiest skill level so far.  Tried a round one up and made it about half as far.  The good thing is you keep your levels and stats so the more you play and buy the easier it'll get.
#24 Posted by tallTuck94 (553 posts) -
@SuperfluousMoniker: if you double tap a direction you can sprint
#25 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2913 posts) -
@tallTuck94:  Yeah, I know, it's just that the walk is so slow you need to sprint everywhere.
#26 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@SuperfluousMoniker:  Course your speed stat effects that.  It's not a permanent thing.
#27 Posted by DonChipotle (2839 posts) -

So the only real difference between characters are their move animations, initial stats, and their Knives attack it seems. Ramona totally has the best Knives assist.

#28 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

"... he has to defeat her 7 evil exes."

Wait, that sounds like the blueprint for Crackdown 3.

#29 Edited by animateria (3259 posts) -
@buzz_killington said:

" "... he has to defeat her 7 evil exes."  Wait, that sounds like the blueprint for Crackdown 3. "

Actually more like the first Mercenaries...

Edit: Actually like Mega Man....
#30 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7184 posts) -

Isn't this a movie? 

What is going on! D:

#31 Posted by animateria (3259 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba said:
" Isn't this a movie?  What is going on! D: "
Both the game and the movie are based on a comic book series of the same name.
#32 Posted by DonChipotle (2839 posts) -

Either I suck, or Kim is the weakest character. Which sucks because I intend to use Kim all the way through.

#33 Posted by tallTuck94 (553 posts) -
@animateria: the book is just called scott pilgrim, vs the world is a sub-title of either the second or third book i think
#34 Posted by TurboMan (7724 posts) -
#35 Posted by tallTuck94 (553 posts) -
@VelvetLore04: It's All about Stephen Stills, he's the talent
#36 Posted by DonChipotle (2839 posts) -
@tallTuck94 said:
" @VelvetLore04: It's All about Stephen Stills, he's the talent "
 Ha ha. True. True. 

But Stephen Stills doesn't totally make out with Knives and become temporarily invincible. He just has her  throw her namesake. 

I am loving the detail in the game, especially the stores and background elements.
#37 Posted by Marmaladebrat (299 posts) -

I enjoyed the demo. this will be an eventual buy, but I have way too many unfinished games.

#38 Posted by Jugganut (18 posts) -

gave the demo a try and yea, I'm game.  10 bucks well spent.

#39 Posted by gingertastic_10 (4141 posts) -

I'm downloading it right now. SO FUCKING EXCITED.

#40 Posted by DonChipotle (2839 posts) -

Getting up to a boss and then getting a game over is the worst feeling.

#41 Posted by warfather (44 posts) -

can't stop the violence, i love it 
infectious, i feed on it

Good game.

#42 Posted by TurboMan (7724 posts) -
@VelvetLore04 said:
" Getting up to a boss and then getting a game over is the worst feeling. "
exactly.
#43 Posted by kickinthehead (71 posts) -

I played a bit of 2 player co-op and it's pretty fun, but actually pretty hard so far. My only gripe would be that the fact your character can't move in the slightest as you attack makes it feel a bit sticky. I feel like the movement and hit detection should be more like a Castle Crashers or Final Fight, but there are times I'm right on top of a guy or on a plane slightly above or below him and I don't hit. Animation and art is great though.

#44 Posted by ISuperGamerI (1880 posts) -

So the game doesn't have online co-op? I'm gonna download the demo and see if it's any good.

#45 Posted by TurboMan (7724 posts) -

overall consensus so far: 
It's flawed, but really good. Hopes it gets patched for online.

#46 Posted by AndrewGaspar (2419 posts) -
@tallTuck94 said:
" @EpicSteve: it's an american manga/graphic novel were this likable loser jerk called scott pilgrim meets the literal girl of his dreams but to date her properly he has to defeat the league of evil exes which consist of 7 of her evil exes. then hilarity ensues EDIT!!! sorry it's canadian and set in toronto, sliped my mind there "
I read the first part about it being American and was going to burst your bubble, but you burst it for yourself. :'( 

I just read all six volumes in about two sittings. It was so good! Can't wait for the movie. I'm tempted to try this, but I feel like I wouldn't finish it.
#47 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

I've beaten it.  Yea, I know, I'm super bad.

I wonder if Knives is an unlockable playable character.  I unlocked someone else and I can't find them, maybe they're only for assist?  I'm confused.

I want to read the comics now...

#48 Posted by TheLawnWrangler (1657 posts) -

it's pretty flawed, and overly... stuff (in a way, complicated, and sometimes, hard), but it's really fun. I can't wait to try co-op

#49 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

its fucking great.

#50 Posted by gingertastic_10 (4141 posts) -

Best downloadable of the year, and it WILL be on my top 5 games of the year. Some of the best fan service I've ever seen.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.