Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 09, 2010

Beat up a lot of people to win the heart of your girlfriend in this retro-themed 2D side-scrolling beat-em-up based on the Scott Pilgrim series of graphic novels.

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game - The Demo

Parabole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 17

Edited By Parabole

TO BE CLEAR: The game SPVTW:TG is related to the movie in the sense that it's coming out at the same time.  No Michael Cera Voice over and no shoehorned advertisement.

Side scrolling beat'em up that is instantly charming to gamers of the coin slot arcades and the double dragon home consoles will instantly feel a connection to Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game. Something that will resonate with everyone is the challenge of fighting and figuring out how to spend the spare change.

Don't say it Scott.
     Don't say it Scott.
    Scott may be the titular protaganist of the Bryan O'Malley books and movie, but in this beat'em up, four characters share in the adventure. Scott is quick and damages enemies with iconic shoryukens and whirlwind kicks. also on the nimble side is Ramona who may brings out a very big hammer on stronger attacks. Both Kim and Stephen may not hurry to the show as quicly as the others but they sure do bring the pain with stronger attacks.

During my trial playthrough, I was instantly absorbed as I selected my character and was greeted with an overworld and starwipe that reminded me of my super nintedo. With a quick check of my button map, I was impressed to see an assist by Knives. All characters summon her, but each one is different: Ramona gets a big cup of java, Stephen gets a ninja Knives, Scott gets a big LOVE cloud, and Ramona gets a kiss. This temporarily boost power for each character and in can, when executed, unleash a barrage of punches on enemies. I got as high as 150 combo. 

With awesome attacks, its only fitting that the enemies are really hard. They charge, pick up objects and throw them for some long distance cowardice, and bigger enemies take a while to wear them down. Not to say it wasn't fun encountering them however. They show emoticons when they lay on the ground hurt >_<. On occasions they dog pile on top of the character and they pick snowball fights in the first stage. The funniest part is when enemies drop change, which actually comes in handy for purchasing items in stores.

Where's the giant baby?
     Where's the giant baby?
    One thing that is just fanservice comes from the art and level details. Props go out to Paul Robertson for making the world of Scott Pilgrim come to life and merging it with the beat'em up it takes after. The biggest homages (in the first level anyways) are directed to Mario. The level select reminded me of Super Mario World. There were secret entrances in the level which were like the pipes you went down in mario to get extra loot and advance in the level. There were certain bricks in Ramona's subspace you can break and punch repeatedly that produced a bunch of coins. 

Saving up for tacos.
     Saving up for tacos.
    Scrounging up all that pocket change comes in handy when entering the stores in the game. The selection in some stores are amazing like green tea or Burritos. It's pretty cool to see that saving up money can actually be used to pay Scott's late fee's at a movie rental store. With the money accumulating, theres probably some worthwhile things to buy in the full game. The only downside so far have been the offline only multiplayer. Since going through alone, it would really help to get the Sex Bob-omb gang all beating up enemies.

Sex Bob-omb to the rescue.
    Parabole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By Parabole

TO BE CLEAR: The game SPVTW:TG is related to the movie in the sense that it's coming out at the same time.  No Michael Cera Voice over and no shoehorned advertisement.

Side scrolling beat'em up that is instantly charming to gamers of the coin slot arcades and the double dragon home consoles will instantly feel a connection to Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game. Something that will resonate with everyone is the challenge of fighting and figuring out how to spend the spare change.

Don't say it Scott.
     Don't say it Scott.
    Scott may be the titular protaganist of the Bryan O'Malley books and movie, but in this beat'em up, four characters share in the adventure. Scott is quick and damages enemies with iconic shoryukens and whirlwind kicks. also on the nimble side is Ramona who may brings out a very big hammer on stronger attacks. Both Kim and Stephen may not hurry to the show as quicly as the others but they sure do bring the pain with stronger attacks.

During my trial playthrough, I was instantly absorbed as I selected my character and was greeted with an overworld and starwipe that reminded me of my super nintedo. With a quick check of my button map, I was impressed to see an assist by Knives. All characters summon her, but each one is different: Ramona gets a big cup of java, Stephen gets a ninja Knives, Scott gets a big LOVE cloud, and Ramona gets a kiss. This temporarily boost power for each character and in can, when executed, unleash a barrage of punches on enemies. I got as high as 150 combo. 

With awesome attacks, its only fitting that the enemies are really hard. They charge, pick up objects and throw them for some long distance cowardice, and bigger enemies take a while to wear them down. Not to say it wasn't fun encountering them however. They show emoticons when they lay on the ground hurt >_<. On occasions they dog pile on top of the character and they pick snowball fights in the first stage. The funniest part is when enemies drop change, which actually comes in handy for purchasing items in stores.

Where's the giant baby?
     Where's the giant baby?
    One thing that is just fanservice comes from the art and level details. Props go out to Paul Robertson for making the world of Scott Pilgrim come to life and merging it with the beat'em up it takes after. The biggest homages (in the first level anyways) are directed to Mario. The level select reminded me of Super Mario World. There were secret entrances in the level which were like the pipes you went down in mario to get extra loot and advance in the level. There were certain bricks in Ramona's subspace you can break and punch repeatedly that produced a bunch of coins. 

Saving up for tacos.
     Saving up for tacos.
    Scrounging up all that pocket change comes in handy when entering the stores in the game. The selection in some stores are amazing like green tea or Burritos. It's pretty cool to see that saving up money can actually be used to pay Scott's late fee's at a movie rental store. With the money accumulating, theres probably some worthwhile things to buy in the full game. The only downside so far have been the offline only multiplayer. Since going through alone, it would really help to get the Sex Bob-omb gang all beating up enemies.

floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By floodiastus

Is the demo out for XBLA then?

rjpelonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By rjpelonia

Great review of the demo, and yeah, I'm moderately bummed out about multiplayer being offline only as well. Though, I was always fond more of playing with others that are actually in the same room as me, so it's not a total loss. Can't wait to run through more of the game with my friends and I hope you and many other purchase the game as well. Again, awesome work.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
    gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By gingertastic_10

Good read dude. This game is MAD fan service. Which is really all I wanted.

tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By tallTuck94

i haven't been able to try out co-op yet so i have a quick question, how does ramona fit into the team specials? if it's sex bob-omb playing music as the team special hows does ramona fit into that?

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By unsolvedparadox

That is one crazy awkward game title you're rolling out there...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.