So, apparently the game is getting online mulitplayer

#1 Posted by wh1terav3n (657 posts) -

Yeah, for 400 pts on August 19th, the game is getting online multiplayer. It's the one thing the game was really missing, but it might be too late. In either case, it's really really weird that this is coming out now, way after the game launched.

#2 Edited by mandude (2669 posts) -

I guess that's to coincide with the colour hardback reprint of the comics or something? Seems mad that you'd have to pay for it.

#3 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

Why should we pay for something they should've already included?

#4 Posted by morrelloman (608 posts) -

This is great news, but I am so far removed from this game. I still watch the movie when it is on cable, but it's just a weird move. Plus it could be poop. Remember the double dragon multiplayer?

#5 Posted by AlisterCat (5522 posts) -

I absolutely loved this game but... this game is 2 years old, right? What are they thinking?

#6 Posted by Hailinel (24285 posts) -

@AlisterCat said:

I absolutely loved this game but... this game is 2 years old, right? What are they thinking?

It's obviously being done in conjunction with the release of the full-color Scott Pilgrim graphic novels. The development team had no need to do work on the online multiplayer at this point, but it's apparent that someone cared enough about it that they did it anyway.

#7 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

It's never too late for now.

But with this and the MGS4 trophy update, we've been seeing some weird late-additions. I remember quite liking Scott Pilgrim (the game), but I don't really see myself picking it up again. Does anyone know if the game's crashing is fixed? In the 8 hours or so I played, I think it crashed 6 times on me, which is pretty ridiculous.

#8 Posted by Mesoian (1574 posts) -

For this type of game, it's fine. It's something you can slide into really easily.  

Eager to see how it turns out. The thing that made me put SPvsTW so quickly was how mundane it was while playing it alone.

#9 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

You have to pay for the multiplayer to be added?

How about no.

#10 Posted by TwilitEnd656 (617 posts) -

It's never too late, but... Having to pay for what should have been a feature to begin with... =/

#11 Posted by kermoosh (911 posts) -

that's nice and all but the game is 2 years old as others have said. plus i have played the game a million times by now so i wouldn't be willing to pay 5 bucks

but it's still a nice gesture i guess

#12 Posted by falling_fast (2208 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

release of the full-color Scott Pilgrim graphic novels.

I didn't know about this o_O. I think I like the black and white ones just fine, though. and also I don't feel like buying all those books over again.

#13 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

Wha...? Is this even really needed for a game that old? Just make a new one.

#14 Posted by Elazul (1327 posts) -

If it were free I would've said that this was a highly misguided decision and that they've long missed the boat for an update to actually get them any extra sales at this point.

As it stands; 400 points to add multiplayer to a two year old, 800 point XBLA game!? More like "Scott Pilgrim vs. Common-Fucking-Sense"!!!

#15 Posted by LikeaSsur (1508 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

You have to pay for the multiplayer to be added? How about no.

My sentiment exactly. If I want an Xbox Live beat 'em up, I'll go to Castle Crashers.

#16 Posted by JJOR64 (18941 posts) -

Just read about it over on Joystiq. This is pretty neat they are actually doing this.

#17 Posted by Akyho (1594 posts) -

@morrelloman said:

This is great news, but I am so far removed from this game. I still watch the movie when it is on cable, but it's just a weird move. Plus it could be poop. Remember the double dragon multiplayer?

The game has local coop already. Me and two other friends completed it the other month there. Since the game is so damned hard.

Online multiplayer is what has been missing for along time. However they promised this so long ago. Its a bit late.

#18 Posted by ShaggE (6402 posts) -

On the one hand: Awesome. On the other: Naaah... not for five bucks. Not when the community will be mostly dead after a week. I'd buy a PC version with built-in MP, though.

#19 Posted by Evercaptor (391 posts) -

Vs? But playing some SPvTW with my buddies would definitely get me to play that game again, especially because it's been on my replay list for a good couple of months. Worth £5 IMO!

#20 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

Developers decide to support their game a couple years after release, and the reaction is this negative? I'm surprised. More power to them.

#21 Posted by Village_Guy (2537 posts) -

A perfectly fine idea, but having to pay for it, so long after the game has come out is kinda ridiculous.

I think as a free download, they could maybe spark a little interest in the game potentially selling some more copies, whether that would make more money than putting it out as paid DLC, I can't tell...

#22 Posted by Bartman3010 (445 posts) -

It would...probably be okay to check out? Maybe? I mean, the game was developed in Flash, so assuming it's like most other online games that require precision, or at least wasn't really developed with online play in mind, it won't perform well.

#23 Posted by SamFo (1528 posts) -

I'm still holidng out hope for New Beatles Rock Band DLC...

#24 Posted by ShaggE (6402 posts) -

@SamFo said:

I'm still holidng out hope for New Beatles Rock Band DLC...

:(

#25 Posted by spiceninja (3056 posts) -

Charging for it almost guarantees that no one will be playing online.

#26 Posted by ReverendHunt (334 posts) -

I do believe you're all missing the important part.

Getting to make everyone your bitch with Wallace.

#27 Edited by yoshisaur (2700 posts) -

@Tylea002 said:

Developers decide to support their game a couple years after release, and the reaction is this negative? I'm surprised. More power to them.

I think you are misreading these concerns as negativity. Having the concern that a game-mode edition this late in the cycle, with no added content, is too little - too late, is constructive criticism. The developers should have done something a little more to entice their users to jump back in instead of people expecting an encore. In the end, it really is just online. You already had same-computer multi-player, how different will this really be?

It's a bit late, to be honest. If they released a huge content pack along with it, I'd jump right in. The problem is, however, that the people who have already played, most likely to death, won't be too happy about just going back to the same content with strangers online.

#28 Posted by Yummylee (21475 posts) -

I'm good, thanks.

#29 Posted by iAmJohn (6114 posts) -

Fantastic goddamn game, but there is no way in hell I'm paying $5 for online.

#30 Posted by Mahogany (18 posts) -

I'd buy a PC version with online co-op for £10. Always been a bit surprised this hasn't come out on Steam.

#31 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

@Tylea002 said:

developers decided to add multiplayer at a cost when they could have added it before there was no reason not too Scott pilgrim the game sucks without multiplayer the game type was pretty much made for other players to be playing with you.

I paid full price at launch I wont be paying another 400ms just to get multiplayer I've already had enough people over to play it to get my fill I would have had far better of a time if it had online mp but oh well.

#32 Edited by Calitar (91 posts) -

Looks like the update/DLC has been delayed (to "this fall"). Also, I've read contradicting reports about charging for the multiplayer. All the reports I've seen talks about a online multiplayer update to come out at the same time as the Wallace DLC. So it may be that the multiplayer is free and you only pay for Wallace.

...OR they could be combining the online multiplayer and Wallace into one pack. Either way I'm buying the DLC because I'm crazy, but I don't think many other people will be online if they charge for the multiplayer.

#33 Posted by RudeCubes (138 posts) -
#34 Posted by sodacat (214 posts) -
#35 Posted by FoxMulder (1665 posts) -

Looks like it's set to come out this week after many delays. I love this game, but $5 DLC coming out 2 years after it's release that only adds online and another character is a bit much. I bought the Knives Chau pack and was dissapointed with the other game modes. A game like this still gettng support this long after is cool, but the add-on is really only incentive for people buying it new now as all the DLC comes with a purchase of the full game!

I'll probably play this sometime again, but it was most fun sitting in a room and playing it with my brother like we used to do in the SNES years!

#36 Posted by beanZfury (59 posts) -

Bought the online DLC pack today. It's laggy as hell, hardlocked my 360 twice, and is nigh impossible to start a match. Thanks Ubisoft for making us wait two years for a broken online experience. I want my money back.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.