Partial Track List For Scratch: The Ultimate DJ

• 61 results
Posted by Jeff (3425 posts) -
Cutting it up on the virtual ones and twos.
Rolling Stone ran a brief article on the upcoming rhythm game from 7 Studios and Genco Interactive, Scratch: The Ultimate DJ. There isn't too much in the way of new details in there, as it's primarily built on quotes from Quincy "QD3" Jones III, who has already been announced as participating in the game's development.

But I don't think I've seen this list of music that will be in the game anywhere yet. In addition to getting new tracks from Beastie Boys' DJ, Mixmaster Mike, the game will have as-yet unannounced tracks from Run-DMC, Gorillaz, Nelly, and Deltron 3030. It will also contain these specific tracks:
  • “Flashing Lights” - Kanye West
  • “Intergalactic” - Beastie Boys
  • “Let’s Get it Started” - The Black Eyed Peas
  • “Slacker” - Tech N9ne
  • “Don’t Sweat the Technique” - Eric B. and Rakim

So far, that's a decent list, even though I don't think every one of those songs actually has any scratching in it. Hopefully the game is more than a run-of-the-mill Beatmania clone. QD3's quotes in the articles make all kinds of wild claims, including  “if you learn how to scratch on this, it’s the exact replica of the real thing. You’re essentially buying a little studio.”

Not to be too negative, Mr. 3, but I'll believe that when I see it, thanks.
Staff
#1 Posted by Jeff (3425 posts) -
Cutting it up on the virtual ones and twos.
Rolling Stone ran a brief article on the upcoming rhythm game from 7 Studios and Genco Interactive, Scratch: The Ultimate DJ. There isn't too much in the way of new details in there, as it's primarily built on quotes from Quincy "QD3" Jones III, who has already been announced as participating in the game's development.

But I don't think I've seen this list of music that will be in the game anywhere yet. In addition to getting new tracks from Beastie Boys' DJ, Mixmaster Mike, the game will have as-yet unannounced tracks from Run-DMC, Gorillaz, Nelly, and Deltron 3030. It will also contain these specific tracks:
  • “Flashing Lights” - Kanye West
  • “Intergalactic” - Beastie Boys
  • “Let’s Get it Started” - The Black Eyed Peas
  • “Slacker” - Tech N9ne
  • “Don’t Sweat the Technique” - Eric B. and Rakim

So far, that's a decent list, even though I don't think every one of those songs actually has any scratching in it. Hopefully the game is more than a run-of-the-mill Beatmania clone. QD3's quotes in the articles make all kinds of wild claims, including  “if you learn how to scratch on this, it’s the exact replica of the real thing. You’re essentially buying a little studio.”

Not to be too negative, Mr. 3, but I'll believe that when I see it, thanks.
Staff
#2 Posted by HistoryInRust (6275 posts) -

Intergalactic. 

Score. 

#3 Posted by Forcen (1806 posts) -
Sir_Ragnarok said:
"Intergalactic. 

Score. "
This!
#4 Posted by PowerSerj (987 posts) -

Intergalactic.

Double Score.

#5 Posted by norton123 (311 posts) -

Gorillaz sounds cool.

#6 Posted by Milkman (16541 posts) -

I've never even heard of this game but Intergalactic is enough to get me excited.

#7 Edited by Mister_Snig (569 posts) -

Loving the art style, but all I see is a glorified Beatmania. Then again, that's just from one screenshot.

Also, Intergalactic, Flashing Lights, and Gorillaz FTW!

#8 Posted by Junpei (726 posts) -

Personally I'd rather have more Beatmania finally come to the US. The one released for PS2 was ok, but I'd like to see more of the original DJ game.

#9 Posted by matrix_hiei (143 posts) -

Don't Sweat the Technique and Intergalactic are great songs. The game itself looks pretty meh though.

#10 Posted by welly (118 posts) -

sick. and nasty

#11 Posted by MeatSim (10778 posts) -

I'm down for some Gorillaz.

#12 Posted by masternater27 (915 posts) -

deltron 3030 is the real bees knees here.  I'll probably buy it just for that.

#13 Posted by TripMasterMunky (2402 posts) -

Nice to see Rakim on there.

#14 Posted by dsplayer1010 (2227 posts) -

I think I'll pass on this one

#15 Posted by LiveOrDie1212 (926 posts) -

i always dream one day there will be a DJ game, now it has finally come true

#16 Posted by bucky (116 posts) -

More DJ Shadow

#17 Posted by Phished0ne (2486 posts) -

YES!! DELTRON! lets hope for Proto-Culture,  a song about video-games, in a video game..WOAH cAARAAAZy

#18 Posted by HatKing (5836 posts) -

Nice set list so far, Deltron, Kanye, Gorillaz and Beastie Boyz are all artists I'd be interested in with this type of game...and their all on my ipod. lol

#19 Posted by Artemis_D (817 posts) -

It just.... looks like Guitar Hero/Rock Band, with turntables.  That's not what I want from a game like this.

#20 Posted by Abomstar (137 posts) -

Could have potential. Will purchase if the game engine is sound.

#21 Posted by Captain_Fookup (1519 posts) -
“Let’s Get it Started” - The Black Eyed Peas

Garbage.
#22 Posted by Ouroboros (344 posts) -

ERIC B AND RAKIM

yes!  I might get it just for them..........actually, maybe no.
#23 Posted by QuietAlien (174 posts) -

Deltron!?
Yes.
Yes.
I have no clue how the game is going to be but if its got Del and Mix Master Mike I'll give it a chance.

#24 Posted by ZombiePie (5588 posts) -

This better be better than that last console Beatmania game, because that game was crap and I feel like this game is going to be just like that.

#25 Posted by Champy (533 posts) -

flashing lights and deltron3030? arrrgggg i might want this!!

#26 Posted by Vance_Helsing (215 posts) -

Decent track list...except the worst excuse for a band ever stinks up the place with "Let's Get It Started". God, I hate the Black Eyed Peas. I honestly might have to skip this just because they're in the game (I'm a big baby, I know- same reason why I never bought "Lumines 2" as well).

#27 Posted by strangeling (1260 posts) -

While I like what music is listed, I have no desire to scratch.

#28 Edited by TewDee (70 posts) -

Looks like shit so far. I was expecting...uh...DJ songs. Ya know?

@bunky - FUUUUUUUCK YES!

#29 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

I love rap...so much...with a passion...definitely not of hatred.

#30 Posted by Kohe321 (3523 posts) -

I'll pass on this one too

#31 Posted by Knale (19 posts) -

little bit disappointed to not be seeing any real dj's or groups. Dj Shadow, Krush, Xecutioners, Qbert, UNKLE, Marlin, Phontaine. Just a couple of people on the wishlist.

#32 Posted by SubTact (49 posts) -

If they're putting in Gorillaz and Deltron 3030, they should have a track by the OG Dan the Automator concept group/album, Dr. Octagon, where Q-bert was on the cutz.

I'm thinking most of this game will be like Beatmania, with the equivalent to "solos" in GH/RB being the actual parts you "scratch".  I'm definitely interested in seeing if the mechanic is going to be based on the popular perception of how to scratch/cut or actually will be modelled after modern techniques (which are mostly heavy on the crossfader).

#33 Posted by Sliqcore (47 posts) -

Eric B and Rakim and people are happy about intergalactic?

Computer nerds meet turntables, turntables, computer nerds...

#34 Posted by needforswede (492 posts) -

I had no interest in this game, but it seems to have some ok music on it.  They could have picked a better Beastie Boys song though, I guess they just opted for the better known one which is disappointing because there are so many amazing Beastie Boys songs to choose from.  And yea, the Black Eyed Peas are terrible.

But nonetheless, I'm getting tired of all the music based games.

For me, I'd rather make music for real instead of replicating songs with the help of in-game prompts.  You think being a gamer and playing guitar all my life, I'd naturally be drawn to Guitar Hero, but I wasn't that great at it, and when I got decent I just thought to myself "this is pointless."  It felt like I was wasting my time learning a trivialized videogame version of a song I'd rather play in real life.  And I would see videos of people getting over 90% on expert with a Dragonforce song, and I just felt like telling them to give up the game and try it for real if they haven't already...not hating, it's just that if you have that much finger dexterity, there's a good chance that you'd be good at really playing guitar.  Yet there are still people who aren't interested in anything unless you turn it into a game somehow.

Being a DJ is much less attainable for me, and that should make this game more appealing, but it really doesn't.

#35 Posted by Media_Master (3283 posts) -

we'll see..

#36 Posted by Lentic (1 posts) -

Any other BeatmaniaIIDX players in here rolling their eyes at will most likely be a pitiable difficulty level in comparison?

Be sure to wake me if Scratch or DJHero reach the depth of challenge of something like...this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEQMHYgqkZ4
#37 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

I was hoping there'd be some trance or something on this, but I imagine that'll be more for DJ Hero or something.

#38 Posted by bombHills (632 posts) -
#39 Edited by oldenglishC (922 posts) -

Hopefully it's the Pete Rock remix of  “Don’t Sweat the Technique”.

NOW ALL YOU DAMN KIDS OFF MY LAWN!!
#40 Posted by SteamPunkJin (1286 posts) -

With Tech N9ne and Del on the track list I might have to pick up a music game.
The Beastie Boys and Gorillaz don't hurt it either.

#41 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

Hmmm....how about no.

#42 Posted by kyrilsama (1 posts) -

meh i still love beatmania IIDX so i'll pass on this one even if it has a BEP music.

#43 Posted by bondfish (56 posts) -

its gona suck any body remember that last DJ game released like 3 years ago? i do it sucked

#44 Posted by SmugDarkLoser (4619 posts) -
#45 Posted by AsKo25 (57 posts) -

TECH N9NE

#46 Posted by Systech (4078 posts) -

Intergalactic will probably be pretty awesome and it's the right song for the game. Other songs seem to be in check, too.

#47 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Nice. I'm all for Deltron 3030 in a videogame. It's been almost a year since Del has been featured in a videogame soundtrack. /sarcasm

After The 11th Hour, I'm not so sure I'm looking forward to the Deltron sequel Event II. If El-P would do a cyberpunk concept album, on the other hand, I might think twice.

Also, scratching was fresh maybe a decade or two ago... Wake me when there's a plastic toy talkbox peripheral.

#48 Posted by coffeesash (347 posts) -

How about Herbie Hancock's Rockit? Or anything by DJ Yoda...

#49 Posted by Thunder (390 posts) -

it sounds stupid imo

#50 Posted by chronicsmoke (996 posts) -

hell yeah tech 9!!!! hopefully the game itself will be good

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.