Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Scribblenauts

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 15, 2009

Developed by 5th Cell Media, Scribblenauts is a puzzle-action game for the Nintendo DS in which players can spawn thousands of objects from a vast database to aid in solving puzzles and overcoming obstacles... or just dicking around in silly and hilarious ways. The choice is yours!

What is Scribblenauts? Perhaps the Most Inventive Game This Year

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 6

Edited By DrRandle

Perhaps One of the Most Inventive Games Ever

by Randy Marr

The problem with most games is that solving puzzles is limited to the game world. Maybe you only have certain tools, or maybe there's only certain ways a character can move through the environment. There are many times where games don't do what you think they should, but they have every capability too. (A certain ending to Fallout 3 comes to mind.) Most open-world games with their laughable morality systems (*cough*infamous*cough*) only let you do things one way or the other.

This is not this game. Scribblenauts lets you do whatever you want. Don't believe me? Here:

So what do you think? This game is easily on my top 5 games to get this year. (Maybe I'll make that list sometime here...)

"My god can beat up your god
    My god has told me so."
    Dennis DeYong - My God (Can Beat Up Your God)
    DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By DrRandle

by Randy Marr

The problem with most games is that solving puzzles is limited to the game world. Maybe you only have certain tools, or maybe there's only certain ways a character can move through the environment. There are many times where games don't do what you think they should, but they have every capability too. (A certain ending to Fallout 3 comes to mind.) Most open-world games with their laughable morality systems (*cough*infamous*cough*) only let you do things one way or the other.

This is not this game. Scribblenauts lets you do whatever you want. Don't believe me? Here:

So what do you think? This game is easily on my top 5 games to get this year. (Maybe I'll make that list sometime here...)

"My god can beat up your god
    My god has told me so."
    Dennis DeYong - My God (Can Beat Up Your God)
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#2  Edited By AgentJ
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Milkman

This game makes...no sense. I guess I'm interested but I think my mind is exactly too blown to comprehend this game.

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DrRandle
    @AgentJ: Unfortunately I don't pay attention to forums. I'm not sure why exactly the blogs have to thread into the forums, other than I suppose for readability, but I write about what I write about regardless.

And Milkman; this game makes sense. It just makes more sense than our pathetic earth-brains can handle. That doesn't mean it won't be fun, however.
    Avatar image for vitaminwateryum
    VitaminWaterYum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By VitaminWaterYum
    @Feep said:
    " I had played all the big titles at E3. Private showings of God of War III, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake. But at 4:00 on Thursday, I was wandering around the show floor, wondering what else I had to see. I saw a small little booth for "Scribblenauts!" in the Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment section. I mean, who goes to that booth? But I remember hearing about it on GAF, and so I decided to check it out.

Best game of E3? Without a fucking doubt. Anyone who says otherwise did not play Scribblenauts. Best game of all time? Jesus Christ, I don't know, maybe. It's a game that challenges your IMAGINATION. No other game has ever done that.

So listen to this story. I was in the early levels; I didn't quite have an idea of how ridiculously in-depth the database was. I was summoning things like ladders, glasses of water, rayguns, what have you. But I reached a level with zombie robots, and the zombie robots kept killing me. Rayguns didn't work, a torch didn't work, a pickaxe didn't work. In my frustration, I wrote in "Time Machine". And one popped up. What the fuck? A smile dawned on my face. I hopped in, and the option was given to me to either travel to the past or the future. I chose past. When I hopped out, there were fucking dinosaurs walking around. I clicked one, and realized I could RIDE THEM. So I hopped on a fucking DINOSAUR, traveled back to the present, and stomped the shit out of robot zombies. Did you just read that sentence? Did you really? I FUCKING TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERFUCKING ROBOT ZOMBIES. This game is unbelievable. Impossible. There's nothing you can't do.

Holy fucking shit. "
    This is all you need to know about this game.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By Claude
    @DrRandle said:
    " @AgentJ: Unfortunately I don't pay attention to forums. I'm not sure why exactly the blogs have to thread into the forums, other than I suppose for readability, but I write about what I write about regardless.And Milkman; this game makes sense. It just makes more sense than our pathetic earth-brains can handle. That doesn't mean it won't be fun, however. "

You should check the game forums you are posting to.

@AgentJ said:
    " Unfortunately, there are already at least two threads with the same video and much the same information "
    You should have put that on the game forum instead of the DS forum. Lies had a blog attached to the game forum two days after you. Here.

I always check the game forum first before posting.

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DrRandle
    @Crayola: Curiosity, who wrote that article?

Also, and this is just me being kind of a jerk, there are a couple other games that I would argue challenge your imagination: Mixed Messages and LOL on DS both kind of... but none are reflected as clearly and as awesomely as in this game.
    Avatar image for vitaminwateryum
    VitaminWaterYum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By VitaminWaterYum
    @DrRandle said:
    " @Crayola: Curiosity, who wrote that article?

Also, and this is just me being kind of a jerk, there are a couple other games that I would argue challenge your imagination: Mixed Messages and LOL on DS both kind of... but none are reflected as clearly and as awesomely as in this game. "
    It's a post from Neogaf, written by Feep.
    Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Lies
    @DrRandle said:
    " @AgentJ: Unfortunately I don't pay attention to forums. I'm not sure why exactly the blogs have to thread into the forums, other than I suppose for readability, but I write about what I write about regardless.And Milkman; this game makes sense. It just makes more sense than our pathetic earth-brains can handle. That doesn't mean it won't be fun, however. "
    You don't need to link your blogs to the forums. After clicking the "Post blog" button, the green box appears telling you it's been posted and asking which forum to cross-post to. Simply navigate away from this page. As long as the green box appears, the article has been posted to your blog- if you navigate away it won't go to the forums. As seemingly unfortunate as it is to moderate blogs like forum topics, the simple fact is that if it's posted to the forums it essentially acts as a forum topic, and having multiple threads on the same topic only serves to fragment the discussion.

And yes, Scribblenauts is rad, as I also blogged about. Can't wait to play it.
    DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DrRandle
    @Lies: *Shrugs* The way I see it, if it takes posting separate threads 100 times to make sure games like this get into people's hands, I don't see any harm in it. I only see good. But I'm also not a moderator who has to comb through these things. Word of mouth is the only power I have, and being some random joe-nobody on the net, it's not even that much of one. :/ I'm just doing what I can.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Claude
    @DrRandle said:
    " @Lies: *Shrugs* The way I see it, if it takes posting separate threads 100 times to make sure games like this get into people's hands, I don't see any harm in it. I only see good. But I'm also not a moderator who has to comb through these things. Word of mouth is the only power I have, and being some random joe-nobody on the net, it's not even that much of one. :/ I'm just doing what I can. "
    If you like the game that much, check the game page and click on forums. You might find some like minded people there.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AgentJ
    @Claude said:
    "
    @DrRandle said:

@AgentJ said:
    " Unfortunately, there are already at least two threads with the same video and much the same information "
    You should have put that on the game forum instead of the DS forum. Lies had a blog attached to the game forum two days after you. Here.I always check the game forum first before posting. "
    My post was more about how incredible it was that a DS game was outdoing console games in something like ambition, but the other one i linked is solidly in the Scribblenauts forum
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Claude
    @AgentJ said:
    "
    @Claude said:
    "
    @DrRandle said:

@AgentJ said:
    You should have put that on the game forum instead of the DS forum. Lies had a blog attached to the game forum two days after you. Here.I always check the game forum first before posting. "
    My post was more about how incredible it was that a DS game was outdoing console games in something like ambition, but the other one i linked is solidly in the Scribblenauts forum
    "
    I'm just a stick in the mud. If I want to know about Scribblenauts, I will look on the Game Page not the DS forums. I wish people could attach them to both forums. It would be much easier to find.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AgentJ
    @Claude said:
    "
    @AgentJ said:
    "
    @Claude said:
    "
    @DrRandle said:

@AgentJ said:
    "
    I'm just a stick in the mud. If I want to know about Scribblenauts, I will look on the Game Page not the DS forums. I wish people could attach them to both forums. It would be much easier to find. "
    Maybe someday our dream will become a reality. 
    DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DrRandle
    @Claude: Circling around with like-minded people doesn't serve my purpose of getting other people to buy this game. Anyone who goes to that forum, likely, is already psyched to get it or is at least interested. I'm trying to push the game towards people who have never even heard of it.

If I want to geek out about the game with somebody, usually my boyfriend and I have similar enough tastes that I can just talk to him about it.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Claude
    @DrRandle said:
    " @Claude: Circling around with like-minded people doesn't serve my purpose of getting other people to buy this game. Anyone who goes to that forum, likely, is already psyched to get it or is at least interested. I'm trying to push the game towards people who have never even heard of it.If I want to geek out about the game with somebody, usually my boyfriend and I have similar enough tastes that I can just talk to him about it. "
    I've thought about that. Most people in the know around Giant Bomb know how to find and create information. General Discussion would have seen more views, but that would be up to you. What of the lonely person who happens upon this site looking for a little DS love. Where do they go?
    DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DrRandle

Is there no way for them to just look up DS games specifically? Like I said I haven't explored the forums so I don't know, is there no console-specific break down? Or at least company specific? That is to say, of course, outside of those company/platforms pages?

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By TheGreatGuero

What concerns me here is how the actual game itself will hold up. All of its buzz comes from the fact that you can think of about anything, type it in, and it'll appear in the game and might even do certain tasks. That's awesome, by all means, and surely required an immensive amount of work. However, once you're done screwing around and trying to see how limitless this game is, how good will the core game be? Will it really offer much of a challenge at all? Since there are near-infinite solutions to the puzzles, will it be a game that people can just breeze through like nothing? Sure, there will be replayability just because of all the different ways you can go about doing something, but if the main game itself isn't too interesting, you probably won't find yourself beating it more than a few times.

Also, just as a side note, since it's on a Nintendo console, I think it'd be totally awesome if you could type in Nintendo character names and see them appear in-game. Wii remotes and nunchucks would also make for some pretty interesting weapons...

Avatar image for deactivated-59c96a6e99d9e
    deactivated-59c96a6e99d9e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@DrRandle said:

"

by Randy Marr

So what do you think? This game is easily on my top 5 games to get this year. (Maybe I'll make that list sometime here...)"My god can beat up your godMy god has told me so."Dennis DeYong - My God (Can Beat Up Your God) "
    Scribblenauts should not be compared to Fallout 3 or Infamous or any game with a morality system.  

Scribblenauts is not an open-world game.  

Scribblenauts is, however, a puzzle game with an infinite amount of solutions.  

It is also a videogame.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.