Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Scrolls

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Jun 03, 2013

A strategic collectible card game with a fantasy theme, created by Mojang AB.

Notch's Response to ZeniMax Lawsuit: I'll Play You For It

mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 4

Edited By mzuckerm

Full story here.  Shortened version: Notch is willing to put this all on a game of Quake 3.  If Bethesda wins, he'll change the name.  If Notch wins, he gets to keep it.  I like the idea, although I also think ZeniMax is really overzealous here in their trademark protection efforts.  As a practicing attorney, though, I would be completely shocked if anything came of this.  I can't imagine a legal department litigious enough to make the claims they've already made here would accept a resolution like this.

Edited.

Edited again.

mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mzuckerm

Full story here.  Shortened version: Notch is willing to put this all on a game of Quake 3.  If Bethesda wins, he'll change the name.  If Notch wins, he gets to keep it.  I like the idea, although I also think ZeniMax is really overzealous here in their trademark protection efforts.  As a practicing attorney, though, I would be completely shocked if anything came of this.  I can't imagine a legal department litigious enough to make the claims they've already made here would accept a resolution like this.

Edited.

Edited again.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

@mzuckerm said:

I like the idea, although I also think Bethesda is really overzealous here in their trademark protection efforts.

It's not Bethesda, it's ZeniMax.

I doubt anyone will take up this offer though.

mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mzuckerm
    @natetodamax: Edited, although I think it's a bit of a distinction without a difference.
    Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Subjugation

@mzuckerm said:

Full story here. Shortened version: Notch is willing to put this all on a game of Quake 3. If he wins, he'll change the name. If Bethesda wins, Notch gets to keep it.

Wait what? If Notch wins the match he loses the deal? Or did you jumble what you meant to say?

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By ryanwho

So stupid.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By hatking

Why is nobody addressing the fact that this could be the first time somebody plays Quake 3 in the past three years! 

EDIT: Nevermind, I was thinking of Quake 4.  That would be far better, in my opinion.

mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mzuckerm
    @weeman105: Yes, I've managed to fuck this post up pretty horribly.  I should have just posted the link and gotten out of the way.
    jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By jozzy
    SoylentGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By SoylentGreen

@mzuckerm said:

@natetodamax: Edited, although I think it's a bit of a distinction without a difference.

There is a difference, though. ZeniMax is a publisher that owns a ton of developers, like Bethesda and id. I'm pretty sure Bethesda had very little say in this matter.

The whole thing sucks, though. Trademarks are stupid, and they're doubly so for normal words like Scrolls, Edge and Trench.

mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mzuckerm
    @SoylentGreen: I doubt this was Bethesda's idea, but if they didn't like it I imagine they'd have some pull at ZeniMax.  ZeniMax doesn't own a ton of developers (on their website, they list 7, two of which are Bethesda).  Bethesda is a very large chunk of their business.  I'd be pretty surprised if senior management at Bethesda wasn't at least ok with this decision.

I can't say I agree that trademarks are stupid.  I think it's important for a company to be able to distinguish its goods and services properly.  I don't really want multiple companies being able to sell "Coca-Cola" to me; I'd probably end up buying fake Coke half the time and have it taste shitty (or at least as shitty as standard ripoff cola tastes).  However, trademark abuse (like what this appears to be) is very stupid.

That being said, clearly this topic has already been discussed in another thread.  I searched for a little while but didn't come up with anything, but feel free to head over there to discuss.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By natetodamax

I think he should change the name anyway. Scrolls is so incredibly vague and boring as a title for a video game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.