Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sega Genesis

Object » linked to 10 games

This page is for the Genesis/Mega Drive as it appears in video games.

My First Time

GurlNxtDoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Edited By GurlNxtDoor

The first time I played a video game console I was about six years old, it was a NES and the game was Super Mario Brothers. I was in my childhood friend, Andrew’s basement, and it was a magical day. So magical, in fact, I can look past all the other punk things that little boys do to “torture” little girls at that age, and even for leading me astray later on with his game system advice for me (but we’ll get to that in a minute). At the age of seven, one of my girl friends at school got a Nintendo for Christmas. Well, really, it was supposed to be shared by her and her younger brother, but when I came over to play after school, we took it over and pwned on Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt.

My parents finally realized that I should have my own game system; otherwise they would never see me again, as I would constantly be at my friends’ houses. So I got a Game Boy as a birthday gift. I enjoyed Tetris but I LOVED Paperboy. I only got a handful of games, because gaming was still sort of new to my parents and relatives and I couldn’t afford to buy my own on my $2-a-week allowance for doing my chores. Also, even as a seven-year-old, I balked at Nintendo’s attempt to appeal to girls with Barbie-themed platformers and my family's assumptions that I ever liked Barbie Dolls for more than a hot minute after they bought me Barbie Game Girl. Oh, don’t get me wrong, I played the hell out of that game simply because I was addicted to games, but even at the tender age of 7, I knew how ridiculous it was. Maybe at a later date I will go into how dumb the game actually was, but for now, this is my story about growing up as a girl gamer before “girl gamer” was a thing, or at least before I knew it was a thing.

My first console was a Sega Genesis. This goes back to Andrew. He was tired of his NES (why, I know not) and wanted to get rid of it/sell it to get a Sega Genesis. I tried to convince my parents to buy his NES and they seriously considered it, until (bum-bum-bum) Andrew convinced me that I would be stupid to want his NES and I should get a Sega too. Well, as a scrawny little tomboy growing up in a world where I already felt the need to prove myself just so the boys would let me play Ninja Turtles, American Gladiators, video games, and go sledding down the big hills with them, I wanted so badly to have the best console to run with the big dogs. (This was my first introduction to the budding console war of the 90’s.)

Amazingly, “Santa” brought me my Sega Genesis for Christmas in 1993. It was a glorious morning filled with glorious Sonic the Hedgehog. I couldn’t tell you any other presents I got on Christmas that year. I do know that when my parents separated (and later divorced) not-too-long after that Christmas, gaming became an outlet and a comfort to me by means of escape and venting my frustration. Even when the kids who had SNESes were snubbing me, I still felt a loyalty to my Genesis. It was my first. To this day, my Genesis and all of my games I saved up money so diligently to buy are sitting safely in a drawer under my PS3, XBOX360, NES, SNES, and GameCube on the entertainment unit in my living room, where we break out the oldies every now and then to relive some happy childhood memories.

So, how long have I been a girl gamer? I think I was always a gamer; the video game medium just wasn’t readily available to me right out of the womb like it is for kids today. (Did I just say “kids today”? Sorry, that was my inner grandma speaking.) My gaming days started out with Ernie's Big Splash, Candy Land and UNO, but have grown to encompass a slew of console, PC, and tabletop games (including ye olde D&D.)

GurlNxtDoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By GurlNxtDoor

The first time I played a video game console I was about six years old, it was a NES and the game was Super Mario Brothers. I was in my childhood friend, Andrew’s basement, and it was a magical day. So magical, in fact, I can look past all the other punk things that little boys do to “torture” little girls at that age, and even for leading me astray later on with his game system advice for me (but we’ll get to that in a minute). At the age of seven, one of my girl friends at school got a Nintendo for Christmas. Well, really, it was supposed to be shared by her and her younger brother, but when I came over to play after school, we took it over and pwned on Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt.

My parents finally realized that I should have my own game system; otherwise they would never see me again, as I would constantly be at my friends’ houses. So I got a Game Boy as a birthday gift. I enjoyed Tetris but I LOVED Paperboy. I only got a handful of games, because gaming was still sort of new to my parents and relatives and I couldn’t afford to buy my own on my $2-a-week allowance for doing my chores. Also, even as a seven-year-old, I balked at Nintendo’s attempt to appeal to girls with Barbie-themed platformers and my family's assumptions that I ever liked Barbie Dolls for more than a hot minute after they bought me Barbie Game Girl. Oh, don’t get me wrong, I played the hell out of that game simply because I was addicted to games, but even at the tender age of 7, I knew how ridiculous it was. Maybe at a later date I will go into how dumb the game actually was, but for now, this is my story about growing up as a girl gamer before “girl gamer” was a thing, or at least before I knew it was a thing.

My first console was a Sega Genesis. This goes back to Andrew. He was tired of his NES (why, I know not) and wanted to get rid of it/sell it to get a Sega Genesis. I tried to convince my parents to buy his NES and they seriously considered it, until (bum-bum-bum) Andrew convinced me that I would be stupid to want his NES and I should get a Sega too. Well, as a scrawny little tomboy growing up in a world where I already felt the need to prove myself just so the boys would let me play Ninja Turtles, American Gladiators, video games, and go sledding down the big hills with them, I wanted so badly to have the best console to run with the big dogs. (This was my first introduction to the budding console war of the 90’s.)

Amazingly, “Santa” brought me my Sega Genesis for Christmas in 1993. It was a glorious morning filled with glorious Sonic the Hedgehog. I couldn’t tell you any other presents I got on Christmas that year. I do know that when my parents separated (and later divorced) not-too-long after that Christmas, gaming became an outlet and a comfort to me by means of escape and venting my frustration. Even when the kids who had SNESes were snubbing me, I still felt a loyalty to my Genesis. It was my first. To this day, my Genesis and all of my games I saved up money so diligently to buy are sitting safely in a drawer under my PS3, XBOX360, NES, SNES, and GameCube on the entertainment unit in my living room, where we break out the oldies every now and then to relive some happy childhood memories.

So, how long have I been a girl gamer? I think I was always a gamer; the video game medium just wasn’t readily available to me right out of the womb like it is for kids today. (Did I just say “kids today”? Sorry, that was my inner grandma speaking.) My gaming days started out with Ernie's Big Splash, Candy Land and UNO, but have grown to encompass a slew of console, PC, and tabletop games (including ye olde D&D.)

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
    James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By James_Giant_Peach

JESUS CHRIST FORMATTING IS A THING FOR A REASON.

DarkShaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By DarkShaper
    @James_Giant_Peach

JESUS CHRIST FORMATTING IS A THING FOR A REASON.

You think you have it bad? Try reading it on an iPhone.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By MikkaQ

Yeah paragraphs are you friend.

Anyway don't see how you were lead astray by Andrew, the Genesis was the better of the two.

As I was a child at the time too, I didn't want those long, boring JRPGs, I wanted the near-perfect arcade ports, so Genesis all the waaaay.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

@MikkaQ said:

Anyway don't see how you were lead astray by Andrew, the Genesis was the better of the two.

Fuck that, SNES is best. The only exception that I care to think of right now is Aladdin; the Genesis wins that fight.

GurlNxtDoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GurlNxtDoor

Sorry about burning your eyes out of your head with lack of paragraphs. Internet explorer shit the bed and I had to switch web browsers. Should be fixed now! Thanks for reading.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ravenlight

@Video_Game_King said:

Fuck that, SNES is best. The only exception that I care to think of right now is Aladdin; the Genesis wins that fight.

Genesis had Cyborg Justice. Ergo, Genesis > SNES.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Ravenlight:

By that logic, I could make the SNES better by taking a dump on it.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By Dagbiker

I cant tell if this is a troll.

GurlNxtDoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GurlNxtDoor

@Dagbiker: I can't tell if I just inadvertently reignited the SNES v. Genesis cold war again...

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MikkaQ

@Ravenlight said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Genesis had Cyborg Justice. Ergo, Genesis > SNES.

Not to mention Vectorman, The Punisher, Streets of Rage II, and MK games with the blood Boon intended.

Plus I don't need no fancy SNES JRPGs anyway when I got Lunar and Phantasy Star.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Video_Game_King

@MikkaQ:

Sega CD doesn't count.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MikkaQ

@Video_Game_King said:

@MikkaQ:

Sega CD doesn't count.

Oh it do does. I'll count Satellaview to be fair.

-snicker-

JarretttheGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By JarretttheGuy

How about the 32X?

Does playing Sonic 2 using Sonic and Knuckles count as a different experience? But by this logic, playing something on the game genie would count as different. . . . kinda. . . my mind is exploding.

If variety is the spice of life, then the Genesis is the Spice Islands of consoles.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.