What's your favorite Genesis/Mega Drive music?

#1 Edited by ultimatepunchrod (336 posts) -
#2 Posted by uniform (1836 posts) -

The first stage of Altered Beast. Rise from your grave.

#3 Edited by dirkfunk (175 posts) -

Streets of Rage 2.

#4 Posted by Elyk247 (369 posts) -
#5 Edited by MightyDuck (1523 posts) -

For me?

Sonic 1 - especially the Spring Yard Zone and pretty much anything from Streets of Rage 1 and 2.

#6 Posted by PilotXIan (103 posts) -

Streets of Rage 2 Intro song! Without a doubt!

#7 Posted by falserelic (5464 posts) -

@dirkfunk said:

Streets of Rage 2.

This.

I love the Streets of Rage 2 themes its just to smooth. 3 songs always comes to mind for me, the third one is from the remake.

#8 Posted by RuthLoose (820 posts) -
#9 Posted by falserelic (5464 posts) -

It just dawned on me that this is an old thread..

#10 Edited by LimpingFish (80 posts) -
#11 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
#12 Edited by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

People tend to go for Koshiro's work on SoR, but I prefer the soundtrack he did for Revenge of Shinobi.

Also really like the music on Snatcher.

#13 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1188 posts) -
#14 Edited by falserelic (5464 posts) -

@evilnights said:

People tend to go for Koshiro's work on SoR, but I prefer the soundtrack he did for Revenge of Shinobi.

Also really like the music on Snatcher.

Damn, I'm surprised I forgot all about the aswome music in shinobi. Return of the ninja master got some cool tunes too. I still remember that badass intro song, and the first stage theme. It made you feel like a badass ninja going on an epic adventure.

I remember I had a few moments getting my ass kicked in this game. That one stage where you had to jump on rocks while fallen, pissed me off to an extreme. Still this was one of my favorite sega games. It would be cool to see a remake..

#15 Posted by Zeik (2537 posts) -

The battle music from the circus level in Shining Force is probably the piece of music that is the most synonymous with my childhood. Just listening to it makes me want to play it again.

#16 Posted by RecSpec (3851 posts) -

Gauntlet IV had some awesome music.

#17 Edited by falserelic (5464 posts) -

Alien Soldier has some nice tunes aswell. On top of that the game was hardcore, and insane at times. Still I had loads of fun with this game. Hell seeing a remake of this game would be cool.

Damn, I'm starting to suffer from nostalgia at the moment.

#18 Posted by Sinusoidal (1653 posts) -

You can't just rule out Sonic:

Here's 30 minutes of the Mystic Cave Zone.

#19 Posted by falserelic (5464 posts) -

@sinusoidal: Yep, old-school Sonic always been the best.

#21 Edited by mellotronrules (1222 posts) -

this piece from Combat Cars is unbelievably good. 100% of the era in pop music (techno/rave), and no chiptune band could ever hope to sound as legit. no seriously, there's like- breakbeats and stuff. and plus it's just got tons of that killer genesis buzzsaw synth.

#22 Edited by jeffrud (387 posts) -

The intro music to Mutant League Football is my favorite showcase of the Sega's sound capabilities, warts and all. The nasty, distorted nature of the system's sound only aids in making this nasty piece of synth rock even dirtier. Masterpiece.

#23 Edited by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

Completely forgot about Comix Zone. Probably not that great really, but a decent attempt to give it a mid 90s grunge feel...

I remember the game came with a CD, which I rather foolishly gave away. Argh.

#24 Posted by falserelic (5464 posts) -

Golden Axe 2 another one of the great ones. The songs of the game definitely fit the vibe.

#25 Posted by Freshbandito (689 posts) -

always had a soft spot for the chuck rock menu theme.

#26 Edited by SaltyPancakes (110 posts) -

Easily the best music ever made, it's for the Master System but I don't care!

#27 Edited by Buttenator (189 posts) -

#28 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

#29 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

#30 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1786 posts) -

@dirkfunk said:

Streets of Rage 2.

This is answer to pretty much all videogame music questions.

#31 Edited by YummyTreeSap (313 posts) -

One of my favorite tracks from one of hardest, darkest series on the system. I just adore how goddamn grim the two Ecco games are. I always envision parents buying this game for their children because, hey, a dolphin, how cute. Kid boots it up, starts swimming around with some other dolphins, weee. Then all the life gets sucked out of the ocean and the game is all like "ALL YOUR FRIENDS ARE GONE AND THE FUTURE IS BLEAK AND YOU ARE ALONE, SO ALONE."

Just the best.

#32 Posted by mason20 (159 posts) -

Some thaat are not mentioned here but I'll add. Gaiares, Shadow Blaster, Castlevania Bloodlines, and The Golden Axe games

#33 Posted by Laiv162560asse (487 posts) -

Golden Axe and Toejam & Earl have been mentioned so it has to be Road Rash 1 & 2 for me:

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.