"Must Own" Sega Saturn games?

#1 Posted by C0V3RT (1336 posts) -

Recently I took to organizing all my old video game consoles and games and came across my old Dreamcast and Saturn. I got all nostalgic and spent some time getting some of the essentials for the Dreamcast that I missed out on (being a teenager with little disposable income sucked!) which was pretty easy to do. While there's still a couple games I'm keeping an eye open for, I'm stumped as to what were some of the essential Saturn games.

I was the kid that asked for a Saturn instead of a Playstation. D'oh! My library consists of the three pack-in games Virtua Cop, Virtua Fighter 2, and Daytona USA. The only retail game I own is WWF In Your House. I know NiGHTS is probably on the list, but what were some of the other Saturn games I should look into getting?

#2 Posted by egg (1450 posts) -

Nights, Sega Rally, Darius Gaiden, if you need more ideas look here

If you do get Nights be sure to get the 3D controller to go with it.

#3 Edited by joshthebear (2700 posts) -
#4 Posted by casper_ (901 posts) -

looking at that list i remember shining force being pretty rad. and all those am2 fighters are cool as well.

if at all possible get Snatcher. its a bladerunner-esque kojima game and its preposterous.

#5 Posted by iceman228433 (572 posts) -

I really want to play Shining Force 3 but it is kind of expensive.

#6 Posted by Daveyo520 (6651 posts) -

If it has FMV get it.

#7 Posted by Largo6661 (332 posts) -

Panzer Dragoon Saga and Burning Rangers are both cool as hell but they might be hard (or expensive) to buy.

#8 Posted by PandaBear (1295 posts) -

So not to be a bandwagon jumper, and Nights is an important game historically, but it's garbage. It's not actually fun, it just looked cool once.

#9 Posted by cosi83 (392 posts) -

Policenauts

#10 Posted by Taku128 (787 posts) -

Sonic R

#11 Edited by egg (1450 posts) -

@PandaBear said:

So not to be a bandwagon jumper, and Nights is an important game historically, but it's garbage. It's not actually fun, it just looked cool once.

too bad, he's still getting Nights

and when he does he will form his own opinion on it, lol

#12 Edited by KittyVonDoom (445 posts) -

Everything I know about the Saturn I learned from Classic Game Room, so I recommend this playlist:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL40B6CF943426F56F

So, if you like top down shooters, the Saturn is pretty awesome. My only advice on what NOT to get would be... don't bother with Nights Into Dreams unless you're way into bizarre Sega tech demos.

#13 Posted by PandaBear (1295 posts) -

@egg said:

@PandaBear said:

too bad, he's still getting Nights

and when he does he will form his own opinion on it, lol

Well you sure told me LOL

#14 Posted by L44 (548 posts) -

Guardian Heroes is a must.

#15 Posted by AmatureIdiot (1061 posts) -
#16 Posted by Coombs (3449 posts) -

@egg said:

Ummm.... really Nights?

The saturn version is later into the video

#17 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7039 posts) -

Don't get Nights. It's barely worth playing as a curiosity. Not worth spending the money or time looking for it.

#18 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -
#19 Edited by egg (1450 posts) -

@Coombs said:

@egg said:

Ummm.... really Nights?

The saturn version is later into the video

I watched 4 minutes 30 seconds of it before I could take no more

This vid is just amazingly ignorant. But nevermind that for a second. Why would anyone even bother going back to playing Saturn games like OP is, if they were just eager to bash games of the time and specifically to to marvel at how terrible Sega games are? Why would someone go as far as to revisit the Saturn, and all the games they missed, only to not get Nights all because someone on the internet said Nights is (lol) overrated?

As for the video, yea I guess Saturn is a total load of crap and anyone who likes Nights is stupid. Why even bother, OP? :p

edit: Just wanted to say that I am not watching GB quicklooks from now on. (well not that I actively watched them to begin with.. but I wasn't against watching them as I am with reviews, at least not until now)

And Coombs, I have the impression that you are someone who probably has never even heard of Nights until you saw the quicklook.

#20 Edited by HarlechQuinn (444 posts) -
#21 Posted by Mesoian (1572 posts) -

PAnzar Dragoon 1,2,Saga

Dragon Force

Burning Rangers

Guardian Heros

NiGHTS

#22 Posted by razkazz (169 posts) -

@Taku128 said:

Sonic R

Definitely one of the Saturn games I had the most fun with. :D

#23 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2484 posts) -

Helpful thread, since I bought a used Sega Saturn with a copy of Die Hard Arcade today for $30 from a dude on CL. Excited to get home and try it out after work. I definitely want to pick up Panzer Dragoon Sonic R at some point if I can score copies at a decent price.

#24 Posted by Video_Game_King (35802 posts) -

Panzer Dragoon Saga. The hell out of Panzer Dragoon Saga.

#25 Edited by lord_canti (1503 posts) -

I havent played it my self but I remember people saying burning rangers is good

#26 Posted by Nezza (331 posts) -

Sega Rally was awesome. Probably the best racer of its type at the time, but not as good as the absolutely brilliant Manx TT. But then I am biased by being both a) a biker and b) British and therefore having a special place in my heart for the IOM TT. I remember Die Hard Trilogy being good, as was Time Crisis and Virtua Cop if you have the light-gun. Worms was always great with friends and although everyone associates it with the PlayStation, Wipeout was also on Saturn.

Now I'm feeling nostalgic and wishing I had a copy of Manx TT.

#27 Edited by punkxblaze (2948 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.