old classic

#1 Posted by jazin (46 posts) -

I grew up loving this game and streets of rage 1 was my very first game for the Sega Genisis but Im not really sure if its gonna really hold up besides the fond memories of it.

#2 Posted by Cincaid (2958 posts) -

Final Fight (in the Double Impact release) held up really well, but it was a LOT shorter than I remembered it. Probably because you wasn't hindered by the amount of loose change in your pockets. :)

#3 Posted by jazin (46 posts) -

lol yea true true lol

#4 Posted by aseddon130 (65 posts) -

To me this game is timeless and will never show it's age and be crap, unlike many other games from this era.

Excited to play this again.

#5 Posted by GunstarRed (5306 posts) -

The worst thing about the collection is that all three games are already bundled with a ton of other games in that sonic genesis/mega drive collection and this really wasn't needed. Streets of Rage 2 still fucking rules though.

#6 Posted by killacam (1285 posts) -

great games, but are wayy shorter than i remember them to be. the first was like, an hour.

#7 Posted by BonOrbitz (2216 posts) -

I bought a Sega Genesis back in the day just for this game. SoR I and II hold up very well. The game just "feels" great, controls well, and the music is just as awesome as it was back in the day.

My favorite Streets of Rage experience is Streets of Rage Remake, a huge fan-made project eight years in the making. Sega shut it down last year, but it's complete and one could (and should) find it.

#8 Posted by zigx (76 posts) -

Streets of Rage 2 holds up the best in my eyes. I pop it in from time to time, since I got it when Sega first released it individually, I've still yet to beat it on Mania difficulty. Some sound emulation doesn't sound quite right, but that's to be expected I think with any kind of old video game port. Any word on the pricing of this collection though? That may be a deal breaker.

#9 Posted by sickVisionz (1268 posts) -

SoR was the first game I got for my Genesis back in the early 90s. It still holds up mainly because there are so many attacks per character and you be stylish with it if you want to, unlike other beat-em-ups that have a really limited moveset.

3 is my favorite though. The graphics are awesome, the music is insane, and the gameplay is the pinnacle of the genre imo. It's stupid hard though.

Having said that, I don't know if I'd buy them unless you always have friends over at your house or they come with online multiplayer. These games are cool in single player but soooo much better co-op.

#10 Edited by Yummylee (22067 posts) -

Been looking forward to being able to play Streets of Rage again! And this time I can finally go back to playing as Adam instead of vicariously playing Streets of Rage 2 to get my fix =X. Don't get me wrong, SoR2 is fantastic - it just wasn't the SoR game I was invested in during my childhood. Now if only we could get Die Hard Arcade put up on xbox live...

#11 Edited by InfiniteSpark (314 posts) -

I'll be passing up on this since I already the three SoR games through the Sega Ultimate Collection compilation. I wonder if the Vintage Collection will have co-op online or not. [EDIT: It does.] SoR 2 remains my favorite out of the three. Loved 1 as well but didn't enjoy 3.

#12 Posted by Whampire (58 posts) -

I'm just looking forward to getting back to beating the shit out of people with that fucking kangaroo.

#13 Edited by Arach666 (73 posts) -

@BonOrbitz said:

I bought a Sega Genesis back in the day just for this game. SoR I and II hold up very well. The game just "feels" great, controls well, and the music is just as awesome as it was back in the day.

My favorite Streets of Rage experience is Streets of Rage Remake, a huge fan-made project eight years in the making. Sega shut it down last year, but it's complete and one could (and should) find it.

Yeah,these days when I want my SoR fix I always go to SoRRemake,the old ones I still love but I rarely played them after Remake came out tbh.

#14 Posted by WarlordPayne (701 posts) -

Streets of Rage 1 is okay, it's better than a lot of beat em ups but it's not great. Streets of Rage 2 is still an amazing game.

Anyone who is really into SoR should give Dungeon Fighter Online a look. It's a brawler with a bunch of Diablo elements(loot, experience, skills) and it's the only brawler I've played that can compare to the fun I've had with SoR2.

#15 Posted by Raye (45 posts) -

I always go back and replay the Streets of Rage games. Shame I've already got this on the Genesis Collection. Kind of digging the way Sega is packaging these classics and giving them some decent emulation. 'Dat soundtrack, man. 'Dat soundtrack...

#16 Posted by Mezmero (1967 posts) -

I tried doing the Roo code on the title screen of Streets of Rage 3.... then my xbox red ringed. D:

#17 Posted by ZenGaijin (125 posts) -

Everytime I think about playing these old games I realize I have Streets of Rage: Remake and that its basically all 3 games combined.

#18 Posted by LegendaryChopChop (1215 posts) -

The games are still good, but I'd be lying if I said I'd ever be itching to play them again.

But... That music...

#19 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Apparently it's the first worldwide release of the uncensored Bare Knuckle III? This is insane. I have to buy this.

#20 Posted by KaneRobot (1689 posts) -

@Mezmero said:

I tried doing the Roo code on the title screen of Streets of Rage 3.... then my xbox red ringed. D:

Sorry to hear that, but it's actually kind of awesome.

Would love to get this but I already bought the standalone XBLA SoR 2 release years ago, so it's going to take a sale for me to purchase this.

#21 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2363 posts) -

Has SoR 2 been delisted from xbox live arcade? I purchased it a few years ago and now I haven't seen it since this collection was release.

#22 Posted by MikkaQ (10318 posts) -

Streets of Rage 2 is still the best beat-em-up made, period. Poasibly has the best soundtrack of the 16-bit era. But I have it on Genesis and I don't think I care enough about 1&3 to buy them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.