Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sega

Company »

Sega is a long-running Japanese company responsible for arcade hits like Space Harrier, home consoles like the Dreamcast, and franchises such as Sonic the Hedgehog.

Dreamcast VGA Adapter

snake911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

Edited By snake911

I recently got myself a Dreamcast and I love it!  However, I noticed how horrible it looked when it was plugged into an HDTV via composite cables (the yellow, red, and white cables).  The colors of the video looked very washed out and the sharpness was very cruddy.  It was so bad that I even considered not playing it on an HDTV because it looked so terrible!  I needed a solution, so I checked the web to see what was out there.

VGA input on my HDTV
    VGA input on my HDTV

Luckily, Sega was on top of it when they designed the Dreamcast because they also made the system compatible with VGA (way ahead of its time when considering that the Dreamcast came out in the US in 1999).  This was great news for me because my HDTV has a VGA input.  I found a store on EBay called fourtriangles and they sold their version of the VGA cable for a little over $13.00.  After testing it out, I’m happy to say that it works…beautifully!  WOW!  You can see every marvelous pixel on the screen!  The sharpness is fantastic and the colors are vivid and pop out right at ya!

VGA adapter from fourtriangles

There is, however, a negative side to outputting your video via VGA.  Not all games are compatible with VGA output.  The upside to this is that only a small amount of games are branded as not compatible.  Check out a compatibility list by clicking here.

I took some screenshots comparing the video output between the composite and VGA cables.  The pictures were taken with my digital camera and not with some type of throughput capture device.  Yes, this means I took pictures of the display from the HDTV.  Even though I took the comparison images this way, you can still see a significant difference of output quality between the two types of cables.  View the full gallery of comparison images by clicking here (check out the original sizes to see the true details).

Test 1 with composite
    Test 1 with composite
    Test 1 with VGA
    Test 1 with VGA

Original Size of image for test 1 with composite

Original Size of image for test 1 with VGA

Test 3 with composite
    Test 3 with composite
    Test 3 with VGA
    Test 3 with VGA

Original Size of image for test 3 with composite

Original Size of image for test 3 with VGA

Later!

snake911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By snake911

I recently got myself a Dreamcast and I love it!  However, I noticed how horrible it looked when it was plugged into an HDTV via composite cables (the yellow, red, and white cables).  The colors of the video looked very washed out and the sharpness was very cruddy.  It was so bad that I even considered not playing it on an HDTV because it looked so terrible!  I needed a solution, so I checked the web to see what was out there.

VGA input on my HDTV
    VGA input on my HDTV

Luckily, Sega was on top of it when they designed the Dreamcast because they also made the system compatible with VGA (way ahead of its time when considering that the Dreamcast came out in the US in 1999).  This was great news for me because my HDTV has a VGA input.  I found a store on EBay called fourtriangles and they sold their version of the VGA cable for a little over $13.00.  After testing it out, I’m happy to say that it works…beautifully!  WOW!  You can see every marvelous pixel on the screen!  The sharpness is fantastic and the colors are vivid and pop out right at ya!

There is, however, a negative side to outputting your video via VGA.  Not all games are compatible with VGA output.  The upside to this is that only a small amount of games are branded as not compatible.  Check out a compatibility list by clicking here.

I took some screenshots comparing the video output between the composite and VGA cables.  The pictures were taken with my digital camera and not with some type of throughput capture device.  Yes, this means I took pictures of the display from the HDTV.  Even though I took the comparison images this way, you can still see a significant difference of output quality between the two types of cables.  View the full gallery of comparison images by clicking here (check out the original sizes to see the true details).

Test 1 with composite
    Test 1 with composite
    Test 1 with VGA
    Test 1 with VGA

Original Size of image for test 1 with composite

Original Size of image for test 1 with VGA

Test 3 with composite
    Test 3 with composite
    Test 3 with VGA
    Test 3 with VGA

Original Size of image for test 3 with composite

Original Size of image for test 3 with VGA

Later!

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By raven_squad

Neat. I'll have to try to get my hands on one of the VGA adapters. Ever since I bought my HDTV ive just been settling for the shoddy video quality when I want to revisit some of my Dreamcast favorites. 

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By LiquidPrince

Ahh, Dreamcast...

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Emilio

Man... I wish my TV had VGA. I just have to do with S-Video for now. :(

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Linkyshinks

I have one and use it all the time. My VGA adapter has the other inputs also including a stereo speaker output, so if you are playing a game that happens not to be compatible, which is rare, you can still play it. Most of the Japanese games I own are VGA compatible.

Vista Gaming VGA Adapter
    Vista Gaming VGA Adapter

Here is a pic of Project Justice Rival Schools 2 on my monitor, the clarity is awesome-

caption
    caption

Lemegeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Lemegeton

i remember when i had my dreamcast and i wanted to play it on my monitor i went looking for a vga adapter. i went into one store and asked about them and the woman looked at me as if i had just asked her for the location of the Holy Grail.
    didn't have a notion what i was talking about, lol.

it was a great peripheral and defo ahead of its time, much like the system was

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Linkyshinks

OK, so that link does not work, the compatibility list link. I have looked on the net and cannot find one. GB should definitely have that on site. The old Racketboy link is dead, which I am guessing is what the OP used.  If anyone can obtain the list could you please add it to the Dreamcast page.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Emilio
    Linkyshinks said:
    "OK, so that link does not work, the compatibility list link. I have looked on the net and cannot find one. GB should definitely have that on site. The old Racketboy link is dead, which I am guessing is what the OP used.  If anyone can obtain the list could you please add it to the Dreamcast page."
    The link works. I'm on it right now.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Linkyshinks

Where does it take you, what site?, because I am not moving off this page.

EDIT:

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By oldschool

It took me to racketboy.com with the list of games.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Emilio
    Linkyshinks said:
    "Where does it take you, what site?, because I am not moving off this page."
    Well the link takes me to the list of games. PM'ed anywayz.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By oldschool

It took me to       www.racketboy.com/retro/2006/05/dreamcast-vga-cable-compatibility-list.html 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.