Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Senjo no Valkyria 3: Unrecorded Chronicles

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jan 27, 2011

The third installment in the Valkyria Chronicles franchise returns to the PSP with a brand new cast and a story set during the same period as the first Valkyria Chronicles.

Wow, I totally just found out that this isn't getting a port.

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Jaktajj

I think of games released in the last 5 years, Valkyria Chronicles stands pretty much at my number one. I finally managed to get hold of a working PsP this weekend and start sinking my teeth into Valkyria Chronicles 2 at long last.

I had remember mention of VC3 coming out in Japan at the beginning of this year and thought i'd check up on when it's being released in Europe/USA and found out that they've got no plans to do any such thing. Man, it's so frustrating watching an amazing series going from bad to worse. First terrible sales, then a change to PSP - (despite this, it holds up really well on the PSP and they even did a whole bunch of DLC for both games) and now the third game isn't even getting released over here.

Man, it sucks to be a Valkyria Chronicles fan. :( Has anyone who doesn't speak Japanese had any luck with playing an imported copy? I imagine you have to have a pretty good grasp of the language to get anywhere in it...

Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Shady

I believe Sega has go on record stating they have no plans to bring anymore PSP games to the US or Europe.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By endaround

The best one can hope for is a quick Vita port at this point.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#4  Edited By Icemael

I think you mean localization, not port.

But yeah, it sucks. The first game I loved, the second wasn't nearly as good (partly because of hardware limitations, partly because of poor design), and the third I can't even play because it wasn't released outside Japan. It's especially disappointing when you consider how cool Sega have been in recent years. From what I've heard even their Sonic games have become better.

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Jaktajj

@Shady:@endaround: Ahhhh, that makes sense. That's actually quite good news - I guess they wouldn't release it with the Vita on the horizon! Hopefully we'll see it somewhere down the line... At this point though i'd just settle for a free booklet or something that comes with the Japanese version that just explains the basics of the UI in English! xD I'm giving serious thought to actually importing for the hell of it anyway!

@Icemael: Ah yes, I did mean localization! I've only just started the second (was waiting til I was completely done with the first to get into it.............except i'm still not done with the first - so many good missions) and the second game seems to stand up pretty well to the challenge of limitations. Really enjoying it so far. Although I've A-ranked every mission so far, so I'm looking forward to it getting tougher and seeing how the new classes fit in!

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By Chris2KLee

I'm also enjoying 2, and it's a shame that we won't see 3 be localized, but at the same time I would love them to go back and make a big home system release. I want to see this series on my big screen TV again!

Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Shakezula84

My hope is maybe a trilogy pack for PS3/Vita (or duology) with the games remade with trophy support.

My hope of course may never happen. I read it was poor sales of 2 that is keeping 3 in Japan (in Japan of course releasing on PSP was a great move) but 1 didn't sell well over here either.

Shun_Akiyama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Shun_Akiyama
    @Shakezula84 said:
    My hope is maybe a trilogy pack for PS3/Vita (or duology) with the games remade with trophy support. My hope of course may never happen. I read it was poor sales of 2 that is keeping 3 in Japan (in Japan of course releasing on PSP was a great move) but 1 didn't sell well over here either.
    I'd pay $60 for VC HD collection
    Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Contrarian

It does indeed suck. Japanese games with a chance of a some, but not a lot of demand in the west should just have English subtitles and let the gamers import. No-one gets hurt and it would cost very little to add the subtitles. I want to learn Japanese, but I just don't have the time or patience.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By SlightConfuse

I would love it if they just had english subtitles.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By zaccheus

@Shun_Akiyama said:

@Shakezula84 said:
    My hope is maybe a trilogy pack for PS3/Vita (or duology) with the games remade with trophy support. My hope of course may never happen. I read it was poor sales of 2 that is keeping 3 in Japan (in Japan of course releasing on PSP was a great move) but 1 didn't sell well over here either.
    I'd pay $60 for VC HD collection

I have been playing the first one through this week and enjoyed the hell out of it. I seriously found myself checking PSP prices so I could play the second one, but I don't have enough money to do that. I'd love it if 2 and 3 would come to the PS3 in any form.

As a side note, if I really like VC is there any other turn based strategy game I might also like? I haven't really explored this genre other than the Fallout games. The new XCOM might be good at least.

Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Shakezula84
    @Zaccheus Games on that play exactly like this are hard to find. I think VC was new to the party.

For turn based strategy id say maybe disgea might be worth checking out. Other then that options are slim on PS3. Unless your lucky enough to have a backwards compatible 60Gig system. PS2 had some gems.

Also if you have a computer that can do the most basic of gaming, the original XCOM is a blast. You can get it off Steam and it has a built in Windows emulator in it so it runs great (it looks awful, but I still enjoy going back to it).
    zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By zaccheus

@Shakezula84: Thanks, I actually did some digging on Disgaea after that post and it just seems way too intense for me. Like I said I'm no strategy gamer and Disgaea really seems like the deep end of the pool. Same goes for XCOM.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#14  Edited By StarvingGamer
    Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Gaff

@Zaccheus said:

@Shakezula84: Thanks, I actually did some digging on Disgaea after that post and it just seems way too intense for me. Like I said I'm no strategy gamer and Disgaea really seems like the deep end of the pool. Same goes for XCOM.

This is going to sound odd in a time that most video games seem to be made from the same mold, but Valkyria Chronicles is rather unique in the way it combines turn-based strategy and real-time movement / action. And even more so since Turn-based games have never really made the leap to the next generation. There are the Disgaea / Nippon Ichi games but... yeah, the deep end of the pool. Also, scratch Final Fantasy Tactics off the list: The PS1 original suffers from a dismal localization, while the War of the Lions PSP version is marred by terrible load times. Also, notoriously breakable and unforgiving.

Judging by your platform of choice, PS3?

• Front Mission 3: If my memory doesn't fail me, this game was fairly beginner friendly. The mechanics of the combat were pretty straightforward, but it had enough depth to satisfy the grognards. Should be available on PSN under PS1 Classics.
    • Ring of Red: Not a game I got into at the time, but the game has its fans. The same combination of turn-based / real-time combat, steampunk, alternate history setting. Be wary though: from all accounts, it's slow as hell. Apparently available on PSN too, North American release only. Damn Yanks.

As most people have said, tactical turn-based RPGs have mostly stayed on the handhelds, so something like Advance Wars for the Nintendo handhelds, or maybe something like Yggdra Union for GBA / PSP.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By zaccheus

@Gaff: So my choices are pretty slim. I guess I wait for the new XCOM and see how that goes. It really seems like a game for me with its spanking visuals and what is probably going to be a dumbed down combat system for the hardcore people.

Thanks for taking the time and making such an well structured post for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.