Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Feb 28, 2013

The busty ninja girls of Senran Kagura come to the Vita, with Dynasty Warriors-esque gameplay and competitive multiplayer.

Coming to the Vita this fall in North America.

• 66 results
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By musubi

Announced just a few days ago it will be released as a downloadable game this fall. Also there will be a limited print of a physical version complete with a soundtrack and a “Shinobi Syllabus,” containing profiles of the game’s characters along with strategies and illustrations.

Here is a trailer of all the clothes shredding action coming this fall:

I was debating on importing this but hey, this works too. I'll try to nab the physical copy if I can. The extra stuff sounds nice. And it will give me something else to play on the vita.

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By baka_shinji17

Yes! Even though I don't have a Vita, I might just buy this to support the series. I have Senran Kagura Burst on 3DS. I liked it for the most part, though due to the repetition it is not really a game to play for more than a few minutes at a time. Still, any SK news is good news to me.

By the way, have you seen the anime? I heard it wasn't the greatest thing but still kinda fun.

Edit: Actually watched the trailer. God I want those mini-figs so bad!

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ervonymous

It's a huge improvement over Burst, disregard the change from 2D perspective to 3D. You're still mainly dialing in two button combos, air-dashing and busting out super moves but the characters feel more unique whereas in Burst only Mirai stood out. Especially Katsuragi and Yozakura's charge moves spice up the combat.

By the way, have you seen the anime? I heard it wasn't the greatest thing but still kinda fun.

Edit: Actually watched the trailer. God I want those mini-figs so bad!

The anime isn't offensively bad but it retells the story of Burst, very little reason to watch it if you've already played it. Also pretty shoddy and short fight scenes.

The Senran Kagura 2 special edition comes with Hebijo mini-figures, shame about that 3DS region lock.

No Caption Provided

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

Yes, let's get excited about a creepy anime thing that plays like Dynasty Warriors.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By musubi

@baka_shinji17: I'd like them to bring the weird cooking game over as well. That thing looks bizarre.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ervonymous
    @jjweatherman said:

Yes, let's get excited about a creepy anime thing that plays like Dynasty Warriors.

You forgot embarrassing, troublesome and exclusive. Levels tend to be more linear, there's no tug of war of capturing bases and it plays more like Dissidia thanks to the lock-on and air dashes.

@demoskinos The cooking competition stuff is all superfluous, it's your run-of-the-mill rhythm game with SK trappings. Everything depends on your own performance and it's no head-to-head competition really.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jjweatherman said:

You forgot embarrassing, troublesome and exclusive. Levels tend to be more linear, there's no tug of war of capturing bases and it plays more like Dissidia thanks to the lock-on and air dashes.

Well now you do have my attention because Dissidia was the only PSP game I ever put actual time into.

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

Hopefully it plays better than Burst. I was totally on-board with the concept, but MAN did it play terribly. A little more depth would be nice.

@jjweatherman said:

Is this series full of fanservice? Hell yes. Is it a bit shameless? Absolutely. It's important to note, however, that it very clearly is aware of how ridiculous it is and is trying to go as far as it can. The various girls aren't just treated as eye-candy but have deep and meaningful storylines too.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

All right..... I'll probably buy this and feel weird about it. Whatever.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By TruthTellah

Alright, alright. Maybe it's time I got a Vita.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By thebunnyhunter

I have no idea what this series is but i have a Vita and i want that game inside of it. Also plays like Dissidia?...that sounds great.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

If I had a vita...

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

Limited edition physical release? I guess I'll have to get that.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

Welp, I guess these games have an audience, because they keep coming out. Personally, I think making giant anime boob fanservice the focus point of your video game is all sorts of skeezy and some sort of creepy, but for all I know it might actually secretly be the greatest game ever made. Whatever. People can like what they want to like.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haha yep. Gonna buy it, gonna hate myself, gonna play it regardless.

DeadeyeMcCoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure. I like silly shit and anything decent I can play on my Vita. I guess now's as good a time as any to play that copy of Burst that's been untouched on my 3DS.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah: Assuming you have PS+ along with some pretty great recent releases the Vita is slowly working its way into my heart.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By TruthTellah

@truthtellah: Assuming you have PS+ along with some pretty great recent releases the Vita is slowly working its way into my heart.

Yeah, I keep trying it out at Gamestop. This Fall, I'm guessing I may pick it up.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bushpusherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By bushpusherr

This looks completely repellent to me. Anytime an anime game appears on this site, and Jeff throws on his (humorous) creepy pedophile voice and jokingly goes for upskirts, there's always a torrent of people complaining about how unfair he is being. Then, I see a trailer like this where there is literally a 15 second block solely devoted to jiggling cartoon tits and ass. I mean, what the fuck.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

Not on ebgames.ca, not surprised.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Aegon

@bushpusherr said:

This looks completely repellent to me. Anytime an anime game appears on this site, and Jeff throws on his (humorous) creepy pedophile voice and jokingly goes for upskirts, there's always a torrent of people complaining about how unfair he is being. Then, I see a trailer like this where there is a literally a 15 second block solely devoted to jiggling cartoon tits and ass. I mean, what the fuck.

I won't speak to the quality of whatever this is, but most of the works in all forms of media are not good. They usually have their stereotypical aspects that contribute to their poor quality, like macho hero white dude saves the day through violence / explosions in American media and a focus on cartoon boobs in anime / anime inspired games.

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I imported this last year and it's a ton of mindless fun. Hopefully it'll come over to europe at some point.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Corvak

Games like this...

...are why Amazon is a thing. Discrete, unmarked, efficient.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ervonymous

This looks completely repellent to me. Anytime an anime game appears on this site, and Jeff throws on his (humorous) creepy pedophile voice and jokingly goes for upskirts, there's always a torrent of people complaining about how unfair he is being. Then, I see a trailer like this where there is literally a 15 second block solely devoted to jiggling cartoon tits and ass. I mean, what the fuck.

Still going on about the Diva f quick look or what? Drawing similarities between that and Senran Kagura is a disservice to both, this is as brazen and dumb as fanservice gets. The characters aren't as one-dimensional as you might think but no one's making excuses.

No Caption Provided

bushpusherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By bushpusherr

@bushpusherr said:

Still going on about the Diva f quick look or what? Drawing similarities between that and Senran Kagura is a disservice to both, this is as brazen and dumb as fanservice gets. The characters aren't as one-dimensional as you might think but no one's making excuses.

No Caption Provided

It's been more than just the Hatsune Miku quick look. And describing this as fan service is exactly my point...what does that say about how they view their fans? "We're giving these creepy dudes exactly what they want: super young looking girls with exaggerated proportions and outfits that expose them." I wasn't meaning to say that Project Diva F is equivalent or similar to this, just that it makes Jeff's depiction of "creepy dude looking for naked cartoon pussy" seem like much less of a straw man.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

@random45 said:

@viciousbearmauling said:

Haha yep. Gonna buy it, gonna hate myself, gonna play it regardless.

My sentiments exactly. Had the same feeling with Sorcery Saga too... But maybe it'll be worth it

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ervonymous

It's been more than just the Hatsune Miku quick look. And describing this as fan service is exactly my point...what does that say about how they view their fans? "We're giving these creepy dudes exactly what they want: super young looking girls with exaggerated proportions and outfits that expose them." I wasn't meaning to say that Project Diva F is equivalent or similar to this, just that it makes Jeff's depiction of "creepy dude looking for naked cartoon pussy" seem like much less of a straw man.

Well, yeah, Senran Kagura is absolutely pandering. I don't dwell on silly video games that much and get defensive only when people draw conclusions about their supposed adverse effects, if someone can take solace in the fact that they're somehow above me that's just fine.

No Caption Provided

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#30  Edited By mike

I can't wait...to read even more sexism in games articles. As an aside, these girls look extraordinarily young and this creeps me out.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#31  Edited By The_Ruiner

Hopefully it plays better than Burst. I was totally on-board with the concept, but MAN did it play terribly. A little more depth would be nice.

@jjweatherman said:

Is this series full of fanservice? Hell yes. Is it a bit shameless? Absolutely. It's important to note, however, that it very clearly is aware of how ridiculous it is and is trying to go as far as it can. The various girls aren't just treated as eye-candy but have deep and meaningful storylines too.

No Caption Provided

Deep. Meaningful.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's because of the unnecessary generalization of people who like anime or anime related things. It's like judging everyone who watches movies because of Grown Ups.

bushpusherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexandersheen: To be fair, I think a more apt comparison would be judging everyone who likes Adam Sandler because of Grown Ups.

I will never understand anyone that calls out games like this for being creepy and gross, than gives a free pass to games where you pop enemies' heads like zits and bathe in gallons of blood.

I don't particularly care about sex in video games, the issue I take with the anime variety of it in particular is just how young the girls are/look like. While not without exception, of course, violence in video games generally isn't targeted at children either.

bushpusherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By bushpusherr

@bushpusherr:

Violence isn't targeted at children and yet I think it'd be more common to find a kid playing Call of Duty, God of War, or Grand Theft Auto. I could be wrong.

As for the youthful appearance of the characters, that certainly seems to stray into subjective opinion. I have to believe that since the game is being released in the USA than there will be nothing illegal in its content and that it will be rated accordingly by the ESRB.

In the end, while I may or may not end up trying out the series, I find it unfair that some enter a thread made for people that do enjoy the series and infer that their tastes are creepy or gross.

When I say targeted I don't mean marketed...I mean the actual depiction of violence againstchildren. And I wasn't suggesting anything was illegal, just in poor taste. I also don't think it's particularly out of line to suggest that this game seems creepy and gross when apparent fans of the series in this very thread state themselves that they fully expect to feel weird while playing this. The trailer kind of speaks for itself.

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
    SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexandersheen: come on. I don't judge anyone for liking anime, but look at what you're defending. This is very much the Grown Ups of anime, which is to say is only appealing if you're prepubescent.

I love some anime, Neon Genesis Evangelion and Paranoia Agent are some of the best tv shows I've ever seen anime or otherwise, but it's things like this, and the fact that the vocal "anime" community tries to defend it, that stop me from ever self indentifying into any sort of anime fan base

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexandersheen: come on. I don't judge anyone for liking anime, but look at what you're defending. This is very much the Grown Ups of anime, which is to say is only appealing if you're prepubescent.

I love some anime, Neon Genesis Evangelion and Paranoia Agent are some of the best tv shows I've ever seen anime or otherwise, but it's things like this, and the fact that the vocal "anime" community tries to defend it, that stop me from ever self indentifying into any sort of anime fan base

What makes it a vocal "anime" community and not "Senran Kagura" or "video game" community? I understand not wanting to associate with fandoms in the first place but it sounds like you're coming up with excuses to look down on something, there's plenty in Senran Kagura itself for that. No need to drag down Slayers or Cowboy Bebop with it.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh I'm not defending it, I'm just saying don't associate everyone with it.

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By baka_shinji17
    No Caption Provided

Ya'll need to stop arguing. You're upsetting Hibari-chan. ;)

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#42  Edited By dagas

I so hope this will come out in Europe too. It has a good chance since Burst came out here, with a not at all suggestive box art. I don't have a 3DS so I can't play Burst but I would get Shinovi Versus of it come out on Vita here.

No Caption Provided

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have you considered that the reason fans have to defend it is because they get relentlessly attacked and stereotyped for just enjoying something?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@secondpersonshooter: Well its obviously pandering but that is exactly the point and it never pretends to be anything else. Just like a lot of Hollywood action films are all about mindless violence. Sometimes you just want to get your dumb thrills. If you're being creeped out by it then your taking it way more seriously than even a lot of people who play games like this do.

I don't expect everyone to understand it but I think its foolish to judge. Do we label everyone who gets way into horror movies and gore effects sociopathic? Healthy normal people can draw a line between their entertainment and their personalities.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@joshwent said:

@secondpersonshooter said:

Have you considered that the reason fans have to defend it is because they get relentlessly attacked and stereotyped for just enjoying something?

Is getting attacked for liking images of children in suggestive clothing/positions even a bad thing?

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By joshwent

@alexw00d said:

@joshwent said:

Is getting attacked for liking images of children in suggestive clothing/positions even a bad thing?

Wow! I didn't think it would be this easy for someone to illustrate my point.

These games (which I'm not even a fan of, to be clear) are about high school girls with impossibly big boobs ninja fighting in absurdly over-the-top ways. The fact that you can even somehow correlate that to pedophilia is really sad. Especially for a fan of video games, the most slandered and misunderstood form of media there is.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

@joshwent: The problem I have with games like this (and this one in particular) is that these alleged high school girls look to me like they're about eight or nine years old.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Banner ad at the start of the trailer was for something called "Rackspace"? Seemed appropriate.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ervonymous
    @mb said:

@joshwent: The problem I have with games like this (and this one in particular) is that these alleged high school girls look to me like they're about eight or nine years old.

When it's not sexism, it's pedophilia. Thank God I'm gay and into neither. I still get a giggle out of dumb anime tropes and really like Nan Yaegashi's art style, though. [Yozakura - Age 16]'s siblings here are supposed to be closer to that age range.

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.