Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sentris

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released August 2015

Sentris is a color-based puzzle game that also functions as a music creation tool.

Impressions

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

So I just got this game and have only played through a few songs. But so far I like it but not really the game part of it. Just a bit of background. I play guitar and have written a feew, very simple, songs. So I know a bit about music theory and arrangement but I'm certainly not an expert.

If I had my way, I would play this game like an instrument. What I really enjoy is slowly building a song and improvising an arrangement on the fly. It's really fun to try to change how you approach a song and challenge yourself to make something that sounds really interesting using such limited music samples.

The puzzle game isn't very interesting though. It's not hard and not particularly fun. And it limits you're creativity with a song. The only other real drawback I've noticed so far, which may not be an issue the more I mess with the game, is that I can't predict how each sample will sound. I mean I know what instrument and sound corresponds with each color. But I can't tell what tone will be produced so it's hard to construct a melody.

What do the rest of you think?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

I wish it wasn't 20 bucks. Even when it's finished I can't see it justifying that price.

That's just me though as someone who is incredibly thick when it comes to music theory and needs either really good gameplay or a really good story.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#3 FinalDasa  Moderator

When I saw it at PAX East the guy who explained it to me described it as a music creation tool with puzzle elements. The game includes the puzzle to help guide you as you make the music but in no part are you required to complete the puzzles. The difficulty isn't gated either so it's not like you need to complete the easy levels to continue.

I love it. I think having this fun little music game is a great show piece to people who don't play games that video games aren't just COD. It's so terribly simple, and creative, and fun.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@finaldasa:

I've been doing the puzzles so I can move the circle I've created down a level and get a new circle so that I can layer pieces onto the song. Is there a way to do this without doing the puzzles?

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FinalDasa  Moderator

@jasonr86 said:

@finaldasa:

I've been doing the puzzles so I can move the circle I've created down a level and get a new circle so that I can layer pieces onto the song. Is there a way to do this without doing the puzzles?

I don't think so. That layering is pretty awesome though. I really need to spend more time with the Steam version, I only dabbled a bit before being satisfied.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

@corruptedevil: Awesome! I'm not sure how great I'd be at that. I sort of need that puzzle structure. But maybe just playing around will make something cool.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JasonR86

A few more thoughts. On the hard difficulty the game does get pretty hard and it add more samples to the mix. Which is neat because it'll allow for more varied songs and since @corruptedevil mentioned there will be a free play mode that should make things pretty interesting. Just a note before I add my new nitpicks of the game, they are nitpicks. I do like this game. Which is why I would like some of these little issues to be addressed as the game continues development because it could really flesh out the experience. I heard in the quick look that this will happen but adding different time signatures, besides just 4/4, would be a nice feature. It would be nice if you could save and/or share what you've created with other people who are playing. In the tutorial that is coming it would helpful if each color's sound could be explained as well as the symbols that seem to correspond to how the sound will play. And for the color blind people I think a color blind mode would be nice.

Also I could see with a free play mode that the next creative wall a person could hit is limitation of the loop. So far, again with the game only utilizing a 4/4 time signature, you get a four measure loop. So in a free play mode you could create a song that uses the four measures to your liking but then, for me, I would like to add more. So adding more measures would be freeing creatively but I suppose I would understand if that goes beyond the scope of the game. It'll be interesting how they handle different time signatures with this loop system. A song in three will have a really short loop compared to say a song in seven.

Anyway, that's a lot of nitpicking. I really like it and I hope she adds a lot to it as it goes.

MannyMAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think it's an interesting approach to learning how to make music loops and spark creativity for music production. I think of it similar to a simplistic game version of FL studio (aka Fruity Loops.)

For someone like me who uses those kind of programs for fun, I can most definitely see an impressionable mind getting the music producer bug when the puzzles become more fleshed out songs in the final product.

thelsdj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is all I have to contribute so far: https://youtube.com/watch?v=4nAv2od5FUQ

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I just learned some things. The colors on the rectangles placed within the circled seem to correspond to the tone that will play but the placement of the rectangles correspond to the instrument played. So, for example, on the first medium song I think there's four circles that you can pick rectangles from. One of those circles will always correspond to a snare drum but the color will change how the snare drum plays. Then the length of the rectangle corresponds to how long the tone will play. So you could theoretically create a small melody within a four rectangle progression with each ending at different times.

city17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

To me I get the feeling are been way too kind to this game just because they are friends with the creator.

Jamsque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Who all has played this since release? I really struggled with this game when I played it at PAX last year but the final version has a great tutorial and seems to generally be tighter and more focused. I have enjoyed my time with it a lot so far but I am a little sad to have gotten through all of the levels the game has to offer in three short sittings.

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@city17:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BjlW19FuemE

dewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I play it from time to time to relax. I like the infinity mode, I just wish it always have you 4 instruments. Still getting used to freestyle mode, I'm not sure if I'm that musically inclined.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.