Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Oct 31, 1999

Septerra Core is an isometric PC role-playing game by Chicago based developer Valkyrie Studios.

On steam now so...

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Is this game any good? Yes I know its only 2.49 but I still would like to know before I buy since I never heard of it before

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

I remember liking it quite a bit, personally. I'll probably grab this Steam version, actually.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Been out on GoG for forever.... sometimes cheaper than 2.50 too. If you want to buy the game I wouldn't get it on steam, wait for the next rpg sale on GoG and get it for like a dollar.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Ghostiet

I remember liking it a lot.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By zeforgotten

@karkarov said:

Been out on GoG for forever.... sometimes cheaper than 2.50 too. If you want to buy the game I wouldn't get it on steam, wait for the next rpg sale on GoG and get it for like a dollar.

Money must be really tight if saving 1.50 is worth it.
    Then again there are insane people out there using only coupons on everything so what do I know.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I have it on GoG and really enjoyed the little I played of it, certainly worth the $2.50.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was an awesome game in it's time, I have no idea how it holds up though. I played it when it was new.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@karkarov said:

Then again there are insane people out there using only coupons on everything so what do I know.

I mostly just prefer making sure people know there are other services than steam. Steam is fine if you want multiplayer or just can't get the game anywhere else. But when we are talking about games that won't take any advantage of any steam feature and you could have gotten them elsewhere over a year ago for the same price or less? Gonna have to mention the alternative.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Tennmuerti

PSA: don't buy this piece of shit game

I let my nostalgia goggles of playing the demo back in the day and liking the setting and art style cloud my judgement and bought it when it came out on GoG.

It is TERRIBLE. Septerra Core tries to marry some of western RPG style with JRPG gameplay and fails superbly at pretty much everything except the pretty looking art. The storyline is not good. There is no real character interaction to speak of nor any real dialogue nor decisions, just topic exposition to unlock further story progress. It is extremely linear, even tho it tries to create an illusion of being open worldish with some side stuff.Uninspiring item and character customization. The unique setup and cool looking characters and art are utterly wasted. But really none of this makes is a bad game per se.

What does make it an awful game is the combat system, the thing you do for oh 95% of the game if not more, it's practically the only shit you do period. Which is a monotonous slog from start to finish, never offering any real challenge, nor change, nor any need for tactics. It's attack attack attack from start to finish with occasional heals. All that does change from the start of the game to the end is that a bout halfway through you get some overpowered area of effect spells and practically infinite money, meaning you can just spam you strongest nukes every single combat killing everything and drinking a mana potion out of your endless supply every few fights. Fuck even this would be so bad if combat wasn't so insanely slooooooow. Holy shit the snail speed of dudes jumping into the fight and performing the same attacks over and over at a leisurely pace is enough to want to make you slit your wrists. There is no way to speed it up, nor to skip the pointless jumping into combat animation that happens every time, for hundreds upon hundreds of combat encounters. I eventually couldn't bear playing any more of it (even when i was playing it in the background at work because that way i could do other shit while the combat animations played out).

There is literally nothing of value here. If you like how cool everything looks just look at the screenshots. There now you've experienced the best this game has to offer.

PS: I just really regret wasting my time on it and am bitter about something i thought was a cool demo of a game from my childhood actually turning out to be boring monotonous garbage :( AAAAAGH.

Avatar image for nocookiesforyou
    NoCookiesForYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

One of my favorite childhood games. I always felt it was underrated. The world of Septerra Core felt unique, filled with cool characters and that intro still gives me goosebumps. I'll definitely buy this again now that it is on Steam and it's only couple of bucks.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@karkarov said:

@zeforgotten said:

@karkarov said:

I mostly just prefer making sure people know there are other services than steam. Steam is fine if you want multiplayer or just can't get the game anywhere else. But when we are talking about games that won't take any advantage of any steam feature and you could have gotten them elsewhere over a year ago for the same price or less? Gonna have to mention the alternative.

Sure I get that, I was only messing with you so no ill intent at all.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@karkarov said:

Plus the GOG version has supplemental content.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.