2011: Year of Disappointing Sequels?

• 95 results
#51 Posted by Twiggy199 (498 posts) -
@MooseyMcMan said:

I disagree. I think 2011 is the year of awesome sequels.

#52 Posted by Jayzilla (2562 posts) -

@Godzilla_Sushi said:

@DarthOrange said:

I disagree with you on inFamous 2 (my game of the year so far). That game was fantastic and had a heavy ending that felt meaningful, along with cool new powers. Resistance 3 was another fantastic sequel. Uncharted 3's story wasn't the best in the series but the multiplayer made up for any single player shortcomings. Disappointment is totally subjective.

@Godzilla_Sushi said:

Well, Uncharted 3 is pretty good for what we hope is the last time.

I actually think it was a strong year for sequels.

Dead Space 2 (My personal game of the year)

Modern Warfare 3

Gears of War 3

Forza 4

Skyrim

Batman: Arkham City

Portal 2

Mortal Kombat

That's a very strong list of sequels for 2011!

How do you know skyrim and modern warfare won't come out and be total crap? are you from the future?!?!?!?!?

Oh give me a break. If I was betting on the quality of any game it would be developed by Bethesda and Infinity Ward. I'll tell you what.....if those two games come out and are total crap, you can ban my account. ;)

will you eat your hat?

#53 Posted by ShaggE (6456 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Godzilla_Sushi said:

@DarthOrange said:

I disagree with you on inFamous 2 (my game of the year so far). That game was fantastic and had a heavy ending that felt meaningful, along with cool new powers. Resistance 3 was another fantastic sequel. Uncharted 3's story wasn't the best in the series but the multiplayer made up for any single player shortcomings. Disappointment is totally subjective.

@Godzilla_Sushi said:

Modern Warfare 3

Gears of War 3

Forza 4

Skyrim

Portal 2

Mortal Kombat

How do you know skyrim and modern warfare won't come out and be total crap? are you from the future?!?!?!?!?

Oh give me a break. If I was betting on the quality of any game it would be developed by Bethesda and Infinity Ward. I'll tell you what.....if those two games come out and are total crap, you can ban my account. ;)

You do realize that Infinity War is no longer the Infinity Ward it once was, right? That's not to say that Modern Warfare 3 won't live up to the previous games in any way, but the talent at the developer is largely different these days.

"Infinity War" is such a fantastically fitting typo.

#54 Posted by countinhallways (632 posts) -

Most sequels I have played this year have been top-notch. Dark Souls and Deus Ex in particular.

#55 Edited by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

wow there were a lot of sequals out this year, still more to come. of the games that i played dragon age 2, infamous 2 and portal 2 and gears 3 were all great experiences. Mortal Kombat was a major step in the right direction

#56 Posted by Packie (255 posts) -

Admittedly, I haven't played all the really great/interesting games so far. Stuff like: Portal 2, Deus Ex: HR, Dead Space 2, Witcher 2, Uncharted 3, inFamous 2, Gears 3... Jesus christ the list goes on.

But if there was one heart-crushingly disappointing sequel, it's Crysis 2. It's a good game and it definitely improves on few of the elements from the first Crysis. But as a whole, it's nowhere near as good and fun. Open environments replaced with linear corridors with very few branching paths. This game is my disappointment of the year despite having completed it 4 times(I've finished Crysis 1 more than I can count).

#57 Posted by Mike76x (558 posts) -

@Godzilla_Sushi said:

Okay, I'm just throwing this out there for a good discussion. Bad public relations will give the impression that everything is bad for the product. Someone gets salmonella and suddenly people aren't eating spinach for a year. Two guys had a game deep in progress when they got axed. They took a handful of folks with them. But Infinity Ward is a massive developer. On top of that, if you read the credits on MW3, I promise you'll see a number of other Activision studios on the list. My point is, the talent didn't go anywhere, and the game was well into development.

Infinity Ward is the same as it was. We all just have a bad impression.

I do love that we spun this in a totally different direction from the original blog post though. That rocks!

The 2 bosses were fired, then 46 out of 90 employees followed them.

The top half of the company including all the department heads.

It's safe to assume the remnants of Infinity Ward are the mail room guy, the secretary and the lowest people they had.

#58 Posted by Zippedbinders (997 posts) -

@Melvargh said:

After every big sequel release this year, I saw posts like "[insert game]:Disappointment of the year?".

You people are god damn nuts. I caught myself saying things like "MAN, VIDEO GAMES ARE FUCKING AWESOME"

This is pretty much my opinion on the matter. I've had a ton of fun with just about all the games I've played this year.

#59 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

Gears motherfucking 3!

@FancySoapsMan said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

#60 Posted by Vexxan (4621 posts) -

Portal 2, yo.

#61 Posted by Nottle (1914 posts) -

Dragon Age 2 was definitely a bummer considering that DAo was one of my favorite games this gen.

Right now, I feel a little bored with what I have. Uncharted 3 and Gears of war 3 are great games. But I finished them pretty quickly. Unless I play some co-op soon they'll loose their luster. It's a shame. Maybe I should have waited for something that is a bit more of a time sink like Skyrim or Zelda or call of duty. Those are sequels as well though, and I never was a huge fan of Oblivion. There is so much cool stuff coming out. Saints Row looks awesome and so does the MGS collection (even though I already played MGS2 and 3). But I also have a back catalogue of some good games like New Vegas an persona 4, I should finish those.

Oddly enough my games of the year so far are probably the Binding of Isaac and Deus Ex HR. I never played any of the other deus ex and the binding of isaac is pretty unique.

#62 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Skyrim will atone for this year's past sins.

#63 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

@Mento said:

I'm glad I'm not being accused of being too incendiary or sounding like I'm saying "these games are bad and you should feel bad for liking them" or something equally reductive, because people are sensitive about that sort of thing right now.

It's probably cause you're writing and reasoning doesn't come off as a blithering idiot.

My experiences with sequels this year has been okay, but not mindblowing. Of the ones I've played they've all been improvements, but not staggeringly so. Take Uncharted to Uncharted 2 for example. That was a revelation, No sequel has had that effect on me yet this year. Hell, I'm still having a hard time getting into Gears Of War 3 and I thought the last two were boss. Portal 2 would probably be the winner for me there. Though Arkham City, Dead Space 2, Mortal Kombat and Uncharted 3 have been amazing games too.

I never played Demon's Souls, but am loving Dark Souls to bits and I still have Deus Ex on backlog so we'll see how things end up.

As for sequels yet to get released I'm really pumped for Skyward Sword, Saint's Row 3 and Assassin's Creed Revelations.

Dang, this thread really put into stark contrast the sheer mountain of sequels we've seen this year. Hell, I still have sequels from last year still in my backlog.

#64 Posted by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -

Every sequel you referenced as disappointing I also found at least a little disappointing, some more than others. I still loved the shit out of Uncharted 3 all the same, though, and I even think it's still a bit better than Among Thieves. (Review forthcoming!)

#65 Posted by MildMolasses (3221 posts) -

I must be one of the few people that wasn't that impressed with Portal 2. I though the first and third acts were amazing, but that middle section (the Cave Johnson stuff) was dreadful. Mind you I would love to have an opinion on the co-op stuff, but I have few game playing friends, and none of them play nearly as many games as I do as they are all to busy being adult with responsibilities

#66 Posted by MissionN (11 posts) -

I could not agree more with Dragon Age 2, expect more from Bioware. Will also have to agree as Deus Ex and Dark Souls being the two best sequels Ive played this year, albeit I have yet to play Portal 2 and Dead Space 2.

#67 Posted by Arestice (468 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

#68 Posted by tekmojo (2302 posts) -

Deus Ex.

#69 Posted by SleepyDoughnut (1212 posts) -

Way to look at the negative side. Your choices are valid, but It's been an amazing year for video games.

#70 Edited by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

Every sequel I've played this year has either been as good as, or even better than the last.

Also, I'm proud to admit I didn't understand any of those comics.

#71 Posted by McShank (1629 posts) -

@Godzilla_Sushi said:

Modern Warfare 3

Gears of War 3

Forza 4

Skyrim

Portal 2

Mortal Kombat

Lets add to things that have actually come out now since a few on your list are still MIA atm.

BF3

Disgaea 4

Witcher 2

Alice: Madness returns (Technically a sequal)

Killzone 3

Resistance 3

Little big planet 2

All of these were also very stong sequals :D Adding to your list of also good (Maybe not all) sequals. mainly MW3.. cant say its good till it actually comes out and if it looks any different from all the other CoD..

#72 Edited by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

You're stretching it on most of those, or you just have very unrealistic expectations....for the most part this year has been good for sequels.

#73 Posted by Milkman (16800 posts) -

Dragon Age 2 was the only bad sequel this year as far as I'm concerned. Uncharted 3 and inFamous 2 had HUGE shoes to fill and neither had as big an impact as their predecessors. But they were both still great games. I can see why some people may have been disappointed in inFamous 2 but I liked it well enough. As for Deus Ex, I hold no fondness to the original but I enjoyed the game nonetheless.

#74 Posted by SSully (4189 posts) -

I dont know if its a as much as lack of quality (exception is DA2) as much as it is more of the same. I enjoyed all of the games you listed, but they all had the 'been there done that' kind of feel. Obviously they are sequels and that is the point, but sometimes I rather the developers just try to give something new instead of giving me another experience that I already had.

#75 Posted by RelentlessKnight (963 posts) -

wow, seriously uncharted 3? wtf

#76 Posted by InfiniteGeass (2054 posts) -

I personally liked DA 2 way more than Origins. I hope DA 3 is more like DA 2, if not then I won't really be very interested in it.

#77 Posted by BelligerentEngine (344 posts) -

I'm happy this thread exists to remind me how disproportionally awesome Varric was compared to the rest of Dragon Age 2.

That game has what probably amounts to the worst end act of any video game I've ever played. The actions of most of your antagonists and friends at the end of the game make what amounts to zero sense.

I actually like what they did to streamline the combat, but the way enemies spawned, the inventory management, the itemization of the gear, the story, a good portion of the companions, your ability to actually influence the game world, the 5 tile-sets they used, the way Anders behaved, the visual changes to the Qunari, the fact that everything occurred within one very small geographic area, and anything at all that even in the slightest involved Merrill(Worst character concept ever/progression ever) were all if not terrible at least a bad change.

#78 Posted by BisonHero (6532 posts) -

@MildMolasses said:

I must be one of the few people that wasn't that impressed with Portal 2. I though the first and third acts were amazing, but that middle section (the Cave Johnson stuff) was dreadful. Mind you I would love to have an opinion on the co-op stuff, but I have few game playing friends, and none of them play nearly as many games as I do as they are all to busy being adult with responsibilities

The biggest issue with the Cave Johnson area was how often they went back to the well on the "puzzle" where all you do is look for a white surface on the other end of an enormous cavern, then portal over to it. Or you do that, in combination with a very basic "fall to a portal on the ground to give yourself momentum" puzzle setup. I guess some segment of players must've asked for long-distance portaling after playing the first game, but let me tell you, Valve, those guys were idiots. Don't add in the features they want.

I don't know if I would call it a disappointment, but I was a little sad that Glados wasn't as funny in Portal 2. Or maybe she was, but she got totally upstaged by Wheatley (in the first and third act) and Cave Johnson (in the second act) in terms of hilarious lines. She was menacing, but I can't remember any of her lines being super funny, not in the same way I remember many of her funny lines from Portal 1. Also, Glados just becomes annoying when she's in a potato, because it seems like all she ever does is go "don't forget, we have to hurry back to the surface to stop Wheatley from destroying the whole facility". Jesus, I remember - it's still only like an 8-hour game, and the part where Wheatley almost destroys the facility only happens in the later 2/3rds of the game, so I don't see how I possibly had any time to forget. It was nearly as bad as Navi, and I expected less annoying companion dialogue from Valve.

#79 Posted by mewarmo990 (835 posts) -

I wouldn't argue that 2011 has been The Year of disappointing sequels - the awesome Witcher 2 is all that's on my mind at the moment - but I guess we can all agree on Dragon Age 2. I liked it more than I hated it, but it felt rushed and that senseless enemy spawning completely defeated the point of all that tactical options they touted in the first game.

#80 Posted by Faint (833 posts) -

dead space 2 was quite neat.

#81 Posted by Swick (222 posts) -

Couldn't this be said about every year in video gaming?

#82 Posted by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -

@Faint said:

dead space 2 was quite neat.

Dead Space 2 was incredible. The best sequel they could have done, and even that dlc campaign was neat. I feel like that is going to be lost in the shuffle during GOTY time. It would have have been even better if they supported the multiplayer more and had some type of horde/arena mode.

#83 Posted by KillerFly (396 posts) -

Dead Space 2 and Portal 2 were amazing. inFamous 2 was a huge disappointing. Can't speak on the other games you pointed out yet. But it's only to be expected that some sequels will be disappointments. Crackdown 2 anyone?

#84 Posted by Cwaff (1260 posts) -

@Arestice said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

#85 Posted by Church069 (250 posts) -

Looking at this from another perspective, maybe the issue has not to do with the sequels that we got this year, but more the original IPs that we got. A majority of the new stuff we got this year was kind of a let down, based on certain perspectives. The only Original IP to get a 5-star rating from Giant Bomb was L.A. Noire. Maybe as a result, we expected more from the sequels this year to kind of fulfill that itch for new ideas and experiences. Which is really impractical to expect.

As a side note, I really did enjoy Dead Space 2. I've played that game several times over. I even attempted that extreme difficulty challenge, but failed though. So I guess in terms of sequels, that is probably the one I enjoyed the most.

#86 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

Sequels are always disappointing because that means you're one step closer to the end.

#87 Edited by MormonWarrior (2593 posts) -

You forgot Dead Space 2 and Arkham City both being inferior to their previous games. Especially Dead Space 2. I have a review of both if you care to look and see what I think.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see your last section mentioning many games. I think Portal 2 took an alright little game from 2007 and made it into a fantastic standalone product.

#88 Edited by wsowen02 (320 posts) -

Brad gave inFAMOUS 2 a 4/5 for the record, and as a HUGE fan of the first game, I think he was being generous.

#89 Posted by CosmicQueso (569 posts) -

@InfiniteGeass said:

I personally liked DA 2 way more than Origins. I hope DA 3 is more like DA 2, if not then I won't really be very interested in it.

I'm in the same boat. DA2 was just more fun for me, and going back to Origins style would be regressing. I also find Uncharted 3 to be the worst of the series. What can one do.

Dead Space 2 was far better than 1, Portal 2 as well. Arkham City is better than Asylum and Gears 3 was the best yet.

I don't get it, I think 2011 is full of some of the most amazing games ever made. But hey, everything's wonderful and nobody's happy.

#90 Posted by paulunga (2019 posts) -

Of course Deus Ex was great, it was a fresh take on Invisible War and has not all that much in common with the original, even though the second one was curiously enough almost universally reviled when it came out. Though personally I enjoyed it just as much as Human Revolution.

#91 Posted by zudthespud (3281 posts) -

Portal 2, Forza 4, Battlefield 3 and Gears 3 have all been brilliant, and I'm mega impressed by the first 90 minutes of Skyrim I've played so no, I think I'm happy with this years sequels.

#92 Posted by solidejake (484 posts) -

So when you think of 'disappointing sequels', Uncharted & InFAMOUS come to mind? Not Modern Warfare, or Battlefield? Interesting.

#93 Posted by Mento (2547 posts) -

@solidejake: I don't really have any interest in those games, so I don't really have an opinion about them that wouldn't just aggrieve even more people.

@Swick: Game sequels in general, and how I feel some are more effective than others, is what I probably should've concentrated on. I just took examples from this year because they're clearer in everyone's minds and dropped an ill-advised title on top. When you get to an age where you feel you've seen every game (not the reality), having several come out that are specifically created to be as close to their antecedents as possible gets sort of discouraging after a while, leading to this sort of bellyaching. But I really can't grumble about this year in particular, because there's plenty of games - IPs and continuations both - that I've liked.

@wsowen02: Ah, nice catch, thanks. I did recall Brad being glowing about it and feeling slightly dissatisfied when I got around to playing it, but I can't fault 4-stars for something that's more of the same. If you needed a review for inFamous 2, that probably meant you hadn't played the original and could be more than satisfied with #2. No beef whatsoever with Mr Shoemaker.

#94 Posted by GaspoweR (3041 posts) -

@BisonHero said:

@MildMolasses said:

The biggest issue with the Cave Johnson area was how often they went back to the well on the "puzzle" where all you do is look for a white surface on the other end of an enormous cavern, then portal over to it. Or you do that, in combination with a very basic "fall to a portal on the ground to give yourself momentum" puzzle setup. I guess some segment of players must've asked for long-distance portaling after playing the first game, but let me tell you, Valve, those guys were idiots. Don't add in the features they want.

I don't know if I would call it a disappointment, but I was a little sad that Glados wasn't as funny in Portal 2. Or maybe she was, but she got totally upstaged by Wheatley (in the first and third act) and Cave Johnson (in the second act) in terms of hilarious lines. She was menacing, but I can't remember any of her lines being super funny, not in the same way I remember many of her funny lines from Portal 1. Also, Glados just becomes annoying when she's in a potato, because it seems like all she ever does is go "don't forget, we have to hurry back to the surface to stop Wheatley from destroying the whole facility". Jesus, I remember - it's still only like an 8-hour game, and the part where Wheatley almost destroys the facility only happens in the later 2/3rds of the game, so I don't see how I possibly had any time to forget. It was nearly as bad as Navi, and I expected less annoying companion dialogue from Valve.

Well I have to say that I think Glados was funnier in Portal 2 than in Portal, I don't think she was less funny but you are probably right to think that it might have felt that way since Wheatley and Cave Johnson both were somewhat funnier in comparison to her.

#95 Posted by Lavapotamus (199 posts) -

Even with trainwrecks in mind, I prefer it when a series takes a risk. Treading water is discouraging to me; it's more of the same, and that same thing may still be great the second time around, but how often will that more-of-the-same feeling be looked back upon fondly by gamers? Super Mario Galaxy 2 is one of the few sequel examples I can think of that was just fine borrowing from its predecessor, but it still added a significant powerup (Yoshi) and changed up its level design so frequently that it's tough to say the planet mechanic was overused.

Everything else, though? I'm struggling to feel the same way. New Super Mario Bros. DS was a fine game, but it did very little to warrant its own experience. There were so many throwbacks to what the Mario series has already done that it seemed to forget to create it's own experience. The game is replayable, but not nearly to the extent that past Mario games are. There's nothing in NSMB DS that triggers my memory, that makes me think "Oh yeah, that game!". With the exception of three powerups, I remember the rest of the game as a celebration of what Mario has already done rather than a continuation.

On the flip side, you have games like Metroid: Other M and Kirby's Epic Yarn that drastically shake the foundation of everything these franchises have ever stood on. Scrapping Kirby's inhale ability to replace it with an arts n' craft visual style? That's gutsy, but it paid off. People will remember Kirby's Epic Yarn as...Kirby's Epic Yarn. There's not much room to confuse the game with something else, even beyond the art direction.

Metroid: Other M is a much less favored example, but I still appreciate the risks that Team Ninja took with it compared to what they could have just done. The Metroid Prime trilogy was fantastic, but it was also a trilogy. Would Other M really have been any more satisfying if it emulated Retro Studios' direction with the Metroid series? Maybe during the initial experience, but I feel like it would eventually fall victim to the same problem as NSMB DS; if a game retreads familiar ground more than it establishes its own presence, then how long will gamers really remember it?

PS; glad to see I wasn't the only one that thought Portal 2 had pacing problems. My friends thought I was nuts when I complained about the middle of that game.

#96 Edited by PixelPrinny (1030 posts) -

I can't help but wonder if this was showcased on the front page for the sheer "Well, this is going to be a trainwreck" value. I mean you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but "year of disappointing sequels" is stretching it even in the most jaded and bitter of minds. though it's nice to see you caught your thread title mistake ;P

Just to list a few of my own personal faves: Disgaea 4, Atelier Totori, Dead Space 2, Portal 2, Little Big Planet 2, Skyrim, and Alice: Madness Returns. All of them great sequels.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.