Probably The Best DRM Ever

#2 Posted by AlisterCat (5568 posts) -

Crysis Warhead had a similar DRM feature where your guns wouldn't shoot bullets. They shot chickens.

#3 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

That's neat. I love DRM like these. Didn't Earthbound had something like that? I think that you played through all of the game, and in the end, BANG, it freezes, and when you reset... Your save has been erased! HOORAY!

#4 Posted by Mikemcn (6988 posts) -

Haha, that's pretty cool, could use more absurd though, its tame relative to 90% of what's in Serious Sam games.

#5 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

Why do pirates get all the cool stuff ;_;

#6 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Ubisoft should take note from this. Not some crazy DRM that harms the customers. 

#7 Posted by ch3burashka (5081 posts) -

Arkham Asylum had a similar strategy - The cape's float mechanics were slightly altered so that pirates could not get past a certain point because they would fall before reaching their final destination.

So far, this is probably the only DRM that's effective against pirates and doesn't harm the consumer's experience.

#8 Posted by Owlhead (153 posts) -

I wish it swore at the player too....

#9 Posted by Mcfart (1625 posts) -

Unfortunately, people will probably pirate the game just to experience that. It'll be the game's "Nightmare" difficulty.

#10 Edited by captain_max707 (490 posts) -

How do I get this in my copy if I buy it?

#11 Posted by Commisar123 (1793 posts) -

Nice

#12 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

All this will do is cause crackers to crack better. This will be worked around in a couple weeks although it has stopped the piracy for the time being as nobody has cracked it properly yet.

#13 Edited by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

I want to see a speedrun where someone completes the game with that thing chasing them the entire time.....but still this is not effective pirates will find away to remove the scorpion with little trouble.

#14 Posted by jakob187 (21671 posts) -

I hate to point out the flaw, but I'm sure there is a way to console command GOD mode and make that not matter. = /

Nonetheless, I love it when people torture pirates.

#15 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

And...how does it tell if you pirated the game?...

#16 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

@Mikemcn said:

Haha, that's pretty cool, could use more absurd though, its tame relative to 90% of what's in Serious Sam games.

Well, if it was a huge bad-ass son of a bitch that only pirates got to see, then legit customers may be bummed that they didn't get to see it :P

#17 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Unknown_Pleasures said:

I want to see a speedrun where someone completes the game with that thing chasing them the entire time.....but still this is not effective pirates will find away to remove the scorpion with little trouble.

I imagine there are more of those in the game, and I imagine that they'd be the same. At some point, you'd have to play frame by frame.

#18 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: Nah I'm pretty sure its a specific enemy that only shows up in pirated copies....it would be cool though if, with each level completed, they add another scorpion.

#19 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

The whole concept of AI lunging at me in video games is just confusing. who enjoys this shit? 

Anyway, funny DRM.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.