Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Seth Killian

Person » credited in 34 games

Current Man of Mystery. Formerly a designer at Sony Santa Monica and special advisor/community manager at Capcom US. He is one of the biggest names in the fighting game community, and the final boss of Divekick.

Seth Killian joins Santa Monica studio; will work on PS All-Stars

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By FluxWaveZ

After leaving Capcom, Seth Killian will be working on Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale as lead designer as a part of Sony's Santa Monica studio.

Hello PlayStation, I’m Seth Killian. A few of you may know me as a familiar face in the world of fighting games, but I’m writing today to say that I’ve joined Sony as the lead game designer for the external group at the Sony’s Santa Monica Studio.
    I was excited to join Santa Monica Studio in particular because of the chance to work with some great individuals, but also because of the incredible range of projects they take on. If you head out of my office and turn right, you’ll run into the “God of War: Ascension” team. If you turn left, you’ll find the Giant Sparrow crew working on “The Unfinished Swan.” There are other amazing studios in the world, but nowhere else that I know where you can find that kind of diversity combined with such a deep commitment to greatness–which also happens to sum up what’s so exciting to me about Sony overall.
    The external group works with Sony’s outside studios — teams like Queasy Games (Sound Shapes), Fun Bits Interactive (Escape Plan), thatgamecompany (Flower, Journey), and… SuperBot Entertainment, makers of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale!
    Fighting games are very close to my heart, and as someone that’s spent much of my life with traditional fighters, All-Stars has been a great opportunity to take a step back and rethink fighting fundamentals from the ground up. The entire team was put together from scratch to create this game, and they are loaded with fighting game superstars (including some impressive tournament credentials–I’m not even the first EVO finalist to join the team!) who love great combat just as much as I do.

Playstation Blog

Also, here's an interesting interview about Seth's departure from Capcom to Santa Monica and of his opinions on PS All-Stars.

ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By ricetopher

The amount of fighting game talent on that development team is crazy. With S-Kill running the show I'm way more interested now. I can't imagine how hilariously ironic it would be if PS All Stars ends up being one of the better competitive fighting games of the SF4 era (2009-present).

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By emergency

@ricetopher said:

The amount of fighting game talent on that development team is crazy. With S-Kill running the show I'm way more interested now. I can't imagine how hilariously ironic it would be if PS All Stars ends up being one of the better competitive fighting games of the SF4 era (2009-present).

I mean the game is going to be released in around 3 months. The core of the game is going to stay. He will certainly be good for the future of the game and such, but I'm not sure everyone who only now believes now that S.Kill is on board that the game will be shitballs. He'll be involved in a small % of the game dev timeline.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Sooty

What a waste. Would be better to see him at Arc, or dare I say it, Netherrealm.

Bartman3010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Bartman3010

I'm already not happy with the fact that most of these Fighting game "Veterans" they keep hiring are Evo tournament players and community managers. I may be unfairly pointing out something like Skullgirls, or maybe even dead wrong about it, but I'd fear that something like internal debating on equal character balance would be endless or something more gruesome.

They just strike me as egotistical, if nothing else. Plus besides Playstation All Stars and Skullgirls, theres not really that many other games that were made from tournament player development teams. Unless you count first person shooters.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Sooty said:

What a waste. Would be better to see him at Arc, or dare I say it, Netherrealm.

He won't just be working on fighting games there, apparently, but who's to say the SuperBot team with Seth Killian won't be developing subsequent and new fighting games following PS All-Stars?

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Petiew
    @Bartman3010: I don't really understand your criticism on the issue. Isn't it better that there are people who are passionate and knowledgeable about the genre working on the games?

Either way i'm still not particuarly interested in PS All-Stars, the E3 demo didn't make it look very appealing to me.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#8  Edited By Hailinel

Well, this was an anticlimax. And PlayStation All-Stars will still be garbage.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By mosespippy

It is such a shame to see a talented and passionate guy working on such a boring and uninspired project.

Simulacrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Simulacrum

Seth Killian is wasted there.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By MachoFantastico

Sounds like Seth wants to do more then just fighting games and you can't blame him. Still interested in All-Stars, despite everyone automatically crapping on it. That said, actually more excited to see how Seth does with other genres if they allow him to. Think we could see some interesting stuff. 

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MikkaQ

Odd, but uh appropriate I guess. Not like he'll be changing much on a game this close to release, but who knows what else they'll crank out. If All-Stars is a success, Killian could work on a sequel.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SlightConfuse

Good get by sony

Ninja_Welshman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ninja_Welshman

I think this is a excellent move by Sony. I was always impressed by his work at Capcom. He's well spoken, engaging and knows what the f he's talking about. And while I have NO interest in All Stars it great that they've got him on board. Looking forward to see what he can do in the future.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.