Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shadow Complex

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Aug 19, 2009

Reluctant hero Jason Fleming investigates a hidden underground complex to rescue his girlfriend Claire in this Metroid-style action-adventure game.

Friction dampener and completing the game: might contain spoilers

sukru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By sukru

I've finished the game, but could not get an answer to two things:

First, how do I effectively use the friction dampener? I know you have to run for 5 seconds, but there are areas where you cannot run that long, and jumping apparently kills the sequence. Is there a trick for this?

And after finishing the game, how do I keep on going back and picking up stuff to complete 100% of them? (I think I was around 70%). Loading the last checkpoint bring me to the final boss fight. Will I need to restart the game?

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Suicrat

I can only answer question one, which is the friction dampener does not die after a jump

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Hitchenson

Keeping hold of the jump button when you jump seems to work at not stoping the Friction Dampener.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Not sure about your second question, but as far as your first question: Jumping won't always kill the sequence only if it messes up your forward momentum. I can't really find a reliable way to predict when it will though.

In general though there are only a handful of items that you'll need to use the friction dampener to get though and only two of them are sort of tricky. The one in the room adjacent to the room with crates hanging from the conveyor belt on the ceiling is the one place I was confused. There's a box on the ground that you seem to not be able to get enough speed to smash to get to the item underneath. I know it isn't the correct way to get it, but what I did was build a foam bridge between the middle section in that room with the boxes hanging from the ceiling to the door to the room with the box to smash and ran across it to build up speed.

The other tricky one is the one in the room with the spider-tank that jumps at you from the background. What you do for that one is run in to the room from the left, jump onto the middle platform, run around onto the underside, and then jump into the box.

sukru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sukru
    sgjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By sgjackson
    @Chaser324 said:
    " The one in the room adjacent to the room with crates hanging from the conveyor belt on the ceiling is the one place I was confused. There's a box on the ground that you seem to not be able to get enough speed to smash to get to the item underneath. I know it isn't the correct way to get it, but what I did was build a foam bridge between the middle section in that room with the boxes hanging from the ceiling to the door to the room with the box to smash and ran across it to build up speed.
    I think I know the room you're talking about, it's the one where the guys in the middle say they found you and the commander tells them to deploy the foam guns, right? Get some speed going in the lower part of this room towards the left, run up the left wall and jump off at the top of the wall. You'll run across the top platform, breaking the blue boxes up there, then jump across to break the box.
    chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
    @sgjackson: Yeah, that's definitely the room I'm talking about it. Thanks for letting me know the correct way to do that now.
    sukru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sukru
    @sgjackson: Thanks, that worked.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.