Shadow Complex DLC A Possibility

• 63 results
Posted by Jeff (3479 posts) -
How about a waterskiing minigame? 
Gamasutra's Christian Nutt has a quick article up on the possibility of downloadable add-ons for Chair's recently released Xbox Live Arcade game, Shadow Complex.

The answer? Non-committal, at best. But when asked, Donald Mustard had this to say...

When Gamasutra asked Mustard about such a possibility, he hesitated, thought, and replied, "Man, you're going to make me tip my hand too much." 

Public relations interceded and suggested he didn't have to answer the question; Mustard added, simply: "I think that's a really compelling idea -- how about that?"

...that sounds a lot like a "yes" to me. Of course, a developer finding something "compelling" doesn't automatically turn into additional content... but there are plenty of signs out there that Shadow Complex is proving to be extremely popular right out of the gate. Anecdotally, over 40 percent of my friends list has played the game.

But if you're interested in numbers that are slightly more meaningful, how about this: 3,431 of the Giant Bomb users who have synched up their Xbox Live accounts with our achievement system have already played the full version of Shadow Complex, which was officially released yesterday. To give you some perspective, Madden NFL 10 (released last week) has 798 players. 'Splosion Man has earned 3,133 players in the weeks since its release. At this rate, Shadow Complex will catch up to Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (5,339), like, tomorrow?

So, yeah, I think doing some additional Shadow Complex stuff might be a good idea. People seem to be interested in it.
Staff
#1 Posted by Jeff (3479 posts) -
How about a waterskiing minigame? 
Gamasutra's Christian Nutt has a quick article up on the possibility of downloadable add-ons for Chair's recently released Xbox Live Arcade game, Shadow Complex.

The answer? Non-committal, at best. But when asked, Donald Mustard had this to say...

When Gamasutra asked Mustard about such a possibility, he hesitated, thought, and replied, "Man, you're going to make me tip my hand too much." 

Public relations interceded and suggested he didn't have to answer the question; Mustard added, simply: "I think that's a really compelling idea -- how about that?"

...that sounds a lot like a "yes" to me. Of course, a developer finding something "compelling" doesn't automatically turn into additional content... but there are plenty of signs out there that Shadow Complex is proving to be extremely popular right out of the gate. Anecdotally, over 40 percent of my friends list has played the game.

But if you're interested in numbers that are slightly more meaningful, how about this: 3,431 of the Giant Bomb users who have synched up their Xbox Live accounts with our achievement system have already played the full version of Shadow Complex, which was officially released yesterday. To give you some perspective, Madden NFL 10 (released last week) has 798 players. 'Splosion Man has earned 3,133 players in the weeks since its release. At this rate, Shadow Complex will catch up to Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (5,339), like, tomorrow?

So, yeah, I think doing some additional Shadow Complex stuff might be a good idea. People seem to be interested in it.
Staff
#2 Posted by SamuraiBudgerigar (129 posts) -

Just completed it so.... Yes please.

#3 Posted by destruktive (1069 posts) -

I hope that there will be even though I'm not halfway through it.

I just really like that game

#4 Posted by gimmysumcowbel (418 posts) -

would definatley be happy if DLC came out. i really enjoy this game

#5 Posted by iiNF3RNo (214 posts) -

i loved this game would like some dlc

#6 Posted by Zoombini (64 posts) -

That would be much appreciated by me. Shadow Complex isn't without its flaws but it is still one of the most impressive XBLA games released thus far. I hope they continue to support it.

#7 Posted by MB (12207 posts) -

That sounds to me like..."We're planning on releasing DLC for Shadow Complex if it sells enough...give it another week or two for us to monitor sales."

#8 Posted by Aishan (1014 posts) -

Is there precedent for DLC for an XBLA game? What do MS think about it, given their previous strict limits on what devs could do with the platform?

#9 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

The game is good, but...meh. I mean for an ARCADE game it's quite a bit of fun but when I have the option of playing a full priced game (like Batman AA) why would I want to play this? I mean admittedly this is closer to resembling a full retail release than most others (as was BF1943). You can still tell it's an arcade game though....

#10 Posted by HT101 (1153 posts) -

This is a great game.  I just finished it about 30 minutes ago and I really enjoyed it.  I still need to find all the items so I will probably be doing that in the upcoming days.

#11 Posted by Kohe321 (3523 posts) -

Great game!

#12 Posted by Death_Burnout (3796 posts) -

"I'm on the list!"

#13 Posted by ValiantGoat (376 posts) -

More people need to play Symphony of the Night!

#14 Edited by wiII (108 posts) -

I would rather have another full game made and released for 15 bucks, rather than $5 DLC that just tacks some stuff on.   But I'd take it in any form as long as it's worth it.  

And yes there is precedent for DLC on live arcade, uno, worms, tons of games have DLC.

#15 Posted by JOURN3Y (230 posts) -

Wish I could get this on the PSN. *sad melodramatic sigh*

#16 Posted by Anthony_Galindo (92 posts) -

I don't know what they could add to the game, but I'd buy it.

#17 Posted by ElectricHaggis (630 posts) -

Hey, I'm one of those 3,431 people!  I'm only a couple of hours in though.

#18 Posted by ikiddo (15 posts) -

Pretty please?

With a cherry on top!

#19 Posted by JacobForrest (307 posts) -

The gameplay in SC is renewable enough that you can go back to it again and again without getting bored, so DLC is a no-brainer for this game.

#20 Posted by Johanz (248 posts) -

GB community likes their Shadow Complex! And so does I. This is what I want from Live Arcade, good meaty games with a slight tad lower production values than (most) 60 dollar games. I like Geometry Wars and such but I really love these kind of games that are a bit more engaging.

#21 Posted by fugie7 (1109 posts) -

yeah a dlc for the game would be really cool.

#22 Posted by HatKing (5876 posts) -

I'm enjoying the game myself, but sadly I'm the only person on my friends list who has played it. :(  A couple of my friends weren't even aware of what it was.
#23 Posted by jkz (4008 posts) -
@HatKing said:
" I'm enjoying the game myself, but sadly I'm the only person on my friends list who has played it. :(  A couple of my friends weren't even aware of what it was. "
Yeah me as well, It's depressing not having anyone to compete with *sadface*
#24 Posted by PhilESkyline (774 posts) -

This is marketing at it's finest.  Release the game for $15 bucks, throw in a couple DLC packs for $15 a pop and you have yourself a full retail game.  I can't hate, it's business.

#25 Posted by giyanks22 (2681 posts) -

the game is amazing...can't wait to finish it.

#26 Posted by TheThirstyWhale (67 posts) -

I would be adding to the numbers playing if my xbox didn't red ring last night...
#27 Posted by Mace (26 posts) -

As soon as they make a PS3 version of the game (or a PC version) I will buy it and play it.

#28 Posted by wibby (254 posts) -

Hook me up with that one! yes deffo DLC!
#29 Posted by SteepInKline (162 posts) -

I hope that whatever DLC comes out will continue the story; after all, simply having more Proving Grounds levels sounds lame.

#30 Posted by HatKing (5876 posts) -
@jukezypoo:
Yeah but at least we can enjoy the fact they we will always be number 1 on our personal leaderboards. :P
#31 Posted by RagingLion (1365 posts) -

Just wanted to say that it's really cool how all the stats you're gathering from the GB community can be used to gain some interesting insights into things like this.  Obviously those have joined GB and then on top of that synced up their accounts are only a certain skew of game-players but its really compelling and interesting stuff that you're finding out.  I'm sure that's what you guys are thinking are excited about that - just a matter of coming up with meaningful applications from the data.

#32 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

A secret boss or two woulda been nice.

#33 Posted by dvmoc (11 posts) -

personally I would love to see an add-on pack along the lines of Metal Gear Solid's VR Missions for Proving Grounds, just a ton more shorter focused challenges.  additional story would be good as well, but lets be honest (as has been mentioned by many people) the story isn't the strongest part of the game.

#34 Posted by InsanePotato (206 posts) -

Bought it, played it, loved it. No where near finished yet and i'll keep going till i do and then probably another time. DLC for this would be so easy and would be devoured by consumers in a second, myself included. More weapons, more modes, more bosses, more missions, whatever, just make it happen :).

#35 Posted by Fakenham (9 posts) -

Sure, I'd like some more Shadow Complex, but what could you add to it really? DLC for a downloadable title seems a bit beside the point really, but then again Shadow Complex is a special case as far as downloadable titles go. I think I'd prefer a sequel for next summer.

Ah, who am I kidding? If there's DLC I'm buying it regardless.

Fucking wierd that we're discussing sequels and DLC just the day after release though. But you could see that as a really good sign I guess.

#36 Posted by Relys (984 posts) -

I just bought this. It's awesome.

#37 Posted by yates (382 posts) -

I'm glad this game is doing so well. It's proof that people are still really interested in these types of games, hopefully we will start seeing more of them.

#38 Edited by Dethfish (3638 posts) -

There is supposedly a glitch in the Shadow Complex demo that lets you play the entire game without paying for it. Anyone else heard about that?

Actually, this might be old news. Nevermind.

#39 Posted by D (234 posts) -

Hellz ya, I haven't pick it up yet but once I get paid its on. But any DLC for games I like I usually get.

#40 Posted by Trilogy (2648 posts) -

I'm about an hour and a half in but I'm having a blast so far with the game. Bring on the dlc!

#41 Edited by SoulEdgeSlayer (534 posts) -

I sat down on my final day of summer (yesterday) and played through the whole game on normal. 

Got home from classes about 30 minutes ago, and just finished the proving grounds. 

I am addicted. Why did this have to come out right at the beginning of the semester?!?

EDIT: Also, if you want, add me to your friends list. I would like to compare my stats to more people (only 2 people on my friends list have played it). GT: SoulEdgeSlayer

#42 Posted by MildMolasses (3218 posts) -
@HatKing:
I get that joy from almost every game. The only friend of mine that spends nearly as much time as I do gaming, pretty much plays Halo 3 MP. So no matter what the game (so long as its not Halo 3) I'm at that top!
#43 Posted by killdave (1073 posts) -

Game of the year for me right now.

#44 Posted by tactis (353 posts) -

hell yeah DLC would be great, love this game so much!!! best game out this year so far by a long shot must have.

#45 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

That would be pretty cool. I still need to finish it though.

#46 Posted by theMcNasty (741 posts) -

I learned about this game for the first time through your developer-driven Quick Look.  Bought it the day it came out.

Vidjya Reevue was spot on too!

#47 Posted by Dan_CiTi (3240 posts) -

Noooooo please I don't wanna have to spend money on that.

#48 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

the only DLC I want for Shadow Complex is Shadow Complex 2 :)

#49 Posted by Damian (1538 posts) -

It took until I played it to realize how much I miss these games. I want more of this in any form. 
I really hope Chair will be making side-scrollers for a while. 

#50 Posted by ajamafalous (11943 posts) -

As much as I'm loving this game, I'd pass if the DLC was just more Proving Grounds.

I can't put my finger on it, but there's something about them that I just don't like.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.