This Wiki Page is Plagarized...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by jakob187 (21675 posts) -
#2 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

I didn't know we were meant to complain. The Albert Wesker one was just a copy and paste of the file from RE5 but I just went ahead and editted it.

#3 Posted by jakob187 (21675 posts) -

Well, I can live edit...but I didn't know if there was something that needed to be done about plagarism other than editing it.  I mean, despite whether it's edited or not, whoever found their Ctrl+C combo is still going to have points for being unoriginal.

#4 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -
jakob187 said:
"Well, I can live edit...but I didn't know if there was something that needed to be done about plagarism other than editing it.  I mean, despite whether it's edited or not, whoever found their Ctrl+C combo is still going to have points for being unoriginal."

I'm pretty sure you're supposed to report it. It's not complaining, you did the right thing.
#5 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

YOU MAY TAKE MY POINTS, BUT YOU'LL NEVER TAKE MY FREEDDDOOOOMMMMM!!!

*Banned*

:(

That was my reenactment of the dude responsible. Remember to consider it next year at Oscar time.

#6 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

I didn't mean complaining in a bad way. I meant complaining as in bringing it to light as plagiarism rather than just editing it, in which case, I feel like a fool for not reporting any of the Resident Evil pages.

#7 Edited by Hamz (6846 posts) -

Ok I'm not getting at anyone here personally, rather just using this topic as an example.

If you believe a page may have been the victim of plagiarism then please do contact a Wiki Moderator. They will deal with the page and any culprits who have abused the Wiki system we have here. Abuse of the Wiki in any form should be reported to a Wiki Mod, much like abuse of the Forum should be reported to a Form Mod. For a list of Wiki Mods check out the Wiki FAQ here. I know some of you may not know all or who is a Wiki Mod, but never hesitate to contact them with Wiki related issues. They might not post much but they are always doing work behind the scenes here and are a lot more friendly than the Forum Mods :P

I've notified a Wiki Mod of this topic.

#8 Edited by jakob187 (21675 posts) -

Gotcha, Hamz.  I know Bodega is a Wiki Mod, so I'll just spam his inbox with that shit next time.  I just didn't know if there was, like, a forum for this kind of thing, or if it was strictly just a "contact a mod" kind of thing...

...and you know me, I'm oblivious to FAQs!!!
#9 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

There isn't a specific forum board for it, but contacting Mods directly tends to get the quickest response. And you can contact multiple Mods in the same message.

#10 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

First that asshole over at GameTrailers, now this?! What has the world come to! Learn to get your own material people!

#11 Posted by jakob187 (21675 posts) -

Don't worry.  The page was weak anyways, so I'm going to have to make that page shine like a motherfucker!  = D

#12 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -
RHCPfan24 said:
"First that asshole over at GameTrailers"

What's this?
#13 Posted by JJOR64 (18995 posts) -
BiggerBomb said:
"RHCPfan24 said:
"First that asshole over at GameTrailers"
What's this?"
I'm confused to.  lol
#14 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -
#15 Posted by ZombieHunterOG (3530 posts) -

MADNESS?????????

#16 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -
ZombieHunter said:
"MADNESS?????????"
Oh dear...must resist......................this....is....
#17 Posted by ZombieHunterOG (3530 posts) -

SPPPPPPPPPPPPAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#18 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -
ZombieHunter said:
"SPPPPPPPPPPPPAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
There it is.
#19 Posted by jakob187 (21675 posts) -

We can lock the topic now.  =  /  My question was answered, and the issue is being handled.

#20 Posted by mracoon (4971 posts) -

Even though it's a blatant copy from the wikipedia page I don't think it counts a plagiarism as wikipedia don't really have authorship over their content as it's entirely editable. Still wrong though.

#21 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -
mracoon said:
"Even though it's a blatant copy from the wikipedia page I don't think it counts a plagiarism as wikipedia don't really have authorship over their content as it's entirely editable. Still wrong though."
The issue is we here at GiantBomb do NOT want to see information in our database lifted directly from an outside source ;)

Anyway locking this now!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.