Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shadow of the Colossus

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Oct 18, 2005

Explore the Forbidden Land as Wander, a young warrior who must slay sixteen Colossi in order to restore the life of a sacrificed maiden.

Shadow of the Colossus Review

• 92 results
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

Edited By Icemael

☆☆  (out of five) 

Shadow of the Colossus is, essentially, one long action-adventure boss rush. The only enemies in the game are sixteen gargantuan colossi the main character has to kill in order to resurrect a dead princess, and the only times at which you aren't fighting one of them of is when you're riding to the next. It's a great concept. A particularly well-designed boss fight is often the highlight of an action title, and an entire game with nothing but bosses should in theory be an amazingly challenging, incredibly intense non-stop adrenaline rush -- the kind of experience video game enthusiasts dream of.

Shadow of the Colossus is not that. Each boss battle has some sort of trick to it. A puzzle, if you will. Solve that puzzle, and you get an opportunity to mount the boss. From there all you have to do is climb the creature's furry parts until you get to a shiny part, which you then need to stab a couple of times. After a couple of stabs the boss' life bar will be depleted, and he will fall to the ground. That's it. That's every boss in the game.

"But Mr. Reviewer," you say. "Surely these puzzles are complex affairs that require a great deal of creative thinking?" Nope. They're all incredibly simple, and solving them is as easy as finding a single standout feature in the environment or on the colossus and exploiting it. "But Mr. Reviewer," you say. "Surely the furry parts you need to climb offer amazing platforming challenges?" Nope. All you do is hold down the R1 button to stick to the fur, move with the analogue stick and jump with the triangle button if necessary (in most battles, it's not, and when it is it requires no skill of any kind). "But Mr. Reviewer," you say. "Surely the stabbing of the shiny parts requires immaculate timing?" Nope. The colossi will occasionally try to shake you off, but all you need to do is keep holding the R1 button until they stop -- which they usually do long enough that you can wait a couple of seconds and still have time to attack -- and then start stabbing. Should you happen to fall off, you can just climb up again right away to try once more.

The only thing that saves this game from being a complete failure is the presentation. The orchestral soundtrack is powerful (though the way it fades in and out as your distance to a colossus changes can, at times, be jarring), the vast, empty landscapes are quite beautiful, and the colossi are some of the most imposing enemies ever seen in a video game. Some clump around on two legs carrying enormous weapons, some walk on four as wild beasts, some swim in the depths of dark lakes and some soar through the skies, but they all have one thing in common: they are, as their names suggest, absolutely colossal monstrosities of fur and ancient stone. The ground trembles with their every step, and approaching them -- not to speak of climbing them -- is quite the audio-visual experience.

Unfortunately, even the aesthetic side of the game isn't without its issues. The game runs very poorly, and it's rare to see anything resembling thirty frames per second. It never ventures into the realm of the unplayable, but the poor frame rate can when it's at its worst be fairly distracting and take away from the experience quite a bit. Also, the use of bloom and blur (presumably to conceal the primitive environmental textures) is excessive, and hurts the presentation more than it helps it.

Hopefully, one day other, better developers will try their hands at making boss-only games. Hopefully, those games will be amazing. Sadly, all we have for the time being (that I know of, at least) is Shadow of the Colossus: a failure in many ways, and a success only in one.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Icemael

☆☆  (out of five) 

Shadow of the Colossus is, essentially, one long action-adventure boss rush. The only enemies in the game are sixteen gargantuan colossi the main character has to kill in order to resurrect a dead princess, and the only times at which you aren't fighting one of them of is when you're riding to the next. It's a great concept. A particularly well-designed boss fight is often the highlight of an action title, and an entire game with nothing but bosses should in theory be an amazingly challenging, incredibly intense non-stop adrenaline rush -- the kind of experience video game enthusiasts dream of.

Shadow of the Colossus is not that. Each boss battle has some sort of trick to it. A puzzle, if you will. Solve that puzzle, and you get an opportunity to mount the boss. From there all you have to do is climb the creature's furry parts until you get to a shiny part, which you then need to stab a couple of times. After a couple of stabs the boss' life bar will be depleted, and he will fall to the ground. That's it. That's every boss in the game.

"But Mr. Reviewer," you say. "Surely these puzzles are complex affairs that require a great deal of creative thinking?" Nope. They're all incredibly simple, and solving them is as easy as finding a single standout feature in the environment or on the colossus and exploiting it. "But Mr. Reviewer," you say. "Surely the furry parts you need to climb offer amazing platforming challenges?" Nope. All you do is hold down the R1 button to stick to the fur, move with the analogue stick and jump with the triangle button if necessary (in most battles, it's not, and when it is it requires no skill of any kind). "But Mr. Reviewer," you say. "Surely the stabbing of the shiny parts requires immaculate timing?" Nope. The colossi will occasionally try to shake you off, but all you need to do is keep holding the R1 button until they stop -- which they usually do long enough that you can wait a couple of seconds and still have time to attack -- and then start stabbing. Should you happen to fall off, you can just climb up again right away to try once more.

The only thing that saves this game from being a complete failure is the presentation. The orchestral soundtrack is powerful (though the way it fades in and out as your distance to a colossus changes can, at times, be jarring), the vast, empty landscapes are quite beautiful, and the colossi are some of the most imposing enemies ever seen in a video game. Some clump around on two legs carrying enormous weapons, some walk on four as wild beasts, some swim in the depths of dark lakes and some soar through the skies, but they all have one thing in common: they are, as their names suggest, absolutely colossal monstrosities of fur and ancient stone. The ground trembles with their every step, and approaching them -- not to speak of climbing them -- is quite the audio-visual experience.

Unfortunately, even the aesthetic side of the game isn't without its issues. The game runs very poorly, and it's rare to see anything resembling thirty frames per second. It never ventures into the realm of the unplayable, but the poor frame rate can when it's at its worst be fairly distracting and take away from the experience quite a bit. Also, the use of bloom and blur (presumably to conceal the primitive environmental textures) is excessive, and hurts the presentation more than it helps it.

Hopefully, one day other, better developers will try their hands at making boss-only games. Hopefully, those games will be amazing. Sadly, all we have for the time being (that I know of, at least) is Shadow of the Colossus: a failure in many ways, and a success only in one.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By beforet

And let the show begin.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By eroticfishcake

Time has not been particularly kind to that game 'cause damn that framerate was always awful. But yeah I can see where you're coming from. Although I did like SoTC I just didn't really find it very enjoyable as everyone seemed to say it was and mind you I got the game a bit later then most people. I love the concept but yeah, it could've been a bit more...graceful so to speak. Them two flying colossi were pretty damn awesome at the time though, still are.

Abram03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Abram03

Huh.  I still love it for some reason.  And I played it several years after it came out. 

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6  Edited By LordXavierBritish

It just seems like you didn't like it because it wasn't particularly challenging, I mean the same thing applies to every Zelda game ever made except there are dungeons in between with a few more puzzles. It didn't find Portal 2's single player particularly challenging at all, but it was still fun because I just enjoyed existing in that world and seeing what it had to offer. I don't think a game needs challenging gameplay to be great.

It reads like you went in with a certain expectation that wasn't fulfilled rather than really being upset with what the game had to offer, except for the shitty frame rate but hey that's what HD collections are for right.

RagingLion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By RagingLion

:)  I understand your reasoning.  I don't think you're being completely unfair but I have to say that for me SotC might be the best game I've ever played.  I think the nub of having such different end conclusions is whether the underlying mechanics stuck out over the 'experience' or not.  Most of the time I was thinking I'm fighting these giant creatures (the 'experience') which was awesome and awe-inspiring, but if you get to the point where you're thinking "I'm just being made to perform these mechanics in sequence" then it loses it's power and the degree of emotional resonance.  The tone derived from traveling about the countryside to the colossi and the actual fact that I was killing these creatures also got to me.   Edit:  I will disagree with you on one point: "better developers" - I am so glad Team Ico exist and I think they are superb at what they do.

Quick plug in case you're interested, which also explains a bit more why I love this game:  my list of my 9 favourite colossi.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

This came out of no where.

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By phish09

Pretty current review.  What's up next?  Pong?

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By zombie2011

I thought the game went downhill quickly, the first few colossi were amazing but none of the other colossi were as good as the first 3.

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Mystyr_E
    @zombie2011: #13 will disagree with you 

and I disagree but hey, different strokes and all that  
    Monte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Monte

I lol'ed

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Marz

I would agree the framerate was fairly bad at times.  But that game threw some of the biggest bosses ever seen in a video game at you and it was jaw dropping just to think you were actually fighting an enemy on that scale in real time.  But yeah that was in 2005, i personally wouldn't review old games myself because gaming has come further along and the technical achievements of that game aren't so unique nowadays so the gameplay just seems average if you want to dissect it for what it is in the present.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By zombie2011
    @Mystyr_E said:
    @zombie2011: #13 will disagree with you  and I disagree but hey, different strokes and all that  
    That was the worst one, i almost stopped playing the game at that point. Jumping on the wings of that thing was so fucking lame. 

The 3rd one is the best, and nothing comes close to it. 
    beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By beforet

@SethPhotopoulos said:

This came out of no where.

I wouldn't say that; a rerelease is just around the corner. Wouldn't be surprised to see people taking a look at the original to see how it holds up.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Icemael
    @LordXavierBritish: After playing Ico, I certainly didn't expect this to be the "ideal" boss rush game I described. In fact, my expectations were pretty much spot-on.

@SethPhotopoulos@phish09: Why does a review have to be "current"? Most of the reviews I read are for older games. New games I have any interest in, I've usually followed closely enough that I don't really need reviews to decide whether or not I should give them a shot.

Also, the Ico & Shadow of the Colossus HD collection is coming out soon.
    zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By zero_

I'm probably in the minority, but I enjoyed the slow downs in the game - added this cool unintentional slow-mo effect to a lot of cool scenes.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By iam3green

i enjoyed the game when i got it. if i remember correctly, the frames were bad. the bosses were different. it felt like you were climbing something big, which they meant to do. it was one amazing part of the game. the music sounded great. i thought they could use more music in it at times. 

i have to say that i can't wait when the remake is coming out.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Afroman269

I liked the game, haven't finished it though mainly due to the framerate issues which seem to be solved with the HD editions that are coming out soon.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FourWude

5/5 for SoTC.

My review says fuck you.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NTM

The game was awesome on PS2, and will be better in the upcoming collection. It's already gone down in the history book as awesome, awesome awesome.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By McGhee

Oh, you poor lost soul. Being unable to appreciate one of the greatest games of all time just makes me feel sorry for you.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SeriouslyNow

My review of your attempt at trolling.

☆☆  (out of five)
    landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By landon

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By LiquidSwords

@Icemael:

YOU ARE A GINORMOUS HOMO!

jlev880

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By jlev880

This is strange, I was playing this game 10 minutes ago.

thecablekid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By thecablekid

@FourWude said:

5/5 for SoTC.

My review says fuck you.

Agreed

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RE_Player1

I think you're wrong. Also why make this a blog post and not an actual user review? That is all.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@FourWude said:

5/5 for SoTC.

My review says fuck you.

This. I fucking loved the hell out of this game.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bones8677

You hated Limbo, Flower, and now Shadow of the Colossus. I'm sensing a pattern here...

No Caption Provided
    Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Vonocourt

@FourWude said:

5/5 for SoTC.

My review says fuck you.

Sometimes your Matt Berry avatar can go against the content of the post...not this time.

Bubbly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Bubbly

OP made good points. I played the game almost a year after it came out and it just never grabbed me. It was weird as I am someone who immensely enjoys a good single player game (love L.A. Noire, point and click adventure games, etc.) and the game just never had the emotional resonance with me like it did for others. I remember just being really bored playing it. There were times when I would be trying to take down a colossus and get really excited and start having fun, but those moments were few and far between. And the framerate definitely removed some of its immersiveness when it was at its worst. I'll give the HD collection a shot, but I don't know if I'll turn around on it.

neozeke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By neozeke

This post reminded me to play my copy of Shadow Of Colossus again. Man, that game is pretty good. 

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#34  Edited By Claude

I didn't enjoy it. I tried to finish it a few times but got frustrated and finally quit. Shadow of the Colossus was a disappointment after loving ICO.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Slaker117
    @RE_Player92: No, what happened to you Christmas theme! You had it for so long, why change it now?
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Red

Your main way of criticizing the game is by simply describing it vaguely. If you boil every game down to its exact parts, it just sounds stupid. 
    Halo: You go around and shoot people. Sometimes you get on vehicles and shoot people. That's it. That's the entire game. 
    Mario: You jump on stuff. I mean, really nintendo, a game where you jump on stuff? That's it? 
    Guitar Hero: So you pretend you're playing a song on a guitar. Every single song plays EXACTLY the same. 

I'm fine with you disliking a game I love, but not in such a poorly thought-out way.  
    And honestly, when you're dealing with a game you know is so beloved by people, you could act like less of a tool. As I always say, phrasing your opinion as if it is fact just makes people wanna punch you in the face. But then again, I'm pretty sure you knew that. 

Oh SoTC. How I love you.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Bones8677

My Rebuttal, good sir. 

Shadow of the Colossus (4.5 out of 5)

A True Video Game Epic

Shadow of the Colossus is a game by Team Ico who previously created the titular Ico game. SotC has a rather unique experience with puzzle solving and action, tied together by one of the most breathtaking presentations ever in the medium. The world of SotC is minimal in its design and yet is perhaps one of the most well realized.

It's moments like this that sends chills down the spine.
     It's moments like this that sends chills down the spine.

There are no other people, no buildings except for the occasional ruin, and few animals. And yet despite this it feels as if it’s a place that could almost exist, as if it’s a small part in a larger world that has long forgotten about it.

You play as a young man who has taken his loved one to a temple in hopes of bringing her back to life. The guardians of this temple agree IF you honor one simple offer. Destroy the 16 Colossi that wander the land and your loved one will be revived. So it’s up to you and your horse and it’s off to kill something for which you have little understanding of.

As was said, SotC gameplay is really nothing more than a collection of boss encounters. There’s no trash between them, just you and the hulks of nature. Each Colossus presents a challenge in which you must discover and exploit so that you may climb upon them to deliver the finishing blow. Sure there’s nothing really more complicated than that, but the experience of battling and slaying these beasts is so remarkable and exciting that you’ll be cheering every time you take one down.

The battles can be truly awe-inspiring.
     The battles can be truly awe-inspiring.

SotC is not without its flaws. When action builds there is a common tendency of frame rate drops. These drops make the puzzle solving difficult and therefore make the battles more difficult as well. Some battles are rather unforgiving, as some will not give you a second chance if you screw up. And finally the save stations tend to be located far away from where the nearest colossus is. Constantly having to restart a battle from these points, gets old very fast.

Despite these problems, Shadow of the Colossus is truly a spectacle, a perfect mesh of story and gameplay. It does so much with so little that it often rivals what bigger Triple-A titles do with their resources. It’s a simple story about love and loss, but manages to become in epic is size and scope. SotC is a relatively old game, but it still resonates within gamers’ minds as a game that took so many risks and manages to land them. It’s a must play for anyone who wants something different from the medium. The fact that so many people use this single game as proof that video games can be legitimate art forms is a testament to how important and special it is.
    eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By eric_buck

Cool. Do Pacman next!

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SSully

Yeah Half life 2 was pretty shitty too. Oh and A Link to the Past? Fuck that game, I mean 2D??? Who the hell are they trying to kid?

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By EVO

Do you even like video games? You always seem to be hating on them. Playstation games in particular.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By RE_Player1
    @Slaker117 Wow someone noticed :p I dunno I've gotten so many pm's asking me for months why I have a Christmas theme avatar so I finally decided to take 5 seconds out of my life and change it.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Icemael
    @SeriouslyNow said:

My review of your attempt at trolling.

☆☆  (out of five)
    I give this post four stars out of five on the SeriouslyNow Shitty Posting Scale. Not your shittiest post, but it's up there.

@Bones8677 said:
    You hated Limbo, Flower, and now Shadow of the Colossus. I'm sensing a pattern here...
    No Caption Provided
    The pattern being that I generally don't like artsy games. But hey, it's always easier to yell "troll" than to use your brain.

@Red said:
    Your main way of criticizing the game is by simply describing it vaguely. If you boil every game down to its exact parts, it just sounds stupid.
    My main way of criticizing the game is breaking it down and explaining why the parts are poor. That's every negative video game review ever, if you haven't noticed. Go read some and you'll see.

@Red said:
    And honestly, when you're dealing with a game you know is so beloved by people, you could act like less of a tool. As I always say, phrasing your opinion as if it is fact just makes people wanna punch you in the face.
    Writing "in my opinion", "in my honest opinion" or "in my honest opinion, no kidding, this is just my opinion and I want you to know that" is a waste of time as far as I'm concerned. If someone doesn't understand that all reviews are fucking opinions, he shouldn't be reading reviews in the first place. And I'm not going to mince words just because a game is popular.

@EVO said:
    Do you even like video games? You always seem to be hating on them. Playstation games in particular.
    Would I post regularly on a video game forum if I did not love video games?
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@Icemael: If you don't like artsy games why review them at all? People who do something voluntarily that they don't like and then complain about it are just vying for attention. Your review is an attention seeking troll. You are an attention seeking troll. Your avatar is an attention seeking...oh wait. Your avatar is serious isn't it?

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Icemael
    @SeriouslyNow: I review them because I enjoy writing reviews. And I play them because I think "maybe this one will actually be as good as people say". I never, ever buy a game I think there's no chance I'll enjoy.

@SeriouslyNow said:

Your review is an attention seeking troll. You are an attention seeking troll.

As I said, it's easier to yell "troll" than to use your brain. Not that you're capable of using it, judging by your posts in this thread and others.
    mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mylifeforAiur

I don't think I disliked the game as much as you, but I'm certainly willing to admit that it has a considerable amount of caveats.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Red
    @Icemael: Except you didn't explain why the parts are poor. You explained why they are easy and boring by over simplifying and generalizing. While, yes, the core mechanics and goal of every boss battle is the same, that is true for pretty much every other game in existence. In SoTC, you find some way to mount the colossus and then try and stab it somewhere. In Metal Gear Solid, you shoot the boss until it dies. In Mario, you jump around dodging attacks until you can somehow hurt the boss. In world of warcraft you use spells and attacks to bring a boss's health down. The difficulty in SotC (or pretty much every game) does not come from the complexity of its mechanics, but in the ways you must adapt your knowledge of those mechanics. In SotC's case, you must find the weakness of a boss while avoiding its attacks, then, while mounting it manage the grip meter and the platforming to get to its weak point. But, whatever, you find it easy, or simple. That's still nowhere near a good enough reason to dislike the game as much as you do. This review just honestly seems like you decided you wanted to write a negative review about SoTC, decided a score and then tried to lazily fill it up with things that sound negative. All without playing it. 

In other words: trolllllll
    project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#47  Edited By project343

If this is trolling, you've got me. I'm livid. This is one of my favourite games of all time after picking it up in a bargain bin a few years ago. Will never forget that experience.

herocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By herocide

God forbid someone should have an opinion without being labelled a troll. 

I enjoyed what I played of Shadow of the Colossus, albeit I was late to the party and found the frame rate to be pretty jarring. I'd give it a 7/10.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Icemael
    @Red said:

@Icemael: Except you didn't explain why the parts are poor. You explained why they are easy and boring by over simplifying and generalizing.

They're poor because they're easy and boring, for crying out loud. And simplification and generalization are cornerstones of criticism. But feel free to explain how I'm "oversimplifying". Had I talked about the riding and described each individual boss puzzle, my review would practically have been a walkthrough, so I really don't know what supposedly important part it is I'm supposedly excluding.

@Red said:

But, whatever, you find it easy, or simple. That's still nowhere near a good enough reason to dislike the game as much as you do.

It's boring and it runs poorly. That's a two-star game at most as far as I'm concerned.

@Red said:

This review just honestly seems like you decided you wanted to write a negative review about SoTC, decided a score and then tried to lazily fill it up with things that sound negative. All without playing it. In other words: trolllllll

Whatever helps you sleep at night.
    TheLeamenator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#50  Edited By TheLeamenator
    @FourWude: Mine as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.